StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! What type of paint did you use?

Since the shield is actually made of plastic, I used 'Krylon' spray paint for plastic. I went with a satin finish to match the rims, swingarm, and frame, but I may go to a flat finish to match the lower exhaust shield. I'm not sure, yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Angrypeppers, I painted mine with Rustoleum Textured black paint. Sanded first with 400 grit wet/dry paper. This paint matches the lower guard perfectly. I left the chrome bolts for a little contrast. Looks great. Greg

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Looks great NF. I'd leave it like that. The satin is more easily cleanable than flat. I think the flat paint would look ratty.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Oh yeah....I really like the look of those shiney parts being black. I have always thought the shiney parts made the bike look cheaper.

Very nice job.

By the way, for those aluminum parts that you painted....what kind of paint did you use? I would think standard, spray can paint would wear off pretty quickly.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Looks great NF. I'd leave it like that. The satin is more easily cleanable than flat. I think the flat paint would look ratty.
IMO, the flat doesnt look ratty at all. I painted mine with flat black Krylon Fusion and it matches the other shield perfectly. It has been on there for about 7 monthes and still looks great.

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
Did the flat black with Krylon a couple of weeks ago. Makes a huge difference.

By the way, NF, your bike looks awesome and mo' better every time you post a picture. I may have to breakdown and get those lowers from you. :cool:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Angrypeppers, I painted mine with Rustoleum Textured black paint. Sanded first with 400 grit wet/dry paper. This paint matches the lower guard perfectly. I left the chrome bolts for a little contrast. Looks great. Greg
Thanks! I have been thinking of doing mine with bedliner...any one have pictures of a maize colored 650 with the exhaust shield painted black? I thought I had one, but must not have saved it.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Looks great Newfoundlander, it's on the to-do list for me. I've got an 06, so the luggage rack is gonna get powder coated black as well.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Looks great Newfoundlander, it's on the to-do list for me. I've got an 06, so the luggage rack is gonna get powder coated black as well.
I did mine about a month back, after seeing others post here about it. Love the look. I used a textured paint.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I've got to say that the flat color also looks excellent and I have received many compliments on it

·
Registered
428 Posts
By the way, for those aluminum parts that you painted....what kind of paint did you use? I would think standard, spray can paint would wear off pretty quickly.
The only aluminum part was the heel guard. The sprocket cover is plastic painted to look like part of the engine, I used cheap walmart paint. Neither side shows scuff marks after 400 miles.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, guys...

I'm leaning toward painting the lower exhaust shield with a satin finish, to match my newly painted upper shield. The flat finish on those other bikes looks fine to me, but I like the satin finish even better. Just one of those subjective things, I guess.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts