StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a 4 hour ride yesterday on my Vee, which is the longest yet on this bike. I took several breaks, taking pictures, eating lunch, etc. After about the third hour, my butt really starting getting uncomfortable. After each stop, the duration of my comfort became shorter and shorter.

I don't know if it's cause for a new seat or I just need more saddle time.

Any similar experiences or ideas?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I think that's about normal, I went for a 150 mile ride yesterday and towards the end my end:( was getting a little tender and thats with an Alaska leather butt pad. Do a search and you'll find lots of threads on seats.

Jerry

·
Registered
293 Posts
Same for me

I went on a 4 hour ride yesterday on my Vee, which is the longest yet on this bike. I took several breaks, taking pictures, eating lunch, etc. After about the third hour, my butt really starting getting uncomfortable. After each stop, the duration of my comfort became shorter and shorter.

I have about 5000 miles now on that stock seat and it kills me! I have tried everything but an aftermarket seat. Until I get one I have figured out that I need to stop about every 45 minutes or so. If I push it for the first stop I tend to have the same problem you are reporting. I will go 1.5 hours till the first stop, 1 hour till the next, 45 minutes till the next and so on. I fair better for a longer period of time if I just stop more frequently to let the blood circulate.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I find that with the stock seat on the Wee, I can go a couple of hours without much trouble, but by the end of the day I'm having to do 10 minutes off the bike every hour. The gel seat with an Airhawk on it is better, but I haven't taken any rides with it yet that are long enough to say how _much_ better.

I'm debating getting a Russell.

M

·
0 Posts
Get an aftermarket seat, you'll thanks yourself for it. I have a Corbin and can spend all day in the saddle without pain or monkeybutt. Sargent seats come highly recomended as well.

·
Registered
647 Posts

Sargent World Sport seat!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread. i thought i'm being a wimp but i get sore after about a half hour!?!?! i've ordered the alaska sheepskin and am looking at a a gel but i might have to spend a bit more for a corbin or sargeant

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I got one of these http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00168136
air seats before doing the Reno trip.This extended my saddle time as high as 3 hrs (1 hr. max without). It has a valve to control the amount of inflation and I set it to the lowest possible. Flip it over and its black. Bought 2 so we could have stadium seats when needed. Cheap fix until I get a better seat.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Has anybody tried wearing bicycling shorts (or, for all I know, there might even be special designs for motorcycling)? They have some major padding in the crotch/butt area, and they run about $60 - 80 for a good set. They have the second advantage of all the moisture control, which I'm thinking is going to be a big deal on a long ride in the summertime.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Russel Seat

I put a Russel on my 650. It is not cheap, but very good seat. You can go to the Russel web site and get all the information.
We take two four day trips a year and normaly cover about 1500 miles in that time. There is no telling how many miles you young guys can cover on a good seat.

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
Has anybody tried wearing bicycling shorts (or, for all I know, there might even be special designs for motorcycling)? They have some major padding in the crotch/butt area, and they run about $60 - 80 for a good set. They have the second advantage of all the moisture control, which I'm thinking is going to be a big deal on a long ride in the summertime.
I've bought a pair, but haven't had a chance to try them out on a day trip yet. I have heard them recommended by some Iron Butt riders around here, and maybe on the Iron Butt website. Also picked up an Alaska Leather sheepskin cover, but haven't had cause to use it for more than a half hour or so. Taking a ride up to Tucson this week, 180 mi. round trip plus tooling around town. That should give me an idea on how some if this stuff works for me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My bicycle short's padding is in the wrong place for a motorcycle. It is concentrated in the crotch area.

I have a sheep skin cover that is good ventilation, I think the company was Alaska Leather (I do know it was from Alaska). Stay away from cotton is that is a problem also. THe cover does shift you slightly forward as well as up.

My last motorcycle had a custom seat from Mr Eds Moto in Albany Oregon. Light years ahead of the Wee stock seat as far as comfort.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Bill Mayer Saddles or Russell. Russell by far is the choice of IBA LD riders. I have one one the FJR and have ridden several sanctioned events and love it. i got the Bill Mayer on the Wee and like it alot and the look really fits the bike.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a nicely broken in Corbin (I've had 'em on just about every bike owned....).

Did eight hours last Saturday to Durango, CO., then eight hours back to Prescott, AZ on Monday. Absolutely ZERO pain/discomfort/monkey butt, etc. None. Stopped only 'cause I had to get gas or a bite to eat.

My azz has loved Corbin saddles since day one.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Okay, let's talk about all the "Fix-ups" for sore butts when riding.

First of all, doing a lot of squats and leg presses will make your butt tighter and more able to handle long sessions in the saddle.

Bicycle shorts and sheepskin seat covers are not really intended for comfort, but rather for keeping air flowing in the nether regions so that you don't wind up walking like John Wayne after a long ride.

When I first bought my V-Strom, I bought a Sargent World Class seat. It was MUCH better than the stock seat for comfort. I recently traded that seat to another Strom rider that had a Bill Mayer Saddle that was set up for a taller person. I like the Bill Mayer Saddle much better than the Sargent seat. Why? Well I am tall - 6'4" and it let's me move a bit further back and it also sits me about an inch taller.

Folks out there that make custom seats all ask for a picture of you riding your motorcycle. Why is that? So they can see if the seat is too low, too short or where they can make changes to provide for a much more comfortable seat on your bike.

When you are out riding, please keep moving yourself around in your seat. Once the pain sets in, it's too late. Try not to sit in the same position all the time. Keep moving on the seat and don't let any pain set in. If you can do this, you can last much longer between breaks.

I have not done this, but a close friend just completed a 50 hour Coast to Coast run on his KLR650. He had trained for the ride, had a Corbin seat on the bike and an Airhawk cushion on top. He said the Airhawk is what made the trip possible. It takes up all the mismatch between your seat and the seat it's sitting on.

Motorcycling should be comfortable and enjoyable.

Sometimes it is just not the seat. The distance from the bars to the seat, the relationship between the pegs and the seat and the height of the bars all come into play. I know a lot of DL650 riders that have found the DL1000 seat to provide more comfort than the stock DL650 seat as it sits them taller on the bike. A half inch makes a lot of difference. A whole inch is so much better. Anything that restricts the flow of blood to the extremeties will make a huge difference in your comfort.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Fl-strom:

+1 on your comments. Although I didn't spring for a custom seat my neighbour, a retired furniture maker and upholsterer took a look at the stock 650 seat and we both agreed that maybe a 1/2 farther back and 3/4-1" higher would be the ticket (after maybe 5000 km on the stock seat. We installed memory foam under the existing cover , tapered in thickness towards the front and sides and after a 200 km trip on Father's Day I can notice a large improvement. Couldn't claim it's the cure for everyone but for me, 6-3 and 260, it's an excellent solution. he added height really helped as well as it allows me those slight posture adjustments every once a while that make all the difference. And - you couldn't beat the cost.!

On the issue of comfortable clothes - I stopped wearing jeans a long time ago - comfortable casual pants seem to have a better cut for longer distance comfort for me and they stick less under the overpants.

Safe riding,
Bob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do you know how hard it was to answer this straight?

Honestly, I think the biggest differences in the aftermarket seats are width (wider in the back, but narrow up front) and the contouring of the foam. I've only done 200 miles on my Rick Mayer, but it is wonderful compared to the stock seat (800 on that before I upgraded). Strange as I seems, the firmer seats are actually more comfortable for me than the softer ones (had a Corbin on my F650 for the 750 mile round trip to Vegas and that was fine). My legs are a bit longer and I was also able to have the guys at Rick Mayer Saddles build the seat a little taller and farther back, reducing the bend in my knees.

The bike shorts, or any wicking material, sounds like a very good idea in hot weather. I wear a pair of shorts with polypropylene under my Rallye Pro suit for both comfort and to wick the sweat away. I would also strongly recommend the Fieldsheer mesh pants (they come with a liner for 3-season riding out your way - and are good year round here).

http://www.rpmcycles.com/Home New.htm

Got my bike back together with the flat black paint and the rest of the stuff (KTM mirrors are on backorder) and will send you a photograph when I get home on Friday. Ordered bags for my trip east...just need to find the time....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use the tall touring seat plus the cut off Walmart ATV seat pad shown here

works OK for me.

Bob

1 - 20 of 48 Posts