StromTrooper banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Driveth thee to Newberg, OR! Then head west to Carlton on a nice, twisty road. Continue thru Carlton, heading west on NW Meadowlake Rd, which turns into Nestucca River Rd, which is an even nicer twisty road. Somewhere before Blaine, the pavement will end for a few miles. On my '96 Shadow 1100 A.C.E. it was sketchy and super slow going; on a Vstrom it'll be almost like pavement. :) After the dirt ends, be prepared for several miles of one of the finest, smoothest, most hidden and amazing roads in all of Oregon! Keep going west on that till you get to Beaver (the pavement will have gotten pretty bad by then), then turn North and head to: Tillamook! I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Tillamook!

Visit the Tillamook Air Museum; one of a handfull of remaining Blimp Hangers in the USA.
Visit the Tillamook Ice Cream Factory!

From there, head west to the 101 and go either north to Astoria (already mentioned) or south to...San Diego. :)

I'm also a fan of the Hood River Highway, Silver Creek Falls (amazing twisty road and beautiful scenery), and of course Multnomah Falls.

I lived in Newberg for 27 years. I absolutely hated the weather, but I always said: It doesn't matter which way you go from Newberg; every road is an amazing motorcycle road!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Consider Hwy 36 in Northern California. It goes from 101 on the coast (at Fortuna) over the coastal range to Red Bluff in the Valley. See the sign in my Avatar. People come from all over the West to ride this hwy.
Have a great trip!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
California coast, Oregon coast, Washington coast are all nice areas. As mentioned Hwy 20 in Washington is a must see, it opens late May or early June once they plow out the 100 meters of snow. Amazing place to ride. Loop back into BC and ride down the old Hwy #1 through the 9 tunnels following the Fraser River, it starts out as a desert and goes into forest then comes out to Vancouver. Then you can circle up Hwy #99 past Whistler and keep going up to Duffey lake and keep on going to Jasper/Banff then head South to loop back around. Be sure to ride Hwy #40 East of Banff down to Crowsnest Pass, a nice quiet gravel road with great views.

Really there are just a million places to go and see in the West. So much variety.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get Google Maps/directions on your computer and type in the following:
Lolo, Mt
Lewiston, ID
Enterprise, OR
Hells Canyon Overlook
Challis, ID
Dubois, WY
Red Lodge, MT
Gardiner, MT
West Yellowstone, MT
Ennis, MT
Lolo, MT
Its a great loop and gives you a sample of just about everything.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Forgive me if I missed it, but what is your timing (time of year & amount of time for ride) of this ride?
It could make a difference on recommendations.

·
Registered
204 Posts
drmonbowen,

I was curious where exactly Bowen Island is in BC, so I looked it up. Stupid question here, but I don't let that stop me; does it get to be a pain to have to take a ferry to leave the island? Or do you just get used to it? But I am jealous of all you Vancouver BC area folks. That is easily one of the most beautiful places in the world. I'll be back to visit someday! Just... not next week, unfortunately.

·
Registered
149 Posts
drmonbowen,

I was curious where exactly Bowen Island is in BC, so I looked it up. Stupid question here, but I don't let that stop me; does it get to be a pain to have to take a ferry to leave the island? Or do you just get used to it? But I am jealous of all you Vancouver BC area folks. That is easily one of the most beautiful places in the world. I'll be back to visit someday! Just... not next week, unfortunately.
Hello A1st. The answer is both long and short. Short = yes. Long = well, it's been 26 years so I'm used to it and it is worth it.

We live in a very rural area (same size as Bermuda, but less than 4,000 full time residents) very close to a big city. The benefits are huge, but the cost (time and dollars) of coming and going are big. Bikes help, as we go to the front of the often overloaded ferry lineup. But to go to Vancouver and back is still at least 2.5 hours.

Come and see for yourself! We have room (another benefit of being here).

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks guys, great stuff!!

Thanks guys, great stuff. Travel time is not fixed but likely August or early September after the school holidays are over.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello A1st. The answer is both long and short. Short = yes. Long = well, it's been 26 years so I'm used to it and it is worth it.

We live in a very rural area (same size as Bermuda, but less than 4,000 full time residents) very close to a big city. The benefits are huge, but the cost (time and dollars) of coming and going are big. Bikes help, as we go to the front of the often overloaded ferry lineup. But to go to Vancouver and back is still at least 2.5 hours.

Come and see for yourself! We have room (another benefit of being here).
Thanks for the quick response, drmonbowen. I looked at your island a little on Google maps street view. That whole area is just gorgeous- I can see that "it is worth it."

Sweet, thanks for the offer! (that was an offer to pitch my tent in your backyard, right? :smile2:) I will definitely let you know when I plan to be in the area. Would love to see the island.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, drmonbowen. I looked at your island a little on Google maps street view. That whole area is just gorgeous- I can see that "it is worth it."

Sweet, thanks for the offer! (that was an offer to pitch my tent in your backyard, right? :smile2:) I will definitely let you know when I plan to be in the area. Would love to see the island.
Sure thing!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
A few places trickling from the memory vault...

As mentioned above, Crater Lake/ OR is a must. The full circuit road with all the lookouts on a nice day will never be forgotten.

For the deserty-type and huge, open spaces Steens Mountain/ southeastern OR is hard to beat. Book well ahead for a fantastic stay at historic Frenchglen Hotel https://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=2
The Steens Mountain Loop Rd. is smooth gavel, very scenic.

Lassen National Park/ CA just east of Redding NorCal, sweeeet!

Just north of Lassen and barely into OR is the Mt. Ashland Ski area, maybe 8mi off the I5....follow through the carpark onto the good gravel right up to the top for incredible views into the coastal ranges and Mt. Shasta

The OR199 was mentioned above...for something more tight and technical and way more scenic (still sealed) turn south-east at Cave Junction towards Happy Camp on the Grayback Rd., then south on the CA96 through Cottage Grove to Somes Bar.
Tack south-east on the Salmon River Rd. to Forks of Salmon, then east on the tiny single-laner through Sawyers Bar and the tight twisties to the Etna Brewery (also great food). Etna Brewing Co. & Brew Pub ? Fresh from the Mountains of Jefferson State

A true gem is the Bear Camp Rd. from roughly Wilderville (just west of Grants Pass OR) up the Rogue River on the western bank. A mile south of Galice turn west on the Galice Creek Rd., also signed to Agness. Cross the Coastal Divide and ridges on a tiny, sealed forestry road (Bear Camp/ rt. 24) Cougar Lane Lodge has some timber decks out the back right next to the Rogue River https://www.cougarlane.com/

The NF33 running north from Agness across Agness Pass and down to Powers, then pick the 425 back to the coast at Bandon for a backway into Coos Bay via the coastal rocks at Cape Arago State Park. If that doesn't twang your heartstrings, nothing will.

The Lava Lake Rd just south-west of Bend....

the McKenzie Hwy / OR242 from Belknap to Sisters through the lava-fields sure packs some magic...

as do the Painted Hills at John Day and the Keeney Forks Rd. from Long Creek...

the OR-NF16 from Seneca to Unity on Hwy26 and the OR245, up the Little Dragon, to Baker City.

Running the arroyos along Pine Creek on the OR86 and flipping into ID at the Snake River dam, what a sight, what a road.

It just goes on and on.

And that's before the gravel backroads and forestry stuff of the Sawtooth and the hot springs at the side of ID75 near Torreys.
...or the Umpqua and Klamath SF.
You guys got some incredible stuff right out the front door. :)

Shit, now I'm dribblin' again....gotta find those backup drives from years ago with the 1000's of pics we came home with...

Oh....and August/ Sept is just perfect for all of the above.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What are you guys talking about, there aren't any roads worth riding around here. Don't believe them, @blaustrom, it's all boring straight roads around here with bad pavement. Try central Nebraska or somewhere like that. Haha, just kidding. :) They've given you a lot of legit info, and I hope you enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Pete and all. Thanks again!! I sure will search out every mention and see what I can string together and not ride for a month. I plan on touring with a friend or my son, they have not unlimited time off (-:

May need to relocate somewhere closer, it's quite a hike from NY!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Pete and all. Thanks again!! I sure will search out every mention and see what I can string together and not ride for a month. I plan on touring with a friend or my son, they have not unlimited time off (-:

May need to relocate somewhere closer, it's quite a hike from NY!

Living in a country the size of yours, the more experienced old hands over here often use the "truck+fly" method to ride places they would either spend a lot of time and/ or $$ to get to....to start a ride!
Just an idea...we do it regularly to maximize our available holiday time and NOT waste resources on the "commute".

If you look up the above, you'll find that some prime locations and places are around the same area and stringing them together creates maybe 3 days worth of loop-rides.
Steens Mtn is a bit out of the way....but most of the places/ roads I mentioned can be looped within a 5-day circle....if there are any gaps, yell out.
I'm sure to have forgotten a fair whack of the tracks/ roads and places our Medford/ OR-based Strom-mate showed us.
Sadly the Bearcat Lodge in Seneca and its quirky owners went bankrupt sometime after we stayed there.....an experience I'll never, ever forget.
About as bizarre as you could make it (in a drunken haze) :)))

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Coeur d'Alene, ID is beautiful. Many small and twisty roads leading to it from the Glacier area. Sisters, OR in central OR is an old west style town and McKenzie Pass (won't open until the end of June most likely) out of Sisters is a fabulous twisty road leading to an other-world lava flow up on top in the Cascade Mtns.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts