StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm planning a trip that will take me through the Ozarks of SoMO (going) and Northern Arkansas (coming). On the way "back" I will be coming from western MO so I figure I will enter Arkansas around Eureka Springs. From there I need to head east towards TN, or southeast towards MS. I am not locked in to TN or MS crossings, just to avoid Memphis. I've never been to this part of the world, at least not off the interstate. I don't have a whole lot of time to tarry, play or explore, just a day of passing through. But don't want to have missed some of the better roads if I can plan it right. Considering my time frame, I would opt for merely scenic over technical and challenging.

Any suggestions from the locals?

Plan B would be to not drop in on my parents for a visit, in west Missouri, and take more time discovering this area, haha. :mrgreen:

I used to live by Rand McNally's "green dot" routes on their paper maps. Is there not an online equivalent that's easy to use?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
You have alot of options. Take 62 from Eureka Springs to Harrison and jump on 7 south like most tourists do.
Continue on down 23.
Follow 86 east in southern Missouri to 65. Shortly after entering AR on 65, cut off on 14.

BTW, TN and MS are east and southeat from AR.

I'd scrap plan B. Although you'll be missing out on alot of good areas by just passing through, they'll always be there, your parents won't.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The good stuff in Arkansas

Eureka Springs, AR

Head east on hwy 64 to Rock House Road

Head South (right) on Rock House Road

until it ends. take a left on to hwy 221 East

until you end up in Berryville, take 64 East (right) to hwy 21 South (take a right)

stay on 21 south until you get to Kingston and boxley, continue on 21 until it intersects hwy 43, take a left east through lost valley, until you come to hwy 74, take a right on hwy 74 East until you get to Jasper, take a quick right, then a left on hwy 74 and follow it til you intersect hwy 123.....take 123 S (right) continue through mt. judeau, you will then continue 123 on the best motorcycle road in Arkansas, keep on 123 S (you willnot have any choice) until it dead ends into Hwy 7. Take Hwy 7 south until it intersects hwy 16 East (left) continue on hwy 16 until you cannot take it any more,

This well get you to the eastern central part of Arkansas and you can plot your own ride into Tennessee. Have fun

Oh by the by I did not need a map to write these directions, these are some very good roads. Kieth Tulsa, Ok 918-446-23245

e mail [email protected]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pretty much any road you take around Eureka Springs is going to be a good one. The trick is to avoid the land barges and the people out having a good gawk. Precious little passing in that neck of the woods. That said, there are LOTS of alternate routes that are still really nice.

The good news is Eureka Springs is a motorcycle-friendly town, with several motels that cater to the 2-wheeled traveler.

That's my old stomping grounds (lived in Stone County, MO for several years); wish I was out riding it now, so color me jealous.

Total fun. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
HEEEEEY!! I JUST got back from those parts. was in mountain home, ar. not familiar with the specific routes to take but everywhere i went i wished i was on my bike. all the highways were simply marvelous. people dream of heading to socal for the roads but i'd be very happy in the ozarks. 'cept for them danged chiggers. i feel like a beaver's been trying to gnaw my feet off at the ankles.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Eureka Springs, AR

Head east on hwy 64 to Rock House Road

Head South (right) on Rock House Road

until it ends. take a left on to hwy 221 East

until you end up in Berryville, take 64 East (right) to hwy 21 South (take a right)

stay on 21 south until you get to Kingston and boxley, continue on 21 until it intersects hwy 43, take a left east through lost valley, until you come to hwy 74, take a right on hwy 74 East until you get to Jasper, take a quick right, then a left on hwy 74 and follow it til you intersect hwy 123.....take 123 S (right) continue through mt. judeau, you will then continue 123 on the best motorcycle road in Arkansas, keep on 123 S (you willnot have any choice) until it dead ends into Hwy 7. Take Hwy 7 south until it intersects hwy 16 East (left) continue on hwy 16 until you cannot take it any more,

This well get you to the eastern central part of Arkansas and you can plot your own ride into Tennessee. Have fun

Oh by the by I did not need a map to write these directions, these are some very good roads. Kieth Tulsa, Ok 918-446-23245

e mail [email protected]
This is an excellent route if you insist on coming through Eureka Springs, but may not be compatible with your time budget. I think he means 62, not 64 east out of Eureka - and Rock House Road is also county road 302.

When I come from Missouri, it's always down 14 through Lead Hill and Yellville. Cut off on 335, then jog up 65 and south on 123.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Push Mountain Rd.

what they all said, works, all those roads are nice, my favorite piece of road, is Push Mountain road, its hwy 341 just south of Mt.Home, it runs south from hwy 5 through the Ozark national forest to Hwy 14, if your running 14 border to border, you can run up Push Mt, and back down again!! ha!! It's a really nice ride. Take care!!

Gary

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was way too short, and way too much TN & AL, not enough MO & AR haha. The first Ozark leg on Day 2 through southern MO on highway 160 from Doniphan to Ava, and then from West Plains to Ozark on 14 were spectacular. The next day I was coming through Table Rock area and jumped on AR-14 just south of Branson, going East. Again, just perfect. Nonstop perfect, low traffic, scenic. Meant to take 14 all the way through Arkansas, but got caught up looking for a passing opportunity behind a car, and missed my turn at Harriet. As a result ended up taking highway 74 from Marshall to Mountain View. Missed some really good looking 14, but 74 was way more local, and technical. About this time I was starting to worry - there were sinister looking storm clouds in the area, and it was raining by the time I got in to Mtn. View. I suited up and continued East on 14, but never really caught up to the rain. At Newport I called it quits due to my fear of lightning. There was a black purple storm cell right over Newport and I was riding straight for it. The landscape is wide open and flat around there, with vertical lightning all around, felt like an episode of storm chasers. Newport was at least 100 miles short for the day, so the last day was a long 600+ miles back to home. I could have stayed and explored northern AR for a few more days, for sure. Like you said, you can hardly go wrong with any road through there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts