StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Hey Rolex,

Good to hear you're getting a few kms up in a variety of climates. Sounds like you've got a great pillion!
We were back at Pokolbin this weekend for another wedding (brother of the first wedding)on the way home I decided instead of taking the 35ks of dirt from Bucketty to St Albans I would go the long way via the black top on Wisemans Ferry road.

When I got to Wisemans Ferry the ferry was out of order.:furious:

I then had to do the 22ks of dirt to St Albans anyway and the 21ks to the Webbs Creek Ferry, all that extra seat time for no real benefit.

I have a lot of luck but it is all bad luck.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The warmer weather and longer days are having an effect. I'm quite surprised at the number of L platers that I have noticed on my commute to work. The bikes and age of the learners are varied.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I hope every one is safe from the fires!

If any firies read this, YOU PEOPLE ARE AWESOME!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
The Blue Mountains are less than 2km from my home. Over the past couple of weeks, they have often been invisible though the smoke.

There is a lot of ash around the house but we are not in any danger - we are too far from the fires.

I really don't know how the firies are coping with the fires.

Our thanks to the firefighters from overseas who are helping out. I know we have Kiwis and Canadians here and, for the first time, a team from the USA. We've sent fire fighters to the USA to help out for the past twenty years but this is the first time we've had to call on them.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ighters-arrive-in-sydney-20191208-p53hxt.html

·
Registered
387 Posts
Our thanks to the firefighters from overseas who are helping out. I know we have Kiwis and Canadians here and, for the first time, a team from the USA. We've sent fire fighters to the USA to help out for the past twenty years but this is the first time we've had to call on them.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ighters-arrive-in-sydney-20191208-p53hxt.html
It's only fair that we Canucks send some folks over. It's off-season for us, and you guys always help - I remember well the Aussies at The Beast in Fort McMurray in 2016, and at the Slave Lake fire in 2011.

Plus, our ski runs at Whistler would be incapacitated without an annual influx of young Aussies. Best pickup line in Whistler: "Hello, I'm Australian".

Good luck to all those that are in the path of the fire. I've worked in and seen the aftermath of large fires - it's gobsmacking.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It's always been difficult for me to wrap my head around liters per100 kilometers.
It's like 1 6/100ths quarts per 109,361 33/100ths yards. Huh? Might as well be bushels per ton-cubit.
While I understand how it works, lower is better, my mind is more accustomed to thinking of how far I can travel on a given quantity of fuel, rather than how much fuel is consumed to travel a fixed distance.

Reactions: Macdoc

·
Administrator
6,206 Posts
Naturally the most important thing is "range remaining".
And what did inspire this hijack? :grin2:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
Best pickup line in Whistler: "Hello, I'm Australian".
Crikey! It didn't work for me in Vancouver** - I'm off to Whistler! >:)

** Not strictly true, I did get a girl come up to me and ask if I wanted a girlfriend for the night. :wink2:

Admittedly, I was staying at the Patricia Hotel on East Hastings in East Vancouver - not the most salubrious part of town.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Mebbe Btu's/fortnight-hr

Once the US moves to metric with the rest of the world, you will soon get used to it.
Nah... 4-liter "gallon;" km/g or km/Lg. By the time we-uns' get around to completing the move to metric (the Metric Conversion Act passed in Congress in 1975-no hurry), tranportation will be full electric, anyway. We had a good start: Soda pop is sold in 12, 16 & 20 oz containers; but also in 1- & 2- liter bottles. Engine displacement has moved from cubic inches to cc's & liters everywhere except Milwaukee, Wisconsin. And who figgerd out tire sizes? Diameter expressed in inches, treadwidth in metric, and the difference between inch sidewall height and metric treadwidth expressed as a ratio.
It's been this way since this country was founded. I grew up in St Paul, Minnesota. There, the West Side is south of the city proper, the City of South St Paul is east of the West Side, and the East Side is south of North St Paul. You think we'd ever go L/100km? We burn all our gas just trying to get across town!

Reactions: p38arover

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
With all this smoke around it don't feel like Christmas.
I don't know if you met Daryl, his place at Newnes was hit by the fires, he lost all his caravans but somehow his shed survived.
Being well sealed under and around must have helped, I need to look at Rolex more closely.
I hope Santa is good to you all.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Lovely day for a ride today, light rain, damp roads & new tires - normally I'd be bitching about all that but I got back without having my eyes feeling like they'd been sanded and also without that barbeque flavour in the back of my throat.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I guess it's that time of the year to thank the Moderators for their work. Without the Mods we don't have a forum!

So, best wishes for the New Year and thanks for your work!!!

I hope your new year will include a pay rise in line with CPI ?

·
Administrator
6,206 Posts
Thanks. I believe that VS has us slated for a 100% pay rise this year. ?
I hope that you had a great Xmas and will have an even better New Year. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
I have a repair job to do on the Rangie's bonnet.

I've always said, never park under a gum tree. I did, under a bloody big one - and it dropped a branch onto my bonnet. I'm hoping I can repair it as the insurance company's excess is $850.

They don't call gum trees widow-makers for nothing.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Yes Ron with this drought branches will be dropping like flies as the trees try to save themselves.

And I'm with Gleeful thanks to everybody that participates it makes for a great site to visit.

Reactions: gleeful

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Wow, after two weeks without power and now we've finally got internet! It was pretty scary for a while! Fortunately the beach is close!

Some people have lost everything!!!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts