StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one help I live about 100 meters from the beach breaking surf salt is every ware.
Some zinc and steel starting to rust/oxidise on the bike is their some way to stop or prevent this before it gets too bad.

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
It is very difficult to stop the salt corrosion on aluminum. Aluminum boats use an alloy that is corrosion resistant, but motorcycle parts aren't this alloy.

On both aluminum and steel you need to get the parts completely clean. A wire brush or power wire wheel can clean, but also leaves a polished smooth surface that paint won't stick to. Sandpaper doesn't get into the pits. A suitable acid etch is the best after mechanical cleaning. Phosphoric acid products sold as a rust neutralizer work well on the steel and might also work on the aluminum. Check with a marine paint store for the best info. After etching, you need a suitable primer, probably at least two coats, and good enamel, two or three coats.

Any kind of stray on stuff to stop corrosion will probably be gummy if it does much good, and the stuff that is cleaner probably lasts a very short time. You can try any of this, wipe it clean and re-apply after every ride, and see how it works for you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
another product that I've used (and seems to work well) is break free...

here's a link

I've lived a few hundred yards from the Gulf of Mexico, and have an idea of what you are talking about.

Even if the bike is covered, condensation still forms, and mixes with the sea salt in the air... corrosion for sure.

Best thing would be some kind of enclosure that doesn't allow for the condensation to form, and something like CLP on all the metal.

If the enclosure is out of the question... something like break free clp on all the metal is about the best you can do.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
another product that I've used (and seems to work well) is break free....
This is absolutely all I'll use on my guns. I've done alot of testing over the years with all gun lubes. Without going into details, breakfree clp is by far the best.

Used 1 can on my present chain and deemed it not cost effective. A $10 can only lasted ~5k miles. At that rate, I'd have to go ~57,000 miles to beat WD40...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts