StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having issues with their Hot Grips?

I'm on my second set, I had some on the KLR that I had before I got the Wee. Those ones had the old rotary style controller and after about 4 months it quit. I heard there was issues with that controller and that's why they switched to the digital one. Since there was a new controller I decided to get some for the Wee because I like the grips and they are great when they work. Right away I didn't like the controller as the buttons are flush and you can't feel them with a glove on. I fixed that by gluing a small plastic nub to the on switch. That was great for about another 4 months until I was riding home on a warm day and suddenly my hands were really hot. The grips had turned themselves on to high and I couldn't turn them off. I had to pull over and disconnect them from he battery. The good news is I called Twisted Throttle (where I bought them) and they said that there are issues with that controller and they would replace it no charge. A week later I got the new "Sport" controller. Excellent service from Twisted Throttle. So the new controller is installed, fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
For the sake of reliability, I suffer the inefficiency of a resistor in the low circuit using the high/low toggle switch.

·
Registered
392 Posts
There have been a few versions of the oxford controllers. I've never used the rotary one. V7 is the latest, it is a 3 button unit, one button for on/off and two for temp +/-. This is the unit I installed when my v6 went haywire, it works well, it has a good tactile feel thru gloves, as the buttons are rubberized and now raised. The led lights aren't very bright, however. My buddy had the same problem with v6 and received v6b under warranty no problems and looks the same as V6, he saw my v7 and switched.
The other difference with the V7 is it has two boxes, one you mount on your handle bars for controlling the heat, and another same size box with no buttons it connects to which you can mount out of the way. I assume the second box is the controller and that the bar mounted it just for the buttons. I really like the grips when they work, which is always now. I've never had to have them past 40%.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There have been a few versions of the oxford controllers. I've never used the rotary one. V7 is the latest, it is a 3 button unit, one button for on/off and two for temp +/-.
That's the one they sent me. Definately a better design.

Here's hoping. :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
I bought my hot grips 6 months ago. The controller has 5 buttons. On/off and 4 different heat positions. No issues and I can feel the buttons with gloves on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts