StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get an 08 and I'm trying to improve over the OEM heated grips I had on my 07, and I'm looking at the Oxford Heaterz. I was dissatisfied with the way the OEM heating elements are apparently just on the top side of the grips in one spot. Can anyone inform me, do the Oxford Heaterz grips heat all the way around, or just in one spot like the Suzuki's? Also I'm wanting to know do the Oxford Heaterz grips allow you to adjust the heat level, or is it just a hi/lo toggle?

Thanks for your help on this. I tried a few PM's but not getting any replies yet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The Oxford grips have 4 heat settings. They heat all the way around the grip. You can get a factory plug with wire leads from Jim at Easter Beaver to make install a snap.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. Yes I had seen the threads which is what made me interested. I'm glad to know they heat all the way around, and 4 settings should be plenty enough adjustability.

Now for the exciting news:

Oxford Heaterz Grips ON SALE FOR $54.95 (SAVE $20.00) AT CYCLEBITZ.COM

I just bought mine. Here's a link:

http://www.lockitt.com/AccessoriesGrips3.htm#hotgripsother

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think the newer Oxford's have a continuously variable troller rather than set positions. And they've been "on-sale" for that price at that vendor for as long as I have looked at that site (better part of a year). But they do look like a good product and have good reviews. Only reason that I didn't order them is that they won't accommodate the BrakeAway cruise control device that I have installed on my throttle.

·
Administrator
17,527 Posts
I am getting a set in a few weeks, I've heard pretty much nothing but positive things about them.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I just ordered a set. I had ordered the Suzuki heated grip kit a few days ago, but earlier today I got a phone call from Ron Ayers saying that Suzuki had jacked the price up another $37 dollars above the already expensive ~$130 they had listed the kit for. NO WAY!!! Canceled the order and bought a set of the Oxfords for ~$57 shipped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This things rock. Installation on my KLR was pretty easy and I didn't even need to use epoxy/glue since they fit so snuggly. The wiring and connections are simple and solid and they heat up quite nicely, all the way around the grip. Top marks!

I'm buying a Wee next month that has heated grips but I'm going to take these off my KLR before I sell just in case the grips on the Strom don't live up to the Oxford standard I'm used to.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Another :bom_2thumbsup: for the Oxford Heaterz!

They went on easy, get plenty hot and have the added benefit of turning themselves off if voltage drops below (IIRC) 11 V. One suggestion, if you have larger hands you may want to consider Grip Puppies.

They also work all around the grip.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Another :bom_2thumbsup: for the Oxford Heaterz!

They went on easy, get plenty hot and have the added benefit of turning themselves off if voltage drops below (IIRC) 11 V. One suggestion, if you have larger hands you may want to consider Grip Puppies.

They also work all around the grip.
FireDog45, did you use the factory accessory plug or wire through a fusebox?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think the newer Oxford's have a continuously variable troller rather than set positions.
I bought my Oxfords last fall. They came with a digital controller that has four settings (not counting "off"), so they should be a bit more efficient than a setup involving a resistor (like some Symtec units).

As far as the grips go, you can have mine when you pry them out of my warm, dead hands.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I originally had the Suzuki heated grips on my '02 Vee. They really weren't that great, and eventually the wiring in one of the grips broke, meaning neither was working.

At a local shop I found what I believe are Oxford hot grips, or something very similar (the original packaging was missing) - they came with a dial-type variable controller pretty much identical to what came with the Suzuki heated grips. One difference is that these grips are wired in parallel, where the Suzuki grips were wired in series (although there are two connectors for the grips themselves built into the bike, one of the conductors on one of the grip connectors is just wired to one of the conductors on the other grip connector).

Anyway, I still had the connectors from the Suzuki grips controller - actually I had the whole controller - I tend to always cut the connectors off any electrical doodad I'm throwing away, in case it might be useful at some time in the future. I hooked my new grips up to the factory connector on the bike using the connector that came with the controller for the Suzuki grips - eventually. Originally I just had them connected to the battery but after killing my battery once or twice by leaving them turned on overnight, I decided I really needed to hook them up to a switched source.

·
Registered
161 Posts
ive used the new ones over the winter
the heat from the grips is very good ...the new push button controller however is a real pain in the butt to operate mine mounted very handily on the map holder between the bars ...........it is still very difficult to operate with a gloved hand and has bl;own the in line fuse severel times .....the grips themselves are fine nice even heat ...
have to say the o/e on the other strom are just as good ...it sounds like you may have a bad /faulty pair fitted .....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts