1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
17,535 Posts
Not sure OEM is junk, but they are most certainly overpriced. The Oxfords will fit perfectly and work fine with your Kaoko throttle lock, but don't get the "adventure series" as they are too long and MUST be trimmed to fit. Get the touring or sport model.......trust me if you want the easiest install.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the OEM and it's certainly not "junk". In fact they work great on my bike. Whether they last that has yet to be seen and they are certainly overpriced. I just helped a friend of mine install the Oxfords on his V2. I do not know which kit he got but after cutting off the stock grip on the throttle side, he had to shave the ridges off the throttle tube to get the Oxford grip to fit. Not a big deal at all. The OEM comes with a new throttle tube so it was easier to install the OEM grips. We also put 3M reflective tape on the clutch side so the grip would not heat sink in to the handlebars causing uneven heating between the two grips. His Oxfords are nice and for the $80 he paid for them I would say it's well worth the extra work to install.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! I was just going based on searches off this forum. I found people saying that the OEM's did not provide much heat and was basically useless. I guess this may be false?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I could not imagine anyone purchasing the OEM heated grips over the Oxfords. I have a set of them on both my bikes and they work great, and both sets are still more then $100 cheaper than just one set of the OEM. If it's the OEM connector you're after than hit up Eastern Beaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Need to move to AZ! No need for heated grips here..(at least in Phx area) . I always like to have a reserve of amps for all else on my bike.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I wish! I live south of Winnipeg and always ride until the snow falls. Some days I rode in 0 degrees lol!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have the Oxfords,

Just finished a 4500mi trek across the US in temps ranging from 75 to 15 degrees F. They are awesome!

If you get them, take the time to remove the tank and wire them to the existing accessory connector. That way you'll have switched power and wont have to dick with forgetting to turn them off when you leave the bike.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have the Oxfords,

Just finished a 4500mi trek across the US in temps ranging from 75 to 15 degrees F. They are awesome!

If you get them, take the time to remove the tank and wire them to the existing accessory connector. That way you'll have switched power and wont have to dick with forgetting to turn them off when you leave the bike.
Do our bikes have both an accessory connector and OEM Heated grip connector? Or just the heated grip connector

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have Oxfords, the reason was because they were a fair bit cheaper. From what I have heard both are good systems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do our bikes have both an accessory connector and OEM Heated grip connector? Or just the heated grip connector
To the best of my knowledge there is only one free connector underneath the tank, to which I believe is only used for the accessory heated grips by Suzuki.

I know others who may use that for accessories other than heated grips.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The one connector runs off a 3A fuse and is really an accessory connector. Some people have blown that fuse using heated grips, but they possibly were after market grips.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The one connector runs off a 3A fuse and is really an accessory connector. Some people have blown that fuse using heated grips, but they possibly were after market grips.
Oxford's website show they use 4A. Maybe switching to a 5A will help? Lol!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Normally, switching a fuse to a higher rating is dangerous but I think the wiring should be able to handle 5A.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just where is the oe connector for the suzuki heated grips? Some say under the tank, some say under lefthand radiator cover? Im fittin oxford grips so can wire to battery but prefer swiched as im sure I'll always forget to turn em off!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

The Oxfords have an "Intelligent Heat Controller" which shut them off when they sense the voltage drop below a certain level. I do agree that the way you did it is better in the long run because you have no worries whatsoever, but connecting the Oxfords directly to the battery is just fine.

Would love to hear about your trip. Do you plan on making a report?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Oxford Touring model grips. They will fit any setup you have (throttle lock, handguards, etc.) as long as your adapt and overcome skills are strong. No problems with them yet except they do seem incredibly hard. Without gloves, I can't ride them as long without shaking out my hands. The only problem I had with installation (if you can call it a problem) is that the stock throttle sleeve has some ridges on it that I had to shave off to get the Oxfords on. Other that that, I love them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Take a look at Koso heated grips - biult in controller and they install very easy

KOSO-AM111 HEATED GRIP

EDIT - And they are a bit longer than the stock grips so I just moved the entire grip (light switches and kill switch) over about 1/4 of an inch. They will turn off automatically is you go below 12v and I worked them direct to my Fuzeblock so it all goes off when you turn off the bike.

Awesome heated grips and I would never go back to Qxfords.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts