StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and read quite a few different threads but just didn't get an answer and was hoping that someone could help out. I would like to add heated grips to my 2012 VStrom and have decided to get Oxford's. However, that there are quite a few differennt ones out there and I am wondering which one to get based on length. I found an Oxford product page that lists 4 different models. The Touring, Adventure and Sport all look good. They are all slightly different lengths and it appears that the Sport can be trimmed. Do you guys have any suggestions??

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The stock grips are 4-1/4 inches long. That's what you want. The bars are 7/8" or 22mm.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Touring

I have a 2012 Wee also and I purchased the Oxford Premium Touring.

I like 'em. :thumbup:

Sent you a PM with a link from where I got mine.

Ray

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The link I posted didn't go directly to the grip page like I intended ( grips are on page 11 ). The 4 grips that I mentioned fit 7/8" bars. So based on the reply above about 4.25" works out to be 107.95mm (this is a correction to previous bad math). The tour grips show to be 120/110mm, adventrure grips 132/122 and the sport show to be 123/114. Is there a diffence in length between the left and right side grips? Or do you think the second smaller number is a trimmed length? on the web page only the sport grips show to be trimmable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Doesn't 4.25 inches work out to 108mm?? That means the Oxford grips are too long. I noticed on TwistedThrottle.com that the 2012 VStrom 650 does not appear in the list of compatible bikes for these grips. I've been looking at these too- my hands have been freezing the past week!

·
38,103 Posts
4-1/4" is 10.8cm or 108mm. Unless a grip has specific trimming instructions, do not cut them. 110mm is the metric length you want. 2mm is a miniscule amount.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doesn't 4.25 inches work out to 108mm?? That means the Oxford grips are too long. I noticed on TwistedThrottle.com that the 2012 VStrom 650 does not appear in the list of compatible bikes for these grips. I've been looking at these too- my hands have been freezing the past week!
Steve, thanks for the math correction.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4-1/4" is 10.8cm or 108mm. Unless a grip has specific trimming instructions, do not cut them. 110mm is the metric length you want. 2mm is a miniscule amount.
Greywolf, Rainman indicated that he got the touring grips and based on what you are saying, those are probably the only ones that will fit without trimming, is that correct? All the Oxford grips that are listed have two dimensions. The touring is listed as 120/110mm. Do you know why there would be two lengths listed? Also, is it safe to presume that the Vee & Wee grips are the same length?

·
38,103 Posts
I don't know why there are two numbers. All V-Stroms have the same length grips.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Caprock, you are way, way, way, waaaaaaay overthinking this project! I have untrimmed sport grips on my Wee and the wife's Burgman 400. I've have the touring grips on my own ex-Burgman 400. If the grip overhangs the end of the handlebar by a bit, so what? Just don't push the bar end weights in as far. No problem!! Just pick the grips you like and install them. Trust me. the length of the grips will be your least concern.:fineprint:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have a tendency to way overthink most projects that I do :headbang:. I will be ordering the Touring grips today. Thanks for of the good input.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know that you are over thinking it. I like a nice, clean installation myself. The information on grip length is very contradictory. We have folks on this forum saying stock grips are 4 1/4-inches. When I take a ruler to mine, I get 4.75-inches. I called Twisted Throttle, which said it used 4.9-inch R&G grips on its 2012 Wee, and did not have to trim them, even though it has barkbuster covers on the bars. For all I know, 4 1/4 is a nominal measurement, like 2-by-fours in construction (which aren't, in fact, 2-inches by 4-inches). Can anyone settle this once and for all? This knowledge way above my pay grade.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I bought the adventure version of the Oxfords and had to trim them. Its right in the manual how much you can trim each model without over doing it. Trimming them is very easy. Dont buy them based on length, but them bab on the texture you want. My help for an old thread on the day ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought the adventure version of the Oxfords and had to trim them. Its right in the manual how much you can trim each model without over doing it. Trimming them is very easy. Dont buy them based on length, but them bab on the texture you want. My help for an old thread on the day ;)
It seems you might have the answer to my question, Mr. Black, having installed the Oxford Adventure grips. How much did you have to trim to match the stock grips? The touring version are in theory a tad short. I'd hate to have an unsightly gap (which might encourage rain to pour in). The texture of the Adventures and Touring version are both acceptable to me.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I was very disappointed in my Oxford Grips which would not function when really needed.
A fair weather MOD in my opinion. Useless at anything less than 45F

·
Registered
666 Posts
It seems you might have the answer to my question, Mr. Black, having installed the Oxford Adventure grips. How much did you have to trim to match the stock grips? The touring version are in theory a tad short. I'd hate to have an unsightly gap (which might encourage rain to pour in). The texture of the Adventures and Touring version are both acceptable to me.
I would say I trimmed off approximately 3/8" . Not even close to the minimum length allowed for that grip.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I was very disappointed in my Oxford Grips which would not function when really needed.
A fair weather MOD in my opinion. Useless at anything less than 45F
Not sure which models or age of grips you tried but I can already say I dont have that problem. They will flat out burn your hands. In 40 degree weather I am using between 50 and 75% with summer gloves on. I cant use 100% with any of glove I have. Its just too hot.

Very happy with them but they are not that old. I hope they last for years.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Not sure which models or age of grips you tried but I can already say I dont have that problem. They will flat out burn your hands. In 40 degree weather I am using between 50 and 75% with summer gloves on. I cant use 100% with any of glove I have. Its just too hot.

Very happy with them but they are not that old. I hope they last for years.
Bought mine in 2009 when the bike was new.
once you got below 5 degrees Celsius (42F?) they would not remain on, the circuit that was designed to turn them off if left on, would not allow them to stay on due to the amount of power they pulled to heat the bars in the cold. You could sit idling and cycle them on over and over again until warm, then they would stay on... until you started riding and they were chilled again, at which point they would shut off, again.
As a Canadian, I don't need heated grips when it is warmer than 40 degrees, often I ride in temperatures in the 20's and 30's F. ..so as I said... useless.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts