StromTrooper banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K.,
First, I have been through all the threads that pertain to heated grips. The problem I am having is understanding how to connect the grips to the factory heated grips plug behind radiator or to the Eastern Beaver 3 circuit solution i bought. Is either option just a plug and play or do i have to mate connectors to wires (which would involve splicing? ) I also have the 24" EB plug for the factory grip plug. I love pictures, I suck at electronics. I need someone to walk me through plugging these in to either the factory heated grip plug or the EB 3CS. I have already removed the side fairings and have the rear of the tank propped up. I also have been through EB site numerous times for instructions but it's not clicking in my feeble brain. Thanks in advance for help.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
There is a good set of pictures some where here, do a search of grip installation. It helps to remove the radiator bolts and move it forward too and lifting the whole tank off gives you a better view. The plug in question is difficult to see. And it's fiddly to get at.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I recently used the wiring harness for the wee horn. No matter what you use, you will have to snip off the battery connectors from the Oxford controller (they are round) and connect them to the EB plug, preferably using a soldering iron or crimp on connectors. Mark the leads on the controller before you cut the ends off (the positive lead has a red connector and the negative lead has a black connector). You need to make sure that the leads do not get reversed, or the controller will be damaged.

You may need to determine which lead from the EB is hot and which is ground (if it is not already marked red for positive and black for negative). I plugged my horn connector into the OEM heated grip socket (it only fits one way) and then used a test meter to determine which lead is hot (positive) and which lead is ground (negative). You can do the same thing with a 12volt test light. Connect one lead on the test light to one of the wires and touch the other to some spot on the engine or frame. With the ignition switch on, if it lights up, it is the positive lead.

When both sets of leads are marked positive and negative, connect them together and then tape up the connection point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts