StromTrooper banner

Oxford heated grip install

8K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  Mumbles 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed Oxford heated grips on an 18. They throttle tube has big lips on the inner and outer ends. My plan is to just take a dremal and grind it down. Any tips from past experience would be appreciated.
Bicycle part Auto part Vehicle Bicycle drivetrain part Tire

See less See more
#5 ·
Like others, I used a razor blade to trim down the edges. Then followed up with sandpaper to knock down the edges smooth with the rest of the tube. I did not remove the throttle tube.

Good luck with the install

#10 ·
Dremel.

You need to grind off the ridges, too, otherwise you really don't get good adhesion between the throttle tube and the grip.

Leave the throttle tube installed, wrap a bit of tape between the end of the tube and the bar and the inner end and the controls to keep particles of plastic from intruding, then blow the area off well with an air compressor when done.

Oxford Adventure grips, OEM XT bars. The grips are slightly longer than OEM so you will need to compensate for that with some adjustments:

#18 ·
I would install the clutch side rotated about 90 degrees from this photo, so the cable points straight down, then you can zip tie it along with your left side control cables (as long as the cable doesn’t interfere with the clutch lever travel you’re good).

The throttle side I would install 180 degrees from this photo, so the cable also is on the underside of the kill switch housing. Make sure you can go WOT without it interfering with anything.

I’ll post pics of the heated grips on my bikes in a bit

#14 ·
The old version used a "control box" under the seat and a soft-button switch on the bars. The new version uses only a soft-button switch on the bars, the control box under seat has been eliminated. Where the old version was somewhat wonky in its auto-shutoff and couldn't always be trusted not to give you a dead battery; the new version is 100%. "New" being in the past few years... I believe the current version is v8.0.

#17 ·
Also, better to use the grip glue that Oxford supplies. I used a different brand of grip glue that I happened to have at hand and, when the grips warm up, the clutch side grip will get loose on the bar and rotate. The throttle side is fine, and the clutch side only slips after the heater is on a bit. I still haven't fixed it because, now that it's spring, it's not an issue.

Also, when you position the left grip, make sure the cable to the grip heater doesn't interfere with your ability to operate the high beam switch. Mine did. But then I just ran the heater for a while and I could rotate the grip to a better position because I had used the wrong glue. Kind of a good news/bad news thing.

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Wow, yeah those wire outlets on the Oxfords are freakin huge. People don’t realize that Oxfords aren’t the only game in town anymore

Here’s the BikeMaster’s on my DR650
Auto part Machine Vehicle
Camera accessory Vehicle Cameras & optics Motorcycle accessories Bicycle handlebar

And here’s the Koso Apollo’s on my 919, with the controller built in to the left grip

#24 ·
Use the type that you stick on to the bar underneath regular grips, like these
I used these on my old FZ6 and they worked fine. I think I bought a nicer SPDT (on-off-on) switch on eBay and mounted it to the inner fairing. Before you slide the grips on, use a small zip tie over the ends of the wire leads as a strain relief. Then I use an exacto to shave away a bit of the inside edge of the grip to make space for the zip tie.

#31 ·
I don't know if it is still true but when I bought my Oxford grips the offered 3 different outside diameters.
Actually I just looked and it is still true but they have added a 4th. (Revzilla)
Adventure, Touring, Cruiser and Sport.

#28 ·
@leerjet1
I have Oxford heated grips in my garage waiting for some time to put them on...your video is awesome.
Love the bumble bee yellow and black. My 2013 is black with yellow trim and I call it Mumble-Bee.
Your video is really great. Your narration is the best thing I've seen on the internet in at least...forever.
Sucks balls.
Potato gun.
Fucking insane potato gun. (thanks Grandpa!)
Aqua something (net) hair spray.
For fucks sake, every step an adventure!
Bar end ended up working out well with that internal expander.
What could fix your issues might be some good rain gear, no?
Your gritting your teeth on the throttle side, as the assembly keeps moving (grr...every step a fucking adventure)
Fucking disaster scenario.
Bonus bolts!
Fucking pain in the ass, thanks for watching.

Now I'm second guessing if I want to even attempt this project on my own! Terrified, but also very entertained. Can you please video all of your projects? Please!

#29 ·
@leerjet1
I have Oxford heated grips in my garage waiting for some time to put them on...your video is awesome.
Love the bumble bee yellow and black. My 2013 is black with yellow trim and I call it Mumble-Bee.
Your video is really great. Your narration is the best thing I've seen on the internet in at least...forever.
Sucks balls.
Potato gun.
Fucking insane potato gun. (thanks Grandpa!)
Aqua something (net) hair spray.
For fucks sake, every step an adventure!
Bar end ended up working out well with that internal expander.
What could fix your issues might be some good rain gear, no?
Your gritting your teeth on the throttle side, as the assembly keeps moving (grr...every step a fucking adventure)
Fucking disaster scenario.
Bonus bolts!
Fucking pain in the ass, thanks for watching.

Now I'm second guessing if I want to even attempt this project on my own! Terrified, but also very entertained. Can you please video all of your projects? Please!
Thanks, but that wasn't me, I was just sharing the video I found on youtube. He is very entertaining!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.