StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

On a 2012+ and when installing the oxford heated grips, did anyone try removing the plastic on the throttle tube nearest the start button? I have attached pictures to demonstrate. It seems that if the plastic were removed, then the grip could slide further onto the throttle tube. The second picture shows what it looks like with the grip slid over as far as possible and I'd say it bugs me a bit. The third pictures shows there is a bit of grip left hanging over the handlebar with the grip fully slid to the left. These are the touring version of the oxfords and are almost perfect length.

Thoughts? Should I try cutting that plastic off?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Yes I did remove that plastic on my throttle tube when using touring grips. I think there is a thread in the forum discussing that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
5,023 Posts
That plastic lip on the inside of your throttle tube is a simple design element to prevent the grip from ever sliding across and binding on your switch block.

Sure, you can remove it - but should you? Can you guarantee that sometime in the future your grip will not slide onto the throttle tube? It is there for a reason. Your decision.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went ahead and removed it. I plan on supergluing the heated grip to the throttle tube. That'll hopefully prevent the grip from sliding into the start block.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I removed mine.

There are two lips there. The larger one with the triangular cross section holds the factory grip in place and keeps it from sliding either direction. Leave the smaller, left most lip like in Jeffro's photo and you won't have to worry about the scenario that Brockie described. That's enough of a lip to keep the oxfords from sliding left.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The ~$16 heated grips I bought on Amazon had their own plastic tube. Install was a just a matter of opening the clam shell and removing cables and installing new throttle tube.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The ~$16 heated grips I bought on Amazon had their own plastic tube. Install was a just a matter of opening the clam shell and removing cables and installing new throttle tube.
what's their name?

In my previous 2010 I installed the oxford heated grips (touring ones) leaving intact the throttle plastic grip and cutting the heated grip a bit on the right side (Oxford allows that to match different grip sizes). You need to be careful to allow some space between the heated grip and the weights on the handlebar sides (especially for the right one, the left one doesn't matter too much).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Judging by the instructions I can tell this is a quality product.

"Balance ,please take it as well as balancing the installing position, fasten silk don't squeeze his hand .
as the balance of iron can not adjust the installing position, in the balance of iron can not adjust the installing position ,in the balance with the iron hand between the washers of and excessive press hand will cause damage the abnormal"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chinese to English machine translation works in this way... you need to see how hilarious is when they translate from Chinese to English and then to Italian LOL!

·
Registered
458 Posts
It was easy enough that I didn't even look at the directions. I figured they were worth a roll of the dice at $16 to avoid paying 6x the price for basically the same thing. They do heat quickly and I like the slider switch built in to the left grip. Very handy.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It was easy enough that I didn't even look at the directions. I figured they were worth a roll of the dice at $16 to avoid paying 6x the price for basically the same thing. They do heat quickly and I like the slider switch built in to the left grip. Very handy.
Not the same as the six times more expensive. The Amazon grips obviously use a simple rheostat to control grip heat, not an electronic PWM controller like Oxford, or Heatroller. In most situations, this will use up quite a few precious amps, of which our bike has very few to spare.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Installed Oxford Touring grips. Trimmed grip per Oxford instructions, left plastic spacer in to allow use of Throttle lock mechanism. Pretty straight forward. I did, however, need to use epoxy on the clutch side bar due to the "super glue" that comes with the grips. Worked on the throttle side, but spun after short time use on the left side. Just be aware!:wink2:

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I removed the lip. If you are concerned about the grip possibly binding against the switch housing you can cut a circular piece of plastic out of a 2L soda bottle, an oil bottle, etc. Place that piece over the handlebar, so it sits between the grip and the switch housing. It will spin freely and prevent binding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Installed Oxford Touring grips. Trimmed grip per Oxford instructions, left plastic spacer in to allow use of Throttle lock mechanism. Pretty straight forward. I did, however, need to use epoxy on the clutch side bar due to the "super glue" that comes with the grips. Worked on the throttle side, but spun after short time use on the left side. Just be aware!:wink2:
Ah crap, that's what the spacer was for? :frown2:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the same cheapo heated grips, got mine for $12. Not the same as Oxford but not bad either. They use a series / parallel switch and resistors. Max draw is less than 2 amps on full, less than 1 amp at the lower settings that won't melt your hands. Still charging happily even with headlights on High. And while the control system is crude by comparison the switch is much more convenient than the Oxford controller. I had to extend the wires and it remains to be seen how long they will last but at that price I think the gamble has paid off pretty well.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ah crap, that's what the spacer was for? :frown2:
Thats for the NEP/Vista type of throttle lock. Not to worry there are others like the Kaoko that attach to the bar end. There are also the clamp type that mount directly to the grip. I, already, had the NEP so I HAD to leave the plastic for it to still work. I too, was a bit concerned about the length of the Oxford grips. I think mine were, actually the Adventure grips which are longest I think. I contacted the Oxford U.S. supplier and found out I could cut them down a bit which ultimately was what I did. Had em 3 years now and they work great.I wired them to a switched circuit so I can't accidentally leave them on-very Important IMHO!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts