StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Oxford grips, and they work great, however use caution. Towards the end of a 6300 mile trip from here in the Seattle area through Mainland Mexico and Baja the bike stopped being able to start in gear. With the clutch pulled in obviously. I'm not positive yet, but I'm pretty sure the problem was the Oxford grips are thicker than the OEM grips, and maybe even thicker when they're on full heat. I think what happened is the clutch switch plunger because the clutch lever couldn't be pulled in all the way wasn't extending fully, so the starter circuit remained open. Solution is to either cut a small piece off the end of the plunger, or file down a little bit of area on the clutch handle right where the plunger hits it.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
That is the first I have heard of that, I know of many Stroms with grip puppies fitted over their oxford grips and they have no issue.

Have you had a good look at your switch to ensure it is seated properly and are you using a Suzuki leaver ?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
That is the first I have heard of that, I know of many Stroms with grip puppies fitted over their oxford grips and they have no issue.

Have you had a good look at your switch to ensure it is seated properly and are you using a Suzuki leaver ?
Can we all just take a moment to appreciate how luxurious that sounds?

I was planning to put Oxfords on for next winter anyway, might have to Do Both!

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
What happens, is that the wiring hump as I like to call it, can interfere with the clutch actuation due to the grip rotating. I have never had "3" installs of Oxfords rotate or cause a single issue for me, of course I glue them quite well on the clutch side. Oh....I've also run grip puppies over my Oxfords as well with zero issues.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Grip puppies??? I'm going to have to look that up. Never heard of that before.

Ah, ok. Google to the rescue once again. They are foam grips to cover your existing grips.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I actually need to replace my grip puppies over my oxfords.....wore thru the left hand one that is now starting a tear. Going on their third year.........

·
Registered
298 Posts
Oxford + Grab-On overgrips, no issues in two years of use. Heck, they still burn my hand on 100% through the Grab-On and a winter glove!

The wire hump should be on the bottom of the grip and point back toward the rider, just under the lever's range of motion. Use the entire tube of Oxford glue during install and they will not move. I have sold many of these at work and the only problems have been user error during install (hairspray rather than grip glue, wire hump pointed down or forward so the brake/clutch lever hits, not filing off the throttle tube bumps, stuff like that.)

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
I actually need to replace my grip puppies over my oxfords.....wore thru the left hand one that is now starting a tear. Going on their third year.........
I would have expected the right one to wear through faster, what with throttle action. Why do you think the left one gave up first?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I, too, have foam grip covers over my Oxford heated grips. No issues with the combo. Takes a bit longer for the heat to reach my hands, that's all. They get plenty hot -- so much so I rarely stay on 100%. I'll typically start at 100% then knock them down to 50% or lower once warm.

I wore through my left Grip Puppy in under a year. My left Grab-on Grip has lasted a little over 1.5 years. Not sure if I'll replace it or try a different option.

I have small hands. Even with an aftermarket adjustable lever, it's still quite a stretch every time I reach for the clutch. And every time I stretch / reach for the clutch lever, my hand rotates on the grip a bit. This eventually abrades away the foam until a tear starts.

Why doesn't it happen on the throttle / brake side? I'm not entirely sure. I still have to rotate my hand a bit to reach the brake lever. The motion is different, though, since I'm pulling the clutch lever all the way to the bars. Maybe I'll try to retrain myself to stop short of the bars on the left side and see if it helps.

Also, rolling the throttle on and off doesn't move my hand across the grip's surface. There's constant steady contact, so no abrasion.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I would have expected the right one to wear through faster, what with throttle action. Why do you think the left one gave up first?

Like ToT said, it must be the constant clutching. I wear deerksin gloves from Home Depot(street) and MX gloves(off street), which might abrade them just bit.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
My left Oxford grip is much more worn than my right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts