StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I removed the throttle side grip. It's enclosed in plastic. My question is (before I do something I will regret), do I have to remove the outer lip that the old grip was on before installing the new one? I'm pretty sure I do, but I just want to make sure.

I put in a picture of the throttle grip and the Oxford grip.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's what I thought. I looked at the pics on the other threads, but just wanted to make sure. I can imagine how much the dealer would want for that piece if I screwed it up.

·
Registered
807 Posts
yup, outer and inner.

I used a boxcutter to just slice that outer ridge off. I used the same boxcutter to trim the last 1-2mm of the oxford heaterz as well (leaving the outer "ridge" on the grip itself intact of course).

I thought the grip would fit fine without removing the inner 'lip' on the throttle tube, but I was wrong, so I ground it down with the grinding wheel on my dremel. 2 minute job.

I left the ribs on the throttle tube alone, and didn't use any grip glue anywhere. Whatever, it worked. They took some force to get on. I can't imagine it would take LESS force to remove. Once they're in place I figure they "set" pretty good, just have some general stiction. Few hundred miles on em so far, no problems. I went the cables-down route, FWIW.

·
Registered
774 Posts
A dremel is the perfect tool for the job. Made my installation simple.

·
Registered
313 Posts
. I can imagine how much the dealer would want for that piece if I screwed it up.[/QUOTE]

The throttle tube was $35.00 Cdn when I had to replace mine.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well there on and working. Thanks for all the help. Lost another nut in the front cowling. :headbang: When they go in there they are gone for sure.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Well there on and working. Thanks for all the help. Lost another nut in the front cowling. :headbang: When they go in there they are gone for sure.
Hint, check between the gas tank and anything next to it on both sides of the tank with a flash light from the front.:thumbup: There is about 1/8" to 1/4" of space in there where stray nuts go to build nests. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
. I can imagine how much the dealer would want for that piece if I screwed it up.
The throttle tube was $35.00 Cdn when I had to replace mine.[/quote]

If you check parts fiches on-line you will find that the same part number for the grip assembly is used on multiple bikes. I managed to find a used grip/tube assembly from a GSXR600 (not sure the year) and used that to bastardize for the Oxford install. I kept the OEM grip and tube assembly in case I ever remove the Oxfords. If you look up the part number and google it as I did then you may find a used one for 10 bucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts