StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed some Oxford heated grips and they are working fine. However, the left grip has broken loose and is no longer glued to the handle bar. I am going to pull it sometime this week to reglue but I was wondering if there wasn't something better than the Superglue that comes with the kit. I put 3 stripes of glue down before installing but at the time I was thinking that maybe Superglue isn't the best choice. Can anyone recommend an alternative to Superglue that might be better for attaching the grip to the handle bar? Thanks.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've heard 3M weatherstripping adhesive works well. It's waterproof and heat resistant.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
I used extra strength hairspray, and they were very tight going on......not budged in almost 3 years

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
If you dump the bike in a puddle and water gets under the grip with hairspray they will come loose.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Same problem with my Oxford grips I just installed. Left side is loose and will need redone. I wondered about the super glue when I was putting them on....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've heard 3M weatherstripping adhesive works well. It's waterproof and heat resistant.
Just installed a set of Oxfords and had the exact same problem; the super glue didn't hold on the left grip. Ended up removing, cleaning and reinstalling it using 3M weatherstripping adhesive.

I applied the adhesive to both the inside of the grip and the handlebar and allowed the adhesive to set up for about an hour, I think. Then I used rubbing alcohol on a hard cloth to wet the surface of the glue on the bar and quickly slid the grip into place. Let it dry overnight and you're good to go!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the same issue and used Gorilla Glue. It doesn't move now, but I'm pretty sure I'll need an angle grinder if I ever have to change the grips.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
I used a Locktite industrial adhesive, the kind that glues bricks. Only a dab of two so I could get it loose is necessary.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
If you dump the bike in a puddle and water gets under the grip with hairspray they will come loose.
I stay out of water crossings.........:grin2:I have yet to have any grip come loose from using hairspray, I ride in tons of rain too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Same problem here. I used 2 part epoxy on the clutch side. The super glue works good on the throttle tube but tend to slip on the clutch side.:frown2:

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Hairspray will work much better with normal soft grips but the inside of the oxfords is very stiff and allows water in quite easy.

The first time I fitted oxfords I used hairspray and after dropping my bike on the left side in the mud my grip broke loose and it really spoilt the ride.

From then on it was supper glue for me.

To my way of thinking if he has managed to move his gips with the manufactures supplied glue he will struggle to have hairspray hold it in place.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
NOW that I think about it, I did use the Oxford glue.....still rock solid after 3 years.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dang it, I was ready to track down some hair spray and be done with it until all the caveats came in.

As mentioned, I don't think superglue is the right glue for this application because, if I remember correctly, superglue is not good in shear which is exactly what you are doing when twisting the grip relative to handle bar. I still have some superglue left over from the first attempt maybe I will use the rest of the small tube included in the kit and see if it holds. I will probably lightly sand the bar to scuff it up a bit and clean the surface with rubbing alcohol to remove any contaminants (something I probably should have done the first time) and hope it holds. If it fails again I'll go with what sounds like the nuclear option; 3M weatherstripping adhesive.

Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
My Oxfords got to rotating and I have kindsa crunchy 1st three gears as an aftermath. Clutch was not disengaging fully since the lever was hitting the heated grip.
It's good for things to stay in place!

·
Registered
140 Posts
My progression with the Oxfords was:

1) Hairspray. I'd always used it before, but just like Rolex said the hard plastic liner in the Oxfords didn't work too well with it. I let them dry for three days and they still slipped.

2) Hairspray, try number two. Whats the definition of insanity again? Same results. After three days of drying, they felt tight, but slipped when the heat came on.

3) RTV. In my search for what else to use this was suggested on the internet. I didn't want the permanence of super glue or gorilla glue. No luck, slipped immediately after a two day dry time.

4) I caved and used the damn Oxford Super glue. They've been rock solid. I was so frustrated at this point that the word 'sparingly' was no longer in my vocabulary. I slathered the bar and the inside of the grip with it. I'm lucky I didn't glue my hand to the bike.

If the super glue didn't work for you, I'd try the 3M adhesive, or just a ton more super glue. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used the oxford glue. One thing to keep in mind is that, while the glue sets quickly, it doesn't seem to reach full strength for a few hours. You could try applying superglue, then leaving it overnight.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I used Oxford glue. Left grip came loose, right hasn't moved in several months since I mounted it. The left grip came loose again after I used more Oxford glue, so I used Krazy Glue. Bugger hasn't moved since, even on 100% in 28º weather.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
I just re-did my left with super glue......slathered it on pretty thick, so we shall see. Always use Super Glue Gel, because the regular will drip off the handle bar and land right on the tank shroud...don't ask.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts