StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wise counsel,

I'm moving to D.C. in a month and a half and would like to know what it's like owning a bike in D.C. I lived in the Midwest previously and had zero security issues to worry about, one can park wherever the bike fits, etc. If anyone has advice for me about these things OR anything else I haven't even thought of yet, I'd really appreciate your input!

Thanks. (First post after much lurking, so please take it easy!)

P.S. Immediately upon my arrival I'll be in the market for a Wee, so any recommendations there would be great, too!

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I live 8 miles out of dc and have a dedicated, uncovered spot. No problems. Use disc lock on back wheel when street parking in dc. If you had a Gixxa or Busa, you'd likely have more issues... Welcome. PS, you get HOV privileges on your bike.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Juicy. Not sure how connected you are with Wee-ers, but if you know of anyone ready to sell I'd love to hear it. Also would be good to know a trusted bike shop, if you've got one.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Craigslist locally generally has a Wee or 2. Also, Fairfax Cycles is a trusted, independent motorcycle garage.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Vstroms have an anti-theft aura....so you're already ahead of the game. As for D.C. - it depends a lot on where you actually settle in when you move there for overnight bike storage.

Oh, and don't fall off the rooftop bar at the Ramada Inn next to Obama's place.......

·
Registered
672 Posts
All depends upon where you live. i lived half a block ofConnecticut ave for 8 years. No problem till udc and subway moved in. Roomate was robber and assualted in garage behind house. Arlingotn, no problems, Montgomery co. No problems, College Park (Pg Co.) no problems, Just chose neighborhood judiciously.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right off the bat I'll be in D.C. proper (while apartment and job hunting), but there's a very good chance I'll end up in D.C. proper after that too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Watch the wacky drivers because everyone is in a hurry and they won"t watch you. Aggression is the way in DC and the roads around it. The HOV lanes are great but you have to watch you don't get run over because people use it as a speedway more than an HOV lane.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Though there is crime in DC, you have to worry much more about the drivers. They are VERY selfish/self absorbed! They are VERY oblivious to anything around them. There is a personality flaw that exists with most of the people in the area, and it's driven by money and ego. Either they have too much money to care about anybody other than themselves, or they are transplants to the area and they're "too cool for school" job title has elevated their ego's right up into the stratosphere, yet they're barely making enough for their trendy apartment and BMW payments.

You have to be very careful, entirely defensive, and open to refocus your values of the law of the road. I use traffic signs and lights purely as a recommendation in the city, and generally toss them out the window whenever I am inside the beltway. I haven't been pulled over yet, and I've committed at least a thousand legitimate violations. It's all good! :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yeah I don't think I could do east coast riding on a consistent basis. More power to those that do, but it was bad enough in a car. Grateful to live in an area with relatively sane drivers.

Good luck, stay safe.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Ironically, the crazies in the HOV all drive Toyota Priuses (or Prii.) I ride all year, and you really have to keep your head on a swivel, and sometimes you just have to double-downshift and get a little gangster. The part I hate most is that if you try and leave a safe distance behind the car in front of you, I assure you 1-2 cars will try to sneak in there....so you kinda have to ride the bumper in front of you with your clutch and brakes at the ready.

All in all, I actually love riding up here much more than riding in Florida. There's actually some great roads up here.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I ride all year, and you really have to keep your head on a swivel, and sometimes you just have to double-downshift and get a little gangster. The part I hate most is that if you try and leave a safe distance behind the car in front of you, I assure you 1-2 cars will try to sneak in there....so you kinda have to ride the bumper in front of you with your clutch and brakes at the ready..
My hats off to you DC riders. I don't even like driving a tank when I visit.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well where did you end up? I live up in Baltimore but commute to DC in the warmer months. Registration is always a joy in the district too. Plenty of nice roads in the mountains west of the city.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts