StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As somebody who just purchased a V-Strom 1000 and am patiently waiting for the dealership to provide me with the Owner's Manual they misplaced, I have to ask why Suzuki doesn't make this Owner's Manual available free online for anybody/everybody to browse at their leisure?

I get that there's money to be made on Service Manuals, but this is the Owner's Manual, for cryin' out loud. I don't buy that there is some legitimate reason to not make it available. If there were a legitimate reason, all the other corporations/manufacturers would also restrict access to theirs. Pick anything in your possession that came with an owner's manual and I can pretty much guarantee you can find the owner's manual for it online for you to browse whenever you want with no kind of cost/stipulations.

Okay, that's my gripe for the day, Suzuki. Doesn't seem very customer-friendly to me. "Leaves a bad taste in my mouth" as they say..............

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Yes owners manual is handy to have around. I keep mine with the bike for those times I fat finger buttons and end up in Imp. gallons. Hope you get yours soon.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just griping about a manual not being readily available online like it is for literally any other product. The dealership is procuring a manual for me.

Actually, I'm surprised that in today's sue-happy world, a dealership is even allowed to send the customer out the door on a motorcycle without the manual considering half of any Owner's Manual consists of dire warnings that serious injury or death can occur if the manual isn't read and followed............

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
I agree. In today's world having a crash BEFORE being able to read the manual could expose the retailer to legal action. "No your Honor, I did not know that. I did not receive an operators manual with the motorcycle."

What is weird about this is that owners manuals, and assembly instructions where necessary, come with each motorcycle and are inside the packing crate. Interesting that a Stromtrooper here had the same issue recently which ended with the dealer giving him the manual belonging to another motorcycle.
Perhaps the dealers need to get their act together.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
I agree except that in most cases it is the the dealer and not Suzuki who is responsible for it being "borrowed" or lost it. New leftovers can become "hangar queens" and get picked over sometimes (by the salesman to push a sale out the door) when folks need bike specific things in a pinch. A "new Suzuki" owner should never pay for the owner's manual but why should Suzuki have to pay for it twice? it is a cost of doing business to the dealer.

Some dealers (especially the small ones) secure the owners manuals.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
"New leftovers can become "hangar queens" and get picked over sometimes (by the salesman to push a sale out the door) when folks need bike specific things in a pinch. "

Ain't that the truth!
When I bought my new/leftover '14 DL1K, I inquired as to if my tool kit came with everything it was supposed to, it seemed to appear somewhat lacking. Neither the sales nor the parts department had an answer, but...My sales guy left for a few minutes, came back and put 5(!) Suzuki tool kits in my hands. So I have more than my share of (admittedly crappy) tool kits, and evidently 5 customers are missing theirs.
I was also missing the Suzuki "On-Road Motorcycle Limited Warranty Policy" booklet which spells out the terms of both the basic vehicle warranty coverage as well as the Emission Control coverage. Tool kits and this booklet, along with the Owner's Manual are to be provided to the customer upon delivery according to Suzuki USA Customer Service. My dealer's service departs had no knowledge of this warranty booklet, and when I asked the service advisor how does he know when a repair is a covered item, he looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Suzuki USA sent the booklet to my house.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Not me, Brockie, I do all my own work. And even at that, they allowed me to dictate the procedure for my ECU recall.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
My intention was to generalize that if a dealership cannot have ALL their paperwork in order, and on handover day provide a new motorcycle with all its parts and documentation, how then could you ever trust them to do work on it?

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Exactly, the place where we get the great deals on our bikes here isn't the same dealership where I take mine for service. I wouldn't trust them to do any serious work. lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
In some US states ( or nationally ) I believe that its regulation that all safety information is given freely.... including an Owners Manual...hence the disclaimer on page 1....I'm not a lawyer, but some lawyer on this site could chime in....

Go back to that link ( reposted below) to buy the manual. During the buy process, a download link opens up to download a 2018 DL 1000 Owners Manual.

https://www.genuinesuzukimanuals.com/

Trust this helps all....
Zig

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Just wanted to add... the OM is a free download from the genuine suz manuals site in ZipZiggy's post.

The downloaded file has an arcane filename... "webkit<something>.pdf"... you'll want to rename it to something more obvious like "2019 VStrom OM.pdf" so when you go looking for it a month from now you'll be able to find it.

- Martin

·
Registered
426 Posts
Zipziggy- Thanks for the link and, Martin- thanks for pointing out the PDF.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In some US states ( or nationally ) I believe that its regulation that all safety information is given freely.... including an Owners Manual...hence the disclaimer on page 1....I'm not a lawyer, but some lawyer on this site could chime in....

Go back to that link ( reposted below) to buy the manual. During the buy process, a download link opens up to download a 2018 DL 1000 Owners Manual.

Trust this helps all....
Zig
Thanks! Been looking all day for this. Even my dealer was clueless where to download the manual

·
Premium Member
784 Posts

Trust this helps all....
Zig
Awww, now I'm bummed out... The download link is only available for the 2018 & 2019. I guess I'm stuck with my non-searchable paper copy of the 2014 owner's manual.

Also, that under seat compartment the books are stored in is not water resistant. I had my manuals in the zip-lock plastic baggie they came in and they still got wet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same thing happened when I purchased my 2018 two weeks ago. Dealer knew a week in advance of when I when I was picking up the bike. Told me on several occasions everything was ready to go. Told dealer I wanted to be in and out as fast as possible. We had the funds ready to go. They assured me bike was ready and paperwork was ready, period.

After I arrived to pick it up had to wait over an hour for someone to attach temporary plates, then no owners manual or tool kit. 2 weeks later finally got an owners manual. Now just hope I am lucky enough to get the official plate before the temp expires.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I forgot to come back and note that the first time I took my seat off a couple of weeks after the purchase, the original manual that came with the bike was under there with the took kit the whole time. So, now I have two.........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts