StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...with the amount of farkling possible.

Take yourself back to when you first bought your bike.

What would be the ABSOLUTE first thing you'd install?

Right now I'm torn between a dash and an LED conversion kit. I'm not rich so doing everything at once is completely out of the question. Plus, the wife wouldn't like me spending that much money on something that was supposed to save money.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
You rack up some miles and buy/see what you want, that's all that matters. There are so many who turn these bikes into what looks like a serious off road capable machine, and they won't even ride on gravel because they don't want their bike to get dirty. LMAO

·
Registered
894 Posts
If I was in your situation, the first thing I would buy is a top case. Not only do you need some sort of storage but your wife can use it as a backrest. The more she enjoys riding with you, the more receptive she’ll be to spending more money on the bike.

·
Registered
14,823 Posts
I like the top box for practicality and the center stand for necessity.
Many farkles can be obtained here for a fraction of new if you watch the for sales or YUGE hints like Perazzi's.:wink2:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Better screen, fender extender, centre stand, chain oiler and topbox.
Beyond that, peg lowering kit, handlebar risers, crash protection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Better screen, fender extender, centre stand, chain oiler and topbox.
Beyond that, peg lowering kit, handlebar risers, crash protection.
I guess I should've added what was on the bike when I bought it:

Fork stabilizer
Hand guards
Givi windscreen
Center stand

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
@Big B .....just like all the lifted, mud tired, LED light barred, shackled, winch wearing Jeep JK's that have turned into mid-life crisis vehicles!

Yup, they are all over the mall area and I see them going through the Starbucks drive through quite often......totally spotless!!! :wink2:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You have a good start. Next I would say top box (if you ever carry anything) and engine guards to protect expensive parts in a tip-over, maybe dash if you really need it. I got a RAM X-mount from Cycle Gear for my phone, works well. Personally I wouldn't spend money on LED conversion...you can get some LEDs that don't show up as well as the incandescent, which are perfectly adequate, just my opinion but to each their own. Now if you want to ADD lighting, I'm all for that...good driving lights, additional brakes lights, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have a good start. Next I would say top box (if you ever carry anything) and engine guards to protect expensive parts in a tip-over, maybe dash if you really need it. I got a RAM X-mount from Cycle Gear for my phone, works well. Personally I wouldn't spend money on LED conversion...you can get some LEDs that don't show up as well as the incandescent, which are perfectly adequate, just my opinion but to each their own. Now if you want to ADD lighting, I'm all for that...good driving lights, additional brakes lights, etc.
I guess I'm spoiled since my car has full LED lighting and it's like driving during the day. It's the purest, whitest light I've ever seen on a vehicle. I figured if I could make the Strom match that I would be safer, especially during the day when lane sharing here in CA.

I've looked at 30w LED light bars that I could add up front as additional lighting. I've also checked out brighter bulbs for the turn signals and brake lights. What worries me is the extra power draw if I go this route. I need to buy the relays from Eastern Beaver before I go crazy with lighting.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
You rack up some miles and buy/see what you want, that's all that matters. There are so many who turn these bikes into what looks like a serious off road capable machine, and they won't even ride on gravel because they don't want their bike to get dirty. LMAO
+1. Some farkles can be "preemptive" but if you are on a budget, consider BigB's advice. You will learn in short order what you like and don't like. That will dictate where to target your money first.

Precision guided farkling...

·
Administrator
13,347 Posts
Welcome aboard!

As Big B said go ride first and see what's important to me.

Don't bother spending money on those thing just yet.

Fwiw I put over 125,000 miles on my first strom and figured out what was important to me:

-Centerstand to make lubing chain easy (
had dealer install before I picked up the bike)

-Mounting bracket to my Givi topcase (I installed on 2012 DL650, had dealer install before delivery on 2015 D1000)

-Madstad bracket which for me has totally and completely fixed any buffeting issues on any of my Strom (ordered before bike brought home on my 2012 and my 2015 stroms)

-peg lowering kit since I'm 6'2") installed shortly after getting 2012 and 2015.

Other things I've installed is my gps mounts, switched fuse boxes and transfered my sound system.

There are other little things that matter to me but might not mean a thing to you. Ressit the urge to go spend a pie of money on things until you have had the bike for a while.

All the above came as a result of many Mike of riding to determine what mattered to *me*

One thing I've learned is the more I ride the less I farkel.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Madstad bracket - number one mod.

After that throttle lock, Grip Buddies, Cramp busters....

Handle bar mounted Voltmeter and USB Charging plus the RAM mounts...mine has cup holder for easy hydration as I don't like the bag type.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well, going back 5 years here's what I'd do first. So much fun!

Rancho shock covers
Foam grip covers
Eastern Beaver H4 Head light relay kit
Eastern Beaver Aux pig tail
Digital led voltmeter
Givi adjustable Windscreen 3101

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Madstad bracket - number one mod.

After that throttle lock, Grip Buddies, Cramp busters....

Handle bar mounted Voltmeter and USB Charging plus the RAM mounts...mine has cup holder for easy hydration as I don't like the bag type.
For the GPS/phone Ram mount.... I can't decide between an over-the-dash or mirror extender variant. Right now I have my Rokform attached to my handlebars and that works fine but I'd like to have it a little more in my line of sight so I'm not having to look all the way down to my bars.

I have a dash in the mail headed my way so I'll have a voltmeter and ports installed by next week.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here's a couple of things......

Voltmeter. Helps keep an eye on your charging system in spite of recent upgrades by Suzuki.
Also frame sliders or engine guards. With a top heavy bike it can be hard to hold once it starts to tip. Plastics can be pricey.

Safe riding,
Sp56

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I started out with the cheap ones first and went from there.

Grab on grips, cheapo heated grips, OEM brush guards.

Modified the seat, cut out hard foam and installed soft foam. Got rid of the extra things I didn't need to save weight etc.

Got the Akra pipe for it within 6 months.

All my mods are done as of now but it adds up to thousands probably. :grin2:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts