StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry, GreyWolf, I had to... but anyways ok, so I'm a new WEE owner, and aside from the 5 pages of nonsense I read, I have a legitimate tire question. I know absolutely nothing about riding except to turn the key, press the button and use controlled methods to change gears while accelerating and braking, I'm not even very good at that... but I just got a bike and was reading, and it says the spec rear on the '08 is a 150/70, but installed is a 170/60... can anyone tell me if there are an risks/advantages to such a tire size, and since I've already put 1500 miles on it, will I notice a big difference if I go back to OEM? thank you!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I got a little time so I reopened, re-titled and moved this thread.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oversized tires will mushroom. Basically, the rim pinches them together further than they were designed to be, which makes the edges "fall off" steeper than originally intended. To a certain degree, this can help tip in because it makes the tire taller. It can, however, change the geometry enough to affect stability in corners. You'll also likely never get to the edge of an oversized tire (unless you lay the bike down).

·
Registered
621 Posts
I agree with Greywolf and pinballer, IMHO just ride it as is until you get your money's worth out of the tyre, then replace it with a standard size. By that time you'll have more idea what type of tyre you want to move on to.
You'll notice some difference in handling anytime you change a tyre, even if its to the same type, as the wear will have changed the profile.

Reactions: pinballer

·
Administrator
6,186 Posts
I have experimented with different tyre sizes from time to time and seldom found the result to be better overall. Damn those bike manufacturers sometimes get it right.

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
Once you get the correct tire size, the handling will seem quicker.
BMW made a 5" and 5 1/2" rim for the 1100S. A friend noticed better handling with the narrower rim.
Makers put a lot of engineering into the product. Folks insist on trying to change stuff empirically and the result is usually less than satisfactory.
Besides, those bigger sizes cost MORE!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts