StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if there is any oversize fuel tank available for the V-Strom

last saturday afternoon, the power went out at my house, for some reason I had no fuel in my generator, so I drove my cage to gas station, upon return as I pull into my barn, I see my brand new 7 day old 07 Strom 1k on its side in my barn :confused: not sure how it happened, although it didn't fall when I was leaving, it prolly was due to a chain of events from when I was fumbling around in the dark looking for my gas can

damage, big freeking dent in tank and broken mirror mount, no question in my mind, my insurance will get me a new tank, I'd like to increase the capacity if anything is available

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
17,542 Posts
wondering if there is any oversize fuel tank available for the V-Strom

last saturday afternoon, the power went out at my house, for some reason I had no fuel in my generator, so I drove my cage to gas station, upon return as I pull into my barn, I see my brand new 7 day old 07 Strom 1k on its side in my barn :confused: not sure how it happened, although it didn't fall when I was leaving, it prolly was due to a chain of events from when I was fumbling around in the dark looking for my gas can

damage, big freeking dent in tank and broken mirror mount, no question in my mind, my insurance will get me a new tank, I'd like to increase the capacity if anything is available
Almost 6 gallons isn't enough????:eek: You are gonna make your bike into a pig of a Goldwing. I don't however, believe there are any aftermarket options.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Almost 6 gallons isn't enough????:eek: You are gonna make your bike into a pig of a Goldwing. I don't however, believe there are any aftermarket options.
one of the reasons I got the strom is to tour and explore some of the more remote area's, I've only got 2 tanks on it so far, but it looks like the range is 200-225 miles, I'd like to get the range up to 300 if possible

auxillary tank has been on my mind since I bought it, but if I can get a single replacement tank that gets me clos to 300, I would prefer that

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
17,542 Posts
one of the reasons I got the strom is to tour and explore some of the more remote area's, I've only got 2 tanks on it so far, but it looks like the range is 200-225 miles, I'd like to get the range up to 300 if possible

auxillary tank has been on my mind since I bought it, but if I can get a single replacement tank that gets me clos to 300, I would prefer that
I can get as much as 250 or better. The 650 gets better overall mileage, maybe that would have been the better choice. An auxillary fuel tank is probably your only other option. Best of luck, with your quest.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can get as much as 250 or better. The 650 gets better overall mileage, maybe that would have been the better choice. An auxillary fuel tank is probably your only other option. Best of luck, with your quest.

650 is a bit underpowered for long distance riding, it's capable for sure, but not ideal, I make that statement with 135,000 miles on a SV650

I just had an idea, my tank will get replaced with a new one, I will be able to take the old one and modify it, maybe increase capacity to 8gal or so

·
Registered
148 Posts
Doesn't somebody make a tank near ten gallons for the GS? Maybe that would fit?

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
650 is a bit underpowered for long distance riding, it's capable for sure, but not ideal, I make that statement with 135,000 miles on a SV650

I just had an idea, my tank will get replaced with a new one, I will be able to take the old one and modify it, maybe increase capacity to 8gal or so
Randy,

A lot of guys who endurance race have done that. It's not too difficult to weld in some metal and make the tank bigger, making it look decent at the same time is a little harder. :) Search around in the endurance racing section of the WERA BBS, you'll find a number of threads dealing with it.

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
ooooooooooooooooooooooooh your so bad. ;-]

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
My 650 runs better the longer it runs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wouldn't want a bigger tank on mine, by the time I need fuel I need to take a leak so I may as well fuel up. Now if I could get a bigger bladder......

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 17 of 17 Posts