StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this, so hopefully this is the right place. Been a long time since I have owned a street worthy bike and I need to gear up. Picked up a Shoei 1100 and a Tour Master Flex jacket. Want to pick up some over pants. I'm in Southern CA, so temps don't get that cold. Any recommendations on comfortable, vented over pants with guards that aren't too bulky? I'll be wearing them over shorts or jeans. Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Best bet for gear over street clothes is aerostich. I don't personally use one because I don't ride to work and thus don't need overgear...but people swear by them.

·
Registered
710 Posts
First Gear mesh with zip out waterproof liner here.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Revzilla.com has a good selection, decent prices and good service, and most importantly: lots of videos that show all the features and details of the gear. Best to buy local if you can, so you can try them on and strengthen your local economy and all that. But if you can't, Revzilla has free shipping on exchanges if it doesn't fit.

Jeez, I sound like an ad. But I have no connection and they really are pretty great.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you live in SoCal drive up to Motoport. Best cycle gear on the market. Motoport had both Cordura and Kevlar products. Small shop that does custom sizing. They have overpants. Motoport

I've had a set of the air mesh kevlar for two-ish years now. Still looks new and I have ZERO doubt that my skin will be safe in case of a get off.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I live in SO Cal too and it gets really cold going up Hwy 2 or 39 to have coffee early in the morning in the winter.
I got by with some ski pants I got at Burlington before I got Aerostitch. There are so many makers of riding gear now the choice is mind boggling. Try Chapparall in San Berdu or shop on line. Support your local dealer by shopping there?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Olympia makes a nice vented over pant (can't recall the name), but I've been very happy with them
Myself & a bunch of riding buddies all have Olympia gear, very good quality at a reasonable price. Most shows they attend you will meet the owner & he is a great help at getting fitted right.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll check them out. Going to make a run to Chaparral on Saturday as they always have a good selection.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I use Aerostich Darien's but I would never call them vented! I love them but, if I had it to do over...I wouldn't get black! WAY to HOT in the summer. I think the gray or tan would be cool enough , even without real venting. I unzip the legs to the top of my boots and get decent air (unless I'm on the fat side of my spectrum:thumbdown:)

The Olympia pants with the zip open vent panels looks like a good compromise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a pair of Rev'It pants that are fantastic. Zip out thermal liner, lots of venting, and decent armor. I think I paid about $185 on sale, and they were worth every penny. They also zip right onto my Olympia jacket, though I only zip them together for longer rides.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Olympia makes a nice vented over pant (can't recall the name), but I've been very happy with them
Airglide.

I actually bought a pair of them before my Tour Master pants. They did not fit me well at all. They do not offer short or long sizes. Supposedly the cuffs are hem-able for us short-round types. But I found the knee padding could not be adjusted high enough, even when on the bike.

I returned the Airglides for the Tour Master pants for less and have been glad I did.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Second that!

I like my First gear overpants, they offer protection and as long as your moving you will stay cool! Stop and go, nothing helps there!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
overpants

I have First gGEar summer weight and winter weight over pants

In the S.F. Bay Area I wear the summer pants all year long without the inner liner

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input. I'm a year round shorts kind of guy, so heat is an issue. I want something I can pull over my shorts and remove them easily when I get to where I'm going.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like Fieldsheer Mercury Pants..they have full length side zippers which makes them easy on and off. Good luck~!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I like Fieldsheer Mercury Pants..they have full length side zippers which makes them easy on and off. Good luck~!
I have the Fieldsheer Mercury pants as well. They're great, but probably not for SoCal's hot weather.

SoCal, since you bought the Tourmaster Flex jacket, take a look at the Flex pants or the Venture Air pants. Joe Rocket makes a similar pant that gets good reviews for multi-season use, called the Alter Ego.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the Fieldsheer Mercury pants as well. They're great, but probably not for SoCal's hot weather.
I'm in So Cal also..vents work fairly well, but for summer I have the mesh one that Fieldsheer use to sell. Don't wear shorts, and mesh pants in 100+ degree weather..the hot air on your legs is scorching at freeway speeds~!! hahaha

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Don't wear shorts, and mesh pants in 100+ degree weather..the hot air on your legs is scorching at freeway speeds~!! hahaha
You might want to czech out some of the Tiez Mesh riding suits - one of this site's sponsors - nice stuff too. Welcome to Teiz Motorsports -

No matter what pant you select, even the mesh ones will be hot when you're sitting there, stopped in traffic, wearing a sweaty helmet, etc....It's part of the fun :headbang:. Summers in Michigan can be unbearably hot and humid, but I've found that my Speed & Strength Hell and Back pants work remarkably well in jungle-like conditions. The pants have a 4" wide panel that's about 1.5 feet long on each front thigh, that zips off to reveal mesh (the grey diagonal panels on each leg). The pant leg is cut for wearing over the boots, so between the generous hem opening, and the thigh vents - at anything above a crawl, these pants move air. And you avoid that irritating wind-on-skin feeling at freeway speeds.

On hot days, I wear only bicycle shorts underneath, or some of my favorite street shorts. They're great pants and I like that I can take em off when I arrive and lounge about in my normal street wear - that's fun. With colder weather, the panels installed, and even the liner installed, they are a true all season pant. Well constructed, velcro hip clinchers that actually have a useful range of adjustment, removable hip and knee pads are all well thought out. Not cheap, but not the most spendy. Worth a look.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts