StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am cruising I register between two and three bars on the temp gauge. Once I get back in DC, I ride for about 4 miles of stop and go, mostly stop signs. By the time I get home, I am registering all 5 bars. The fan comes on for a minute when I kill the engine. Should the bike be getting this hot so quickly?

Ethan

D

·
0 Posts
Something ain't right. I live in the desert and I never have an issue; never above 2 bars.

R

·
0 Posts
Something not right

Mine runs between 2 and 3 bars normally. Hits 4 bars in traffic during hot weather but the fan comes on. Never have seen 5 bars.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Check out the basic items first: level of coolant and oil, retighten hose

clamps, ensure the fan spins freely and always comes on when hot .

I found the hose loose on the left side of my bike under the panels.

It looks like your 04 should still be under warranty, take it in and have it

checked. 5 bars is not normal. I find the bikes normally keep cool

because of their open motor design. Leave the key on in the run position

so the fan will keep running when the motor is shut off.

More sevre things could be defective thermostat, water pump or cooling

fan thermo switch. Air trapped in cooling system or cooling system not

becoming pressurized. Do not keep riding the bike like this you can do

damage to the motor!

Scooter

When you find out what the problem is please post it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the responses. I went out on Saturday for about 200 mi and never got above 3 bars. I just got the bike back from its first service, and they may have fixed the problem. I do leave the fan running, but it stops after a minute or so. Hopefully I won't have this problem again, but if it do, I will run through your suggestions scooter.

D

·
0 Posts
For the first time, my temp gauge read 3 bars. Sitting in traffic with temps in the 90s. Went back to 2 bars, however, once the bike got moving. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Similar problem V1000

I live in Rio which can get very hot (35oC - 40oC), and also lot´s of heavy traffic.
Had five bars while sitting in a traffic jam the other day. Once I got moving it went back to 3 bars, occasionally 4, and 5 again only at full stop at home.
Lube oil is full and new (Motul 5100) and coolant is excatly where it should be.
Spoke to the shop, and they seemed to think that at our ambient temps this was normal.
Didn´t notice the fan coming on at any time.
Bit wary but still riding...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Chances are the fan is not working. Four bars is not okay, much less five. Check the fan, the thermo switch in the radiator and the connector between the two for proper operation.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Chances are the fan is not working. Four bars is not okay, much less five. Check the fan, the thermo switch in the radiator and the connector between the two for proper operation.
When you say, 'four bars is not okay', do you mean it should be considered as a caution light, like "the engine is 'hot'" and start finding ways to run cooler? Or do you mean that "it's not okay," and at that point expect damage to start happening to the engine?

I'd consider seeing 4 bars as the 'caution' indicator. It's the way for the bike to point out the temp is rising beyond normal, probably due to stop-and-go with heavy clutching. Once it shows 4 bars, it's not okay to keep working the engine till it reaches 5, unless your escaping from zombies in DC.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Four bars mean something is wrong with the cooling system. The temperature at which you see four bars is well above the temperature the fan is set to come on. Even if you are stopped in traffic in 100F heat, a properly operating cooling system will only show three bars.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Interesting 5-bar situation

When I am cruising I register between two and three bars on the temp gauge. Once I get back in DC, I ride for about 4 miles of stop and go, mostly stop signs. By the time I get home, I am registering all 5 bars. The fan comes on for a minute when I kill the engine. Should the bike be getting this hot so quickly?

Ethan
So, with this thread on my mind I have been watching my dash. I noticed that there is a very expected explanation for the OP seeing 5 bars when you get home.

Do you read the temp gauge before you kill the engine? You'll noticed that if any of the engine disabling switches have put the bike in a 'check' state that the full 5 bars will be showing.

Yeah, I know that's a long shot, but it matches your description.
-- Kill engine (not ignition) -- the fan runs for a bit -- 5 bars showing

If you put it back in a ready-to-run state, the fuel-pump will run for a bit and then you'll see the actual temp measurement. Usually 3 bars on a hot day after a long run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Found the problem.

After another 3 - 4 bar ride, took the bike to the shop. Identified intermittent failure of water temp sensor, PN 13650-57F00. Shop is changing it free of charge under warranty. So no riding for a week as part has to be shipped in from Manaus - 3000km away... :frown5: Problem fixed, bike is now running normal two bars. Expect 3 in heavy traffic only. Never five.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses. I went out on Saturday for about 200 mi and never got above 3 bars. I just got the bike back from its first service, and they may have fixed the problem. I do leave the fan running, but it stops after a minute or so. Hopefully I won't have this problem again, but if it do, I will run through your suggestions scooter.
Mine is driven in Northeast Brazil, in the state of Rio Grande do Norte, We have very high temps here. Never went over 3 bars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts