StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any recommendations? Looking for something not terribly expensive that will keep my full gauntlet leather gloves dry in the odd bit of pour. I'm not planning on long haul touring just yet, but having something to tuck in with my El Cheapitan rainsuit in the tankbag to keep the leather from getting squishy would be great...

Prefer 2+2 lobster over 3+1, but I'm flexible...

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
Aerostich triple Digit Overgloves work great for exactly that purpose. i use them whenever it rains. They pack small so there is no reason to not have them with you all the time.

They are $47 on their web site.

..Tom

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes something very dear to me the over glove. I have spent so much money on supposed to be waterproof glover over the years I just want to throw up. I have a cheap good fix that I have been using for about 5 years now. First gear sells the gloves & real waterproof bootys.
FirstGear Rubber Over Gloves :: MotorcycleGear.com

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you want something for the once in awhile rescue when you get caught out, Aerostich sells a pair of XL rubber dish gloves that work great. They probably won't survive extended use, but for about $3 a pair, I have a set in each of my tankbags.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yeah, I think rain covers of some sort are the way to go if serious rain riding is expected. I've yet to find a truly waterproof pair of riding gloves, and if they were they'd probably suck during any temperature above 65.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
overgloves

I had big rubber over gloves years ago and they really worked. Found them at the local cycle shop...before internet. I have nylon mitten over gloves too. Both work to keep gloves dry. Nylon type could stand a spry of camp dry once in a while.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A +1 for the First Gear rubber overgloves. If you're going to ride in rain for extended periods, nothing works better. And most of my purportedly "waterproof" gloves have failed. I just carry the rubber ones as a part of my standard kit.

·
Administrator
18,458 Posts
Olympia Monsoon gloves are what I have, have friends who swear by them. A waterproof gauntlet will not keep your hands dry "unless" you wear them under your coat sleeves. The Monsoon gloves are not gauntlet, and will fit perfect under the jacket sleeve.

·
Administrator
18,458 Posts
Rubber gloves are for washing dishes, and your hands cannot breathe in them.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
My wife gave me these for xmas:
http://www.princessauto.com/all-sea.../summer/8320798-motorcycle/off-roading-gloves

They fit over the handle bars, and are similar to the hippo-hands thingies I hear people talking about.

For me, this is the cheapest and best solution; I tried the riderwearhouse claw gloves, but I prefer the feel of my unadultered smx6 alpinestars mesh gloves.

I commute daily on my bike in Vancouver BC, and these things kept my mesh-clad hands dry and warm throughout the winter.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you want to try a pair, they are available at an auto parts store. Used for cleaning batteries, or parts washing. Around $10. As some have pointed out, your hands will sweat in them.

·
Premium Member
Former 2x DL650 owner; moved onto Super Tenere ES
522 Posts
Aerostich triple Digit Overgloves work great for exactly that purpose. i use them whenever it rains. They pack small so there is no reason to not have them with you all the time.

They are $47 on their web site.

..Tom
I've been looking into these. Glad they work for you. Do they come on/off easily? Are the palms slippery?

I've had supposedly waterproof gloves ($79 firstgear summer rain gloves) and now they are sold because they were terrible gloves. Also never liked my Firstgear mesh jacket ... just mediocre fit, finish and quality.

I read the review of the Firstgear overglove ($19) and the reviewer says they fit tight and had other negative comments. Since I already wear XXL, they do not make a size bigger. I'd pay an extra $20 for the Aerostitch.

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
I've been looking into these. Glad they work for you. Do they come on/off easily? Are the palms slippery?

I've had supposedly waterproof gloves ($79 firstgear summer rain gloves) and now they are sold because they were terrible gloves. Also never liked my Firstgear mesh jacket ... just mediocre fit, finish and quality.

I read the review of the Firstgear overglove ($19) and the reviewer says they fit tight and had other negative comments. Since I already wear XXL, they do not make a size bigger. I'd pay an extra $20 for the Aerostitch.
I find they come on and off easily. They aren't as grippy as my normal gloves but I don't feel they are slippery.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I find they come on and off easily. They aren't as grippy as my normal gloves but I don't feel they are slippery.

..Tom
That's all I was hoping for. Thanks.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'd go the cheap, black dish washing gloves. Couple friends use diving gloves in place of the leather gloves.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Rubber gloves are for washing dishes, and your hands cannot breathe in them.
Well said. Just ordered the Aerostich ones today for $47. Not cheap but they'll outlast the bike and outlast my $300 boots and my $300 set of tires.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Well said. Just ordered the Aerostich ones today for $47. Not cheap but they'll outlast the bike and outlast my $300 boots and my $300 set of tires.
They won't outlast your bike; maybe your tires, but not your bike.
My friend has had his for a year and they leak a bit. They are showing wear and tear too. I've used them before and they're very nice, but I don't liek the control feel I get with them. I love my over-the-bar gloves though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts