StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put an outlet under the seat? Seems like compartment under the seat might have extra room even after putting a fuseblock in there. Enough room left maybe to charge a cell phone or iPod while riding. I don't have the components yet, but just thought that may be an option.
Thanks,
Lance

·
Registered
99 Posts
Aye. I have a standard 12v. hooked up under there to run my air compressor (also under there), and I have a powerlet outlet under there for my intercom (also under there). Plus, the side fairing is pre-cut (at least on my '04 1000) to allow cables to come out under the right side of the seat without pinching. Nice.

I've got quite a few other things under there as well. I like that little-big space. :)

I hear if you remove the helmet lock on the left side it makes for a handy little mount for additional outlets.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like there is more room under there than I imagined. Yes, I was thinking of putting a 12v plug for recharging items. The precut notch out the side fairing is good for trailing any accessory wires out. I imagine I'll put at least one outlet under there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
phlooburoo said:
Aye. I have a standard 12v. hooked up under there to run my air compressor (also under there), and I have a powerlet outlet under there for my intercom (also under there). Plus, the side fairing is pre-cut (at least on my '04 1000) to allow cables to come out under the right side of the seat without pinching. Nice.

I've got quite a few other things under there as well. I like that little-big space. :)

I hear if you remove the seat lock on the left side it makes for a handy little mount for additional outlets.
Any chance of seeing a pic of your underseat?? If that's not too personal. :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
I put a 6 circuit fuse block under my DL650 seat to power the Roady, Hellas, AutoCom, etc. There's plenty of room there for the block and the AutoCom but I had to lose the tool kit. I keep a much bigger one in a side bag anyway. The block I'm using is from a company called Electrical Connection. I removed it from my Concours prior to selling that bike. It runs through a relay so it's only "hot" with the key ON. There's an extra wire from the relay that is only "hot" with the key OFF for plugging in a battery tender. Now, if I only had a couple hundred more watts of reserve from the alternator, I could run it all at once.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Delta88 said:
I put a 6 circuit fuse block under my DL650 seat to power the Roady, Hellas, AutoCom, etc. There's plenty of room there for the block and the AutoCom but I had to lose the tool kit. I keep a much bigger one in a side bag anyway. The block I'm using is from a company called Electrical Connection. I removed it from my Concours prior to selling that bike. It runs through a relay so it's only "hot" with the key ON. There's an extra wire from the relay that is only "hot" with the key OFF for plugging in a battery tender. Now, if I only had a couple hundred more watts of reserve from the alternator, I could run it all at once.
I'm sure the info is available somewhere but I've had no luck doing a search...can you please tell me if the Wee can handle heated grips/gloves/jacket at the same time?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
The short answer? No. Not all at once, at least. The long answer? IIRC, the available "free" wattage, (output not being gobbled up by the bike systems such as fuel pump, ECM, lights, etc.), on either Strom is about 125 -/+. A Gerbing's heated vest liner is listed as 55 watts and their glove liners are listed at 22 watts per pair. According to Dual Star, (makers of my grip heaters), their product draws 36 watts. I'll assume that's on "High." I'm no math major but I get 113 watts. I think that's pushing it. I know that, with my 55 watt Hellas on, (the switch wire is connected so they turn on and off simultaneously with the high beams), the volt meter slowly drops from 14.3 to 12.0 or even 11.9 when the grip heaters are on, (high or low), at which point I switch the lights off for a while. Without the heaters, the meter still drops to about 12.2 or so and I still feel the need to give the charging system a bit of a rest for. I need to replace the bulbs with 35 watters and/or rewire so that, either I can dowse the driving lamps and still have high beams or, when the driving lamps are "armed," one of the high beams is disabled, saving 60 watts. The Stroms are rediculously challenged in the electrical capacity department. My 12 year-old Concours could handle just about any electrical accessory I could throw at her with no concerns at all. I checked the Electrex website and they don't list a replacement generator for the DL's but I have emailed them inquiring about significantly improving the charging output. I've not received a reply yet but these guys are experts and, if there's a market for it, maybe they'd make something available.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the answer Delta! I think I may get the handguards and be content with the heated glove liners. Heck, I've been riding in 20F weather for years now with no heated anything so this should be heaven. :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
The Suzuki hand guards leave a little to be desired, IMHO. They are cut off too short on the bottom for how far away from your hands they are and I still get a lot of cold and water up from below. I am thinking about making some extenders to mount under the lower edge. Anyway, if you had good hand guards, you could still run an electric vest without trouble. I only run into problems when I try to turn night into day AND stay warm. :lol:
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
QBOTU said:
Any chance of seeing a pic of your underseat?? If that's not too personal. :D
Aye. The cavity under my seat isn't necessarily as tidy as it could be during my really anal spurts, but it works for now.

Here's one overview. This shot includes everything I mentioned in my previous post, plus the OEM tool kit, a mini flash light, a mini tire guage, and a lot of dust. And usually keep a metric socket & allen set under there as well, but they're on leave at the moment.

And this is supposed to ellude to where I stow my tire-plug kit. FYI, there's quite a decent cavity beneath the tail, which I didn't discover until I tried to overpack the main compartment one day.

...hope these pics aren't as big in my final post as they are in the preview. :shock:

·
Registered
598 Posts
More Underseat Stowage Ideas

Attached are photos of my latest underseat arrangement. I have a Sargent seat, which includes a water-resistant storage tube held to the underside by a bungee. I had always used this as intended, but then I discovered the Airman Tour 60 tire pump and preferred it to my Slime pump (the reasons why are for another thread), which called for some storage changes. The Airman pump snugs into position just right, leaving just enough adjacent space for a tire plugger kit, however it stands taller than the compartment, and it interfered with the Sargent storage tube. So then I thought, why not fit the flatter toolkit to the underside of the Sargent seat instead? Doing so, the toolkit does not interfere with the Airman pump, it is more easily accessible, and its weight is brought farther forward (I can use all the forward weight shift I can get). I then shortened the storage tube by around a half inch so that it wedges into the compartment where the toolkit was meant to go, without the use of the rubber retainer (if you try this, first wrap a piece of paper around the tube to mark a perfect circle about the circumference, and watch out because that plastic does not cut easily). So I have stowed an Airman pump, a tire plugger kit, a tire gauge, a leatherman knockoff hiding under the crossmember, the toolkit held to the underside of the Sargent seat, and the storage tube in the conventional toolkit location. That leaves just a little more vacant space under the seat, and the tail section is empty. I like it.

One drawback to the Airman pump is the cigarette lighter connector. That is why you see the adapter. I have only one battery harness, with a female coax connector for my heated gear, and I carry male coax adapters for both SAE and cigarette lighter connectors. So far I choose to have no power supply ports installed on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Add a battery tender pigtai

If you ride with a tank bag, you can wire in a battery tender pigtail routed towards the front of seat. The tender lead has a two pin SAE plug. I got an adapter from O'reilly's that has a cig. lighter on one end and the 2-pin SAE plug that fits the pigtail for the battery tender. The battery tender pigtail is fused with 7.5amp fuse. Now you can keep a tender on during the cold days, plug in your phone charger or plug in your tire pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts