StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on riding my 06 DL1000 down to the Outer Banks for a few days of R&R. I know there isn't much riding to do down there, but since I'm coming from either Brooklyn or NJ, and this is riding season, I'm looking forward to the trip.

So, who's been there? Any recommendations for tent camping? Should I go with the NPS sites, or a private campground?

Right now, we (mid/late twenties, not married, no kids) are looking into Ocracoke and Hatteras Islands, hoping to find some privacy and peace, but not feel isolated or out of touch with the rest of the island.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have spent a lot of time on oracoke even my pops even has a beach house doen there been going down there my whole life....although i havn't made it down there in the last 4 years....lame.... i know there is/was a camp site on the island...quite nice right by the beach it is about 2/3 down from cape hatteras...i would look into that spot talk about one of the best beaches ever that oracoke....

·
Registered
343 Posts
I stayed in a public camp ground... pretty sure it was just north of Ocracoke (not totally positive). Should be on a map. Fairly populated campground, just over a small dune to the beach, beautiful sun rise, great beach.

http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Anyway, that was my way down... earlier on the way up I did the Blue Ridge Parkway... which was superior in every way (unless you need to see the ocean).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, and good to know.

If we cut the stay in the Banks short, I'll be riding the BRP back home as far as I can

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was there the week before the 4th of July, Had a blast! Anywhere I read about camping, they said bring long tent pegs and lots of insect repellent.

I stayed in a mom&pop motel on Roanoke Island. The Ferry system is VERY motorcycle friendly, they seem to always have room for bikes.

A must see is the Wright Bros. monument @ Kill Devil Hills.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts