StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a flying rock delivered a debilitating blow to the oil line fitting of my beloved red '06 Wee last weekend, I picked up a brand new white '11 Wee with ABS yesterday.

I paid $7,250 to the dealer, and $521 to the State of Minnesota, for an OTD total of $7771. They set it up out of the crate and I received a checklist with a lot of checkmarks, indicating that important tasks like "installing the front axle cotter pin" had been duly executed. Which means we can safely assume that the filling in of the checklist is only remotely related to actual work performed...

Then it was off to a little 100 mile break-in run. Everything felt good but not overly exciting. Instinctively, jumping from something '06 to something '11, I probably expected some kind of hike in power, sound, or potent feeling, even though the specs told me otherwise.

In terms of riding, it seemed to me that the '11 turns in a little more willingly than the '06 -- not sure if the longer wheelbase makes any difference or if it's just imagination. The unfarkled V-Strom was a bit of a "back-to-the-roots" treat, too, almost felt like a naked bike. Proper windscreen is by far the #1 add-on required, followed by center stand, hand guards, and heated grips.

Compared to the '06 you can tell that the original V-Strom was a clean, wholistic design, whereas in the later years there are more nooks and crannies from squeezing in stuff that wasn't meant to be there in the first place (like extra spark plugs, coils, or ABS). After much searching, finally found the coolant reservoir hidden under the fuel tank... what were they thinking?! Well, let's hope that the revamped '12 V-Strom will bring back a more streamlined design.

So now I'll spend a weekend or two swapping over the farkles from my '06. Realized too late that the heated grips aren't compatible so have to wait for new ones...

Here are a few pictures:

Still the best color ever made -- '06 red Wee...

... unfortunately with a little problem now:

Take over at the dealership:

Roadside stop at the Minnesota river:

· Premium Member
4,263 Posts
I couldn't agree more with the fact that red is by far the most beautiful color for the 650. It has been said that the Lord himself chose that shade of red.

But the white does grow on ya.

· Registered
1,083 Posts
I love my '05 Blue 650. In 2008 I picked up a new White Tiger (Triumph 1050). I love the white bike...

I kept my '05 Strom just because I enjoy it so much. Like that blue. But that new white Strom is one sharp machine.

· Registered
23 Posts
I really like the 2011 white 650! Excellent color contrast with the rest of the bike. Ironically, I don't see too many white motorcycles in general on the road. Perhaps my vision is focused only on the V-Strom! Either way, nice choice and I am sure you will enjoy it.

· Registered
858 Posts
white is i think about as close to high viz yellow as we are going to get again. (everyone knows that the red is pretty, but the yellow is faster!)

· Registered
297 Posts

· Registered
569 Posts
Congrats, the white does look nice. Double check the tightness of the brake bolts and other critical fittings.

What did the mechanic say the fix was for your old one? Retap the hole?

· Registered
557 Posts
Shame on the old bike. I do like the red (it is even better looking in person), but the white is certainly tempting. I'd have those black wheels on the white bike though. I just don't like the silver wheels...

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hate my neighbor...

Thanks for all the encouraging comments supporting me in the still somewhat traumatic changeover from red to white. I think I'm getting there. :yesnod:

Not helpful was my neighbor who stopped by and chatted me up when I worked on swapping the add-ons over. I had the bikes sitting back to back, and his spontaneous comment was: "You know, the red really looks better."
:headbang: :furious: :weapons_53:

In making the swap I also switched over the silver carrier/hand rail. I think it gives the bike more of an ethereal look, softening the black & white chessboard effect. For the same reason I like the silver rims, even though I suspect that particularly the rear one will be a nightmare to keep clean.

I invested $20 to order the grey reflector lenses for my Givi V46 top case, replacing the original red (maybe).

Updated pictures to follow when everything is in place.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats, the white does look nice. Double check the tightness of the brake bolts and other critical fittings.

What did the mechanic say the fix was for your old one? Retap the hole?
Yes, you can be sure that I'll check all the bolts -- I'll have to strip down the bike anyway to install the Eastern Beaver wire harness and other stuff.

Retapping is an interesting idea. But a big chunk of the spigot broke off, so I'd doubt that there is enough depth of a hole to retap. One suggestion was welding, but there is another piece missing altogether.

Also, I don't like "fixed" stuff, I need my bike "like new". That would have meant a new crankcase for 2-3k$.

· Registered
262 Posts
Yes, you can be sure that I'll check all the bolts -- I'll have to strip down the bike anyway to install the Eastern Beaver wire harness and other stuff.

Retapping is an interesting idea. But a big chunk of the spigot broke off, so I'd doubt that there is enough depth of a hole to retap. One suggestion was welding, but there is another piece missing altogether.

Also, I don't like "fixed" stuff, I need my bike "like new". That would have meant a new crankcase for 2-3k$.
I have the red 2006 but also really like the new white bike. Seems like a popular color this year for V-Stroms and Tigers 800s.

Curious if your insurance covered any of the damage to your 2006 or was it just a straight loss for you?

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Curious if your insurance covered any of the damage to your 2006 or was it just a straight loss for you?
Insurance covered repair, towing, overnight stay and more and let me keep the bike. I had a very substantial check in the mail last Friday -- only 4 days after I reported the claim. They gave me the option to come back later and ask them to total the bike if the repair would turn out to be more expensive.

Great people over at Dairyland Insurance. (I rarely make endorsements, but they totally deserve it.)

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I love my '05 Blue 650. In 2008 I picked up a new White Tiger (Triumph 1050). I love the white bike...

I kept my '05 Strom just because I enjoy it so much. Like that blue. But that new white Strom is one sharp machine.
I test rode the big tiger this weekend, what an amazing bike!
A little anecdote - The triumph dealer asked me what bike is this I'm riding? (My buddy rode there on my White DL650) I managed to confuse him with my Top Gun decals :green_lol:
When I told him it was a V-Strom 650 he was suspicious for a minute, until he recognized the bike. :mrgreen:
Shows you how much decals make a difference.
I like the red, but the white looks European especially with the 'right' decals.

BTW: Both 2011 tigers, 800 and 1050, were sold in white or black...BMW F800 also in available white..Aprilia PEGASO 650 -> Black and White..Ducati Multistrada in Ducati Red, of course, and ... -> White.
Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 ABS -> White. Stelvio 1200 V4 -> Black

So it is maybe clear or not, that the current fashion, at least with adventure bikes is usage of the minimalist colors - White and Black, and design - the triumphs and BMWs in particular with their bare bones look.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.