StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....my pride anyway!

On my way from work tonight I stopped by a buddies truck to give him a hand with something. We were in a flat and smooth parking lot. I got off the bike, put the SIDE stand down, and left it running.

About ONE minute later the bike took a dump! It fell over and totally scratched the RIGHT side of my bike, broke the front brake lever, etc. This really ticked me off. I was frustrated and embarrassed. It was painful to turn around and see the bike laying there on the ground! :headbang:

The silver lining was that I didn't have my right side blinker on because I am in the process of swapping it out for the Buell.

The bike was lowered by the PO. It does sit VERY upright and I think the idling somehow caused it to take a dump! Needless to say, I won't leave it running on the side stand but I am also putting the original "dog bones" back on the bike raising it to stock height.

Can the front cowling be fixed? It has a bunch of scratches, some of which are a bit deep. Is this plastic? Any other ideas on how I should proceed?

I know it's a bike and these things happen, but I have only had it for about 3 months!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dont worry, its only ¨patina¨!! Fix what is broken off and do like everyone, live with your scratches. It just proves you've been riding the thing.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont worry, its only ¨patina¨!! Fix what is broken off and do like everyone, live with your scratches. It just proves you've been riding the thing.
Yeah but I wasn't riding it! I wish I was. IT FELL OVER IN THE PARKING LOT AT WORK! :cry:

·
Registered
39 Posts
fixing scratches....

Look in the yellow pages under Magicure.....these are mobile bumper guys that go from car dealer to car dealer fixing bumper scratches etc. They probably can fix the plastic quite nicely and cheaply. If you can't find in Yellow Pages, try calling a local car dealer. Believe me, they all use bumper guys and may be able to refer you to someone.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Are you taking it to bike shows and displaying it to win a 'beauty contest'?

No, I didn't think so...

Just gives you an excuse to NOT wash it so much...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Can the front cowling be fixed? It has a bunch of scratches, some of which are a bit deep. Is this plastic? Any other ideas on how I should proceed?
Remedy type will depend on the paint color. If it's silver or gray (such as Oort Gray Metallic) then use regular ducttape. If it's the 2009 Metallic Orange color, then use Orange ducttape. The regular blue color, use Blue ducttape.

There is one light blue/gray color I've seen that would be hard to match, might have to use clear packing tape. ;)

Seriously, sorry to hear of the mishap!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did the same thing in my driveway. You got off cheap. My bike rolled into my WRX and demolished the left front fender. Scratched the bike and broke off the turn signal. Cheap to fix. The car was $900 to fix.

I never leave my bike running unless I am on it now. Lesson learned:headbang:

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the funny and appropriate feedback. It's NOT a show bike but one meant to be ridden. I think I am getting over it now, however I would like to have a new front brake lever.

Any ideas on where to get on that doesn't cost an ARM and a LEG?

·
Registered
944 Posts
It sucks, but had the same thing happen to my VFR several years ago; fell off the kickstand during idle. The great thing about the Strom is scratches don't look as bad as they do on a sport bike like the VFR or, god forbid, a Harley chrome monster.

Live with it, in a few weeks it will bug you less. Ride on!:thumbup:

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
If you look closely at you center stand you'll notice a tab that the arm comes against. Grind the tab down to allow the arm to come more forward thus preventing it taking a nap. If you put the original links back in before you know it it'll be napping on the right side.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Dropped mine the other day too. Practicing slow circles on a back road already leaned over pretty far and I stalled the engine. There was a gravity surge and down we went. The crash bars took the scratches though, something I may never have purchased without reading about others mishaps right here. Fortunately no one was around to see my foolishness.
It doesn't hurt to carry spare levers in your tool kit, in a pinch needle nose vice grips may be used in place of a lever to get home depending on the break. They might also work as a shifter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
"There was a gravity surge"
That cracks me up, for some reason. It's like gravity acted like a gust of wind, or something. That is great wording!

Dropped mine the other day too. Practicing slow circles on a back road already leaned over pretty far and I stalled the engine. There was a gravity surge and down we went. The crash bars took the scratches though, something I may never have purchased without reading about others mishaps right here. Fortunately no one was around to see my foolishness.
It doesn't hurt to carry spare levers in your tool kit, in a pinch needle nose vice grips may be used in place of a lever to get home depending on the break. They might also work as a shifter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts