StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Stromabout in scenic Lanark County.

Where: Start and end in Almonte at the Tim Hortons (March Rd)
When: Sunday July 10th Depart at 9:30 am
Gather: 9:00am to prep bikes for some back roads. ie disable ABS and lower tire pressures. Talk about riding technique.
Breakfast: at 8:30am for those early birds. (Tims)
Weather: The ride will go in most conditions up to intermittent showers. All day rain or thunderstorms and we will postpone.

The ride will be geared towards large displacement (heavy) adventure bikes. Non stroms are welcome as long as they realize, and are ok with having an inferior machine. Yes that includes BMW's!!

All roads will be stock tire friendly and will have been scouted prior. There will be a mix of paved, oil chipped & 2 track. We will ride at a pace to include all in a safe and comfortable manner.

Please let us know if you plan to attend. Paul

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Route & Timing

Ran the route today. A spectacular day to ride and the route works well. I have eliminated the New Rd. section from Tatlock to the 511. The rains last week did a lot of erosion. Big gullies on the hills. Doable but not friendly. I also eliminated the section on Little Green Rd. You won't find this one on a map. Again some of the hills are a bit washed out with lots of small rocks exposed. Everything else was excellent.

190 km loop. Morning break spot Tatlock Mine / Lunch at Dalhousie Lake Restaurant /Afternoon break Clayton
Sylvania Lodge - Restaurant

I left Almonte at 9:45 and got back at 2:30. I would say with a small group we would get back at 3:30 with longer breaks and a longer lunch.

I will play around with the track log and make some maps up as well. If I figure out how to send the track file I will post for people to pm me their e-mails. Before any one posts how easy it is to do know that I am on a Mac and Garmin does not have the best software support for Macs.

·
Registered
486 Posts
might be another rider coming along on his Ural with a sidecar. He has done the trans lab highway on this thing also.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A URAL! At one point I wanted one. Glad I chose the Strom. There are only a couple of sections on the route that he may be a bit slow on. Small two track roads. While the Trans lab is gravel, it is wide and flat. I rode it last summer.
I guess if he is experienced and can travel at normal speeds he should be fine. This is not a technical route but it is also not wide and flat. I would say the section through the California Rd and Lammermoor Rd would slow him down but the rest should be fine.

Just no mopeds, cruisers, or sport bikes. Any BMW's coming should pre arrange a tow vehicle in the event of the inevitable break down. :green_lol:
Seen it happen too many times at adventure rallies. 1/2 the bike / 2x the cost
Yes they have way better suspension but we have the better engine. I choose the bike with the reliable engine when I am back in the boonies.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am going to try to make it. It will depend on weather or not I get my tires on.

·
Registered
588 Posts
AAArgh!!

I don't show up until that afternoon or I'd all over this. Sounds like a great ride. I'm there for two weeks and will be hanging with a buddy of mine from Stittsville who rides a Veradero. I'll post up if we're heading out in case anyone wants to join in and otherwise, maybe I'll see some of you throughout the trip.

Have a great ride and ride safe!

Jeff

·
Registered
303 Posts
New rubbers just installed. Still a bit spooky, but they should be scrubbed in by Sunday.
I'm in.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The weather is calling for a nice hot day, it's going to be nice

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to hear that Fryman (Jeff) is arriving to late for the ride. If you or your buddy on the Varadero want the route to do yourselves please let me know.

On my Trans Lab trip last summer I met up with 5 other stroms to ride the Cabot Trail during the Thunder In The Highlands weekend. It was a great ride.

Sunday looks like it will be very good weather. Looking forward to the ride and meeting some more fellow Stromtroopers. Two seasons ago we did a number of rides but last season there were none organized.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to join in

Hello all,

I was searching around the interwebs and stumbled across your post for the ride tomorrow and would like to join in. I am fairly new to the area and have been looking for some good places to ride.

I do however ride a KLR, hopefully no one will hold it against me.

Cheers,
APHK

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry to hear that Fryman (Jeff) is arriving to late for the ride. If you or your buddy on the Varadero want the route to do yourselves please let me know.
Yeah, it'll be late tomorrow when we arrive, we're in Edmundston right now. Sounds like my riding partner has fallen into some family problems and may not be able to get out. I'll be posting as I'm able to get out. Again, It'd be great to meet some fellow Strommers from or Capitol.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Should be a good day to ride. We are five or six right now. More are always welcome. I would suggest folks gas up across the street before meeting at Tims on March Rd. I will be there for 8:30 to have a bite to eat.
If anyone wants the track for there GPS prior just PM me with your e-mail. I will not have a lap top with me to load up GPS. I also do have small maps made up with the route.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Beautiful ride

Thanks again paul for the wicked day trip, really good route

·
Registered
713 Posts
Should be a good day to ride. We are five or six right now. More are always welcome.
Paul, Dave, others

I sure hope you guys had a nice ride (I bet you did). I rode some of that route with Paul and some dual-sport guys (and a gal) last year. It was a blast.

I've been away from my computer for nearly two weeks (another story) and didn't hear about the ride, or I'd have managed to be there again this time.

Cheers all

Pictures?

Marc

·
Registered
486 Posts
I put a few up in the 650 section for photo thread. Some of the trails we were on were pretty nice

·
Registered
588 Posts
I put a few up in the 650 section for photo thread. Some of the trails we were on were pretty nice
Can you link to them? Call me a Tard but I can't find them.

Didn't get in til late afternoon but I'm here now. Anyone interested in putting together a ride for sometime in the next two weeks? It's killing me seeing it sit in the garage... she wants to explore!!!

I'm in Orleans but can meet you anywhere. Let me know!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts