StromTrooper banner

Wuss or Wise Choice?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm stopped at a red light on a four lane divided highway. Past the lights, the road narrows to a two lane undivided highway. I'm in the left lane and the right lane ends roughly 500ft past the stop lights.
Some kid in a lowered, fartcan equipped Honda Civic pulls up next to me in the right lane, glances my way and revs his engine several times, obviously wanting to drag race. I wanted so bad to toast this goofball, but I didn't. I got off the line slower than normal and purposely accelerated very slowly to let him go first. Well, he tore off, fartcan exhaust blatting away, proud grin in his face. Judging by how slow his car accelerated, I could have easily, easily owned this punk. What do you think? Did I do the right thing, or should I have taught this fool a lesson?

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Smart move. Its easier to watch and avoid him if you are behind. If you'd passed him he would have ridden your rear fender until the first opportunity to pass and then we would have made the move to show you he was king, whether it was safe or not. You and I know you are faster than him and that's all that matters.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You had nothing to prove. Even if the match was not so one sided in your favor, drag racing on the street is dangerous and carries a hefty legal penalty. Some idiot in the Toyota Matrix owners group posted that he beat a motorcycle out of a stop light. Six replies came back from car people that the motorcyclist was not racing.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
My testosterone says "WUSS!" My middle-aged brain says "Smart Move".

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My normal "response" to asshats like that is to accelerate "quickly" (Not a revs up starting grid launch mind you) in first (just enough. . . ), shift to 2nd and slow down as the "asshat" screams past me and up the road inviting a ticket.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
compare the 0 to 60mph times for the stroms compared to that of cars, now unless they are sitting in a zonda or bugatti or one of the faster ferraris, they aint goin to win. so whats the point in wasting your life or your fuel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Goldwing...Hehe...Awesome response...
(Doesn't the Goldwing have a 4.5 second 0-60?)

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Seven responses to this post and nobody said waste em real good. That makes me feel good about the members here and their attitude towards riding well/safe and their level of maturity. Thank you very much folks.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I wouldn't have said "better safe than sorry" but you didn't leave many choices in the poll :D

No serious car guy tries to race a motorcycle from a stop and you've got nothing to prove to a poozer, but...

Too bad the local leo wasn't somewhere where you could see him and he couldn't :twisted:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Right now it's 29 to 2. I hope the 2 see how unwise their choice is by the overwhelming vote. Like WW says, the results of the vote make me proud to be a member of this forum.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I think it was the wise choice. No, coming back to play another day is the best strategy a rider can have.

Little boys are trouble, we need to keep ourselves from becoming little boys when riding - which is so easy to do.

Ride smart like you did! It's the safe thing to do. I keep remembering the phrase I always hear . . . . . .

"You don't need to take risks to have a fun ride!"

·
Registered
203 Posts
I like Compared to What's response, and that is what I will do if RacerBoy is especially persistant about racing. Accelerate just fast enough to appear to be challenging his ego, then after hitting second resume a resonable pace and watch as the police reward him.

I think I attract the "tuner" types. Might be my idea of safe riding, accelerate into open traffic where I have a bit of a space cushion.

I am always amazed at the level of stupidity I see on the slab. Me keeping a reasonable pace of 75 or so and a Dad in a mini van with a wife and kids will pull up beside me and try to use me as a "rabbit" when I put the needle close to 100 mph. You cannot pay me to drive that way in a cage these days, especially with kids on board.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I agree don't race that clown, you don't want a pissed off driver behind you, that being said, there are Honda civics that do about 160 mph in the quarter mile.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Let me add my congratulations to those who said smart move - way to be the bigger person. And that's why you're a better rider/driver.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let me also throw this out there...

I have a wife and two girls (ages 4 and 7) at home. Last thing I want to do is leave them without a dad. Don't get me wrong here - dying while doing something heroic wouldn't be such a bad thing. Dying over something stupid would. :wink:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
You did the right thing. There is absolutely nothing to gain, with the potential for tremendous loss. To be frank, if that happened to me I'd only laugh - racing wouldn't even enter my mind.

Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts