StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll preface this by saying that I'm not trying to start yet another "GPS Vs Smart Phone Navigation" thread. Between here and other MC forums, I think there's enough written about that to rival the page count of War and Peace.

I still use a Garmin 2455 to navigate, but I've been experimenting more and more with OsmAnd on my phone. OsmAnd has a big advantage in one area; it'll accept a .gpx track without any sort of editing or conversion, unlike the Nuvi. Last year I did create an MABDR route that my Nuvi could read, but I'd still like to have a device that can read the .gpx track straight from the MABDR website. OsmAnd will read the MABDR track, but since I've never put it to a real world test, I wanted to solicit any information from any of you members out there who may have already navigated the MABDR using OsmAnd, and to see if there were any issues like map inacurracies or missing roads. If OsmAnd is a good choice, then I'll probably save some money on a Zumo or Montana and just buy an old Kyocera Duraforce to run OsmAnd.

Anyone have any real world experience with OsmAnd on the MABDR?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,683 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't commend on the MABDR specifically, but I've used OSMAnd+ for years.

It isn't perfect, but it's a robust alternative to shelling out hundreds of $ for a dedicated motorcycle GPS.

I like it a lot, and it is continually improved. I've caught and corrected 2 errors in the last year. One was a misspelled street name in my neighborhood. The other was a gas station shown on the wrong side of the highway. Both were fixed by the next map update for my area.

FWIW I run OSMAnd+ on a Motorola x4, which is also my daily driver. The phone is IP68 rated. Largest problem is keeping it charged in hot weather - it constantly overheats and can't charge.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I run OsmAnd on a Kyocera Duraforce. Works for what I need.

If you use OsmAnd you know that there are gaps in the coverage. To me it's mostly street addresses not actual roads. Off-road I don't think it would be an issue especially if you download topo, satellite, terrain, etc. maps. A .gpx file will keep navigating even if there are blank spots in your map.

OsmAnd will route most any sort of track file now too.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The gap issue isn't with OsmAnd, it's with the open street maps. Any maps app that uses the Open Street Maps has issues searching for addresses etc. because it's all user submitted info. If no one has submitted the address to the OSM it's not going to be able to find it. Maps.Me and actually most other maps apps that aren't the big tech companies will have the exact same gaps. One really nice thing is that since it's user submitted, lots of off road and atv clubs use it, so there is more offroad track info on there than something like google maps.

I like OSMAnd a lot, but on my phone, the version I was using last summer when using it to navigate, it drained the battery faster than I could charge it on my bike. If I just watched the track and didn;t use the navigation feature, it was fine. I didn't have a quick charge cable with me at the time, so maybe that can alleviate the problem, and maybe they have updated the app since to fix the issue.

I really like the app though. It has lots of really cool features and displays you can add.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,683 Posts
I like OSMAnd a lot, but on my phone, the version I was using last summer when using it to navigate, it drained the battery faster than I could charge it on my bike. If I just watched the track and didn;t use the navigation feature, it was fine. I didn't have a quick charge cable with me at the time, so maybe that can alleviate the problem, and maybe they have updated the app since to fix the issue.

I really like the app though. It has lots of really cool features and displays you can add.
No real fix for this problem, I'm afraid. It's not actually a problem with OSMAnd+, more a problem with using a smartphone as a motorcycle nav device.

I've used OSMAnd+ on two phones, a Nexus 5x and (currenty) Motorola x4. Both have the same problem. When it's hot out, they overheat, and charge only slowly or not at all.

Removing the phone from its case does not help. Nor does the additional airflow of highway speeds, which you'd think would do some cooling. When it's 80°F+ out, the phone's probably not going to stay charged. I have to remember that in summer riding, & work around it.

Same problem, different aspect in severe cold. Near freezing or below, the phone will get too cold to stay charged.

Quick charge doesn't matter. The charging circuit in the phone decides when and how much the battery will charge, and will slow or stop charging at temperature extremes.

In general, smartphones get hot, when used constantly in direct sunlight. Specially-ruggedized models like the Kyocera Duoforce may be an exception. Don't know, haven't tried one.

None of these problems happen when using OSMAnd+ in the car, where my phone sits in the shade, in front of an AC vent.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
No real fix for this problem, I'm afraid. It's not actually a problem with OSMAnd+, more a problem with using a smartphone as a motorcycle nav device.
In general, smartphones get hot, when used constantly in direct sunlight. Specially-ruggedized models like the Kyocera Duoforce may be an exception. Don't know, haven't tried one...
I haven't had the problem of the phone overheating and not charging. It's hot here next to Death Valley.

My first phone was some sort of Motorola Droid, it got flakey so maybe the heat and vibration did it in. I bought a Kyocera Duraforce after reading through the mega thread on ADV.

It's been fine, stays 100% charged most of the time while riding. I usually have a track running on trips. Something I've found with OsmAnd is that very long tracks tend to bog it down so I break them up into 200 or so mile chunks.

My only gripe with the phone is the glare on the screen at times. It's on a Ram mount cradle on the bars, so it makes it easy to tilt it if needed.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I use a second phone on my bike that has wifi and cell turned off. Lowering the brightness helps, but most days that I ride I can't do that. I use a Note 4 which also has replaceable batteries, when I do drain my battery (typically because I didn't plug the charging wire in or I didn't put it in all the way).

·
Registered
752 Posts
The problem I had was specifically in turn by turn navigation mode. Google maps doesn't drain it, but I want more functionality than google maps provides.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, guys. It's been so long since I started this thread that I forgot about it until I saw a "like" pop up on my avatar.

I haven't experienced the draining/overheating issue with OsmAnd in the times I've used it (NC summers can get pretty toasty), though I suspect that might change depending on whatever phone it was being used on. So far I've had it installed on a Droid Turbo and a Moto Z3 without those issues. One issue I have with using a smartphone for navigation is the vibration issue, and how well the average phone can tolerate it, especially at the micro USB connection. After a couple years of my Droid Turbo mounted on a handle bar, I've noticed that the USB connection has become so loose that I had to make a strain relief device for my mount just to keep it plugged in.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hopefully this summer, Motor7. I was going to do it last summer, but got derailed by cancer surgery. I don't have a specific date in mind yet. Are you considering it too?

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
Yep, I did part of it in Sept. The very first day had a uhmmmm 'incident' when topping a blind hill on two track gravel. I might have been going 25mph, what was coming at me was a full grown new county 22 Ton dump truck, also at about 25 mph. We were about 100+' apart, brakes were not a viable option, so I was going to bail off the right side of the road since I was already in the right track. Well it was a pretty severe drop off full of trees( I even glanced at the left side...same...we were on a ridge). When I looked back, the driver had started to 'skooch' over ever so slowly. I saw a wee sliver of daylight, looked beyond, put my bike on the edge of the drop-off and maintained speed. I think the left grip cleared the side of the truck by a RCH.

It rattled me for a few days as that is the closest call to a major accident on the bike in several hundred thousand miles. At every blind curve or hill I always expect a vehicle to be in my half of the roadway and I ride accordingly. Was I going too fast for that scenario....for sure, but so was he and with both of us screwing up was almost fatal. Anyway, for the next 2 days my gps track kept putting me on parallel paved roads(maybe it knew that I temporarily lost my 'edge'?), so I got aggravated and broke off to visit a Civil War battlefield in Rappannahock Station Va that I'm researching(longer story).

Anyway, yes I plan on re-takng that lost ground sometime this summer. Goose has spoken to me from beyond...I got my edge back. Since it's close to me, I have not picked any specific dates yet. I'll PM ya...........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts