1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
ortlieb is worth every penny

bomber gear and you don't have to mess with the "waterproof cover" that Nelson-Rigg provides.....just stuff the bags and ride...no stopping to put on the cover when you ride in a strom

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used a set of the thin ones on my KLR. Still have em out in the garage. Spendy for soft bags, but probably the best ones out there if soft bags are what you want. I made several trips with mine, covered some pretty rough terrain, and never had a problem with them. My stuff never got wet either.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wee owners, how do these fair resting on the exhaust heat shield? Any melty-melty problems? Or did you have to put a buffer in between?

If these ortliebs can go right onto the heat shield with no fuss, I'll order them tonight!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have looked around as well, these seem to be what I want and need. I will also order them if there are no issues with them being against the heat shields on the 1000.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Wee owners, how do these fair resting on the exhaust heat shield? Any melty-melty problems? Or did you have to put a buffer in between?

If these ortliebs can go right onto the heat shield with no fuss, I'll order them tonight!
Give Aerostich a call. They are very knowledgable about their products. The photo's of the bags show a pad on the back of the Ortleib bags like on the Nelson Rigg ones.

Stromette/Agirl uses the NR's on her DL1000 with good results and no melting. I would expect the Ortleibs to be fine too.

EDIT: I just looked at your profile and noticed you have a DL650. The heat shield on the 650 stay pretty cool. I wouldn't worry about it. You might need a standoff bracket for the left side to hold the bag away from the bike a little. They are easily made and I think someone is making them now. The Ortleibs might not need it though.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
EDIT: I just looked at your profile and noticed you have a DL650. The heat shield on the 650 stay pretty cool. I wouldn't worry about it. You might need a standoff bracket for the left side to hold the bag away from the bike a little. They are easily made and I think someone is making them now. Maybe www.amotostuff.com? The Ortleibs might not need it though.
Look here for a good bracket http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN/MyVStromAccessories/page2.html Dan Vesel builds good stuff. I have a few of his pieces.
Kent

·
Registered
240 Posts
Give Aerostich a call. They are very knowledgable about their products. The photo's of the bags show a pad on the back of the Ortleib bags like on the Nelson Rigg ones.

Stromette/Agirl uses the NR's on her DL1000 with good results and no melting. I would expect the Ortleibs to be fine too.

EDIT: I just looked at your profile and noticed you have a DL650. The heat shield on the 650 stay pretty cool. I wouldn't worry about it. You might need a standoff bracket for the left side to hold the bag away from the bike a little. They are easily made and I think someone is making them now. The Ortleibs might not need it though.

Yeah, I found a thread on here where someone gave instructions on how to build a bracket for the left side. Lucky me, I have a fully stocked machine shop at work so we built one up and it's on the bike already.

Only issue I have now with those Ortleibs is just how big are they? Does anyone have a picture of them on a Strom? Some of the photos on the Aero. website make those things out to look pretty gigantic.

Right now I'm torn between the Cortech Tourmaster, NR-950's, or the above Ortleibs. I'm leaning toward the ortleib because I want something that's reliably waterproof without having to deal with rain covers that may or may not work well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
get the bigger ortlieb bags...

the link you posted shows the smaller bags....get the full size dry bags and you will not be pressed for space..

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
What works for me is to stuff everything in regular river runner drybags and then put the bags in the soft saddlebags. No need to worry about rain covers and everything stays really dry. I can also leave the gritty bags on the bike and just take the dry bags in at night.
Yup. I carry a lot of zip-locks in large sizes too for the small stuff. If the bags get wet, nothing inside does.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Any of these bags (Ortleib, Cortech, or NR) have the ability to lock the zippers closed, like in a suitcase? My tailbag has that feature and it gives me a bit of relief when I leave the bike parked out on the street. It also came with a security cable that I could run under the seat to the hat hook, so short of a dude with a knife hacking it to pieces, it's pretty secure.

I can always jury-rig some sort of a security cable but if the zippers were "lockable", that would be a big checkmark in the "Pro" column for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
How do you mount them?

I'm looking at my old Ortleib dry bags and my new DL650, and I can't figure out how you attach them securely to the bike.

Those of you who do- where do you put them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I assume you have these bags?

Just wondering, if you actually have these bags? And what year Wee you have?

I am currently riding a DL650 09' and am looking for new saddle bags. The reason I ask is because on my Wee I see a muffler shield and wonder if that is all I need for these saddle bags

Ortlieb are absolutely bomb proof but you pay for it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here are the Ortliebs on my Glee:

The muffler guard will do the trick on the right side, but you'll need some kind of offset on the left. Dan Vesey makes a the one I use. Dan is a pleasure to work with and a forum member to boot, and I'm happy with my setup. The back reinforcement / padding on the Ortliebs managed to stain my muffler guard a little. If you do a search on eBay for "V-strom 650 Side Luggage Racks," you'll find some more that seem really nice. If I'm not mistaken, Happy Trail also makes a paired system as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the Ortliebs with the Happy Trails soft bag rack. And an 08 DL650. The bags work well, but I had to take off the muffler cover to fit the rack on. I believe this is common with other racks on the DL650, too. That causes a problem, as there's no buffer between the muffler and the right bag, and given the cost of the bags, I decided to do a little home made alteration...

What I did was get a 4" galvanized furnace pipe/flume (?) from Home Depot and sliced it down to the approximate shape of the original muffler cover. Then I put holes in it for the bolts/rubber grommets (also from HD) and lined the inside and outside surfaces with insulated pipe tape (about 1/4" thick stuff with foil on one side, $5 a roll at HD). Works really well and stays relatively cool, all for about $10. If/when I go to sell the bike, I'll just throw the original cover back on.

BTW, I have the two separate bags, not the throw overs.

·
Registered
326 Posts
soft bags

i'm still using the ortleib bags i purchased & used on my old klr650

on the klr, i bought a set of side racks off fleabay that kept the bags off the plastic & exhaust

found the same/similar racks on fleabay for my '05 wee and after a 4500+ mile trip, w/ 3 days of substantial rain, i would say they are WATERPROOF!

when i mounted the bags on my wee, i went ahead & secured them to the racks, w/ the supplied straps, & never had to remove them on the trip

i use a couple of the bride's cloth grocery bags as inserts & they fit like they were made specially for the dry bags

plumb handy &

DRY

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts