StromTrooper banner

Original battery life

570 16
I have a 2011 model vstrom with over 70,000 km and still has the original battery. That’s 12 years since it was placed in the motorcycle. In australia we do not have the deep freeze of many markets so it definitely helps in battery life. Yet all my cars will only get around 8 years from an original battery and not much more than 4-5 years from replacement batteries. Is there any other record breakers out there.
  • Wow
Reactions: Gert
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6,152 Posts
Another Aussie here.

I expect around 8 years from the original batteries in both cars and bikes.

I only expect 3 years from any aftermarket battery.

I think the original batteries are fresher and treated better giving them a better life expectancy.

I always take a reading from any battery I plan to purchase, most are around 12.4 to 12.5v, I walk away if it's not 12.6v or above.

If you can get a add your own acid battery go for it, you can't get fresher.

I got 12 years from the original battery in my Wee.

I replaced the battery in my 2014 V2 with a LI (something I regret) and moved the V2 battery to one of my farm bikes, it still works.

I don't use a battery tender but I will use solar.

Reactions: Solarguy

· Registered
K9 Wee
554 Posts
I changed the original battery from my K9Wee in 2017 with a YUASA. The original went into one of those little electric driving toys for my grandson. Still running :).

Having said that, I would replace it. It has served its purpose, and it would suck to have it crap out on a trip. However, if you only ride around home, go ahead and see how long you can make it last.

· Registered
6,152 Posts
If you fit a volt meter and get to know the numbers it produces you will see the numbers dropping as the battery ages, you will know when it needs replacing.

· Registered
3,782 Posts
Mine crapped out after 5.
BTW, the original owner had it for slightly less than two years and put only 200 miles on it!
When I bought it, I put it on a BT but, like almost all AGM's, it just "went" 3 years later when out on a ride. Fortunately, our ride leader carries a Jump battery with him.

· Registered
438 Posts
My original battery went 9 yrs 51 weeks and 3 days, I sat there at the gas station going,
” really you couldn’t last for 4 more days “. I push the bike out of the way, waited 5 minutes and tried again and the bike started, cut the ride short and went home to order a new battery.

· Registered
2012 V-strom 677 ABS
3,303 Posts
I have a Shorai Li Ion battery I put in mine at least 5 years ago. I think the battery is close to 10 years old by now. Still works fine!

Cold weather and all... Stored in my garage though.

· Registered
2015 Vstrom 1000
82 Posts
My Hayabusa battery had about 8 years on it when I sold the bike. Wonder if it was still going. It was always in a heated shop.

Reactions: D.T.

· Registered
6,152 Posts
Has the LI let you down? Cold weather problems?
I a Aussie we don't know what cold is, LoL

I had my Zumo connected directly to my battery, they have a small parasitic drain in the 12v to 5v power reducer.

With the lead acid battery my bike could sit unused for six weeks and it would still start, with the LI battery after 10 or 12 days it would not start and by 14 days the only light that would come on was the neutral light (strange I thought)

I only went with the LI to get more room under the seat, I have cruise control and a PCFC fitted and they take up space under the seat.

I have had to take the Zumo off the battery and put it on a switched power source.

I should have known better, I had the LI battery in my MT09 fail just past the warranty period, it melted and the bike could not be run and I had to trailer it home, considering I could have purchased 2 lead batteries for the price of one LI & if it was lead I could have ridden home I was not happy.

Reactions: Solarguy

· Registered
6,152 Posts
Because stroms headlights come on with the ignition you can give your battery a small load test each ride if you fit a volt meter.

Pick a number, I use 20, turn the ignition on and count to 20, note the meter reading, if you see that reading going down over time you are watching the battery fail.

As a trick you can turn the ignition on without the headlights coming on (won't work on the latest bikes)

I call it the Rolex left hand start.

Push the start button with your right hand

Turn the key on with your left hand (this will bring the bike to life without the headlights)

To start the bike pull in the clutch lever, it will crank and fire up.

It's a handy hack if you have a suspect battery or failing charging system.

Reactions: Solarguy and JTUP

· Registered
1,658 Posts
I replaced the original battery at 12 years/94K miles. It would slightly struggle on a cold morning if sitting for a week or more, so it was just starting to weaken, but not dead. They can die suddenly at any time, it owed me nothing, replaced for piece of mind.

· Registered
6,152 Posts
I found another reason to fit a volt meter and know your numbers.

I had been down the farm so I had not ridden for a week, when I turned the ignition on I got a higher reading than I should have, no headlight, blown globe.

· Registered
5 Posts
My 2016 is still chugging along at 30k miles. It's kept in a heated garage and I keep it on a battery tender if it sits more than a few weeks. Reading this thread has given me hope for a few more years out of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts