StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always have a lot of stuff in my Giv E45 top case but it's hard to find anything in there, especially small things. The bottom part is usually filled close to the rim so I have a lot of space left in the top half. Any ideas on making some compartments in the lid for storing items like sunglasses, keys, garage door opener, small rags, can of chain lube and other things I always have with me? Heavier larger items like water bottle, cable locks, gloves etc are fine in the bottom.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
I put all my valuables such as camera, GPS, stuff I don't want bunged up in a tiny backpack..... Keeps it all at the ready without it all banging around the cases....

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I don't like putting anything dense in the topcase. It's too far from the center of mass. Only on the road clothing goes in there. Rain gear, heated gear, gloves for conditions other than those I'm riding in, liners, etc. They are light and can be accessed in a hurry in changes of weather. Heavy stuff is better in a tank bag or low and forward in side cases closer to the center.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I use some small cheap dollar store pencil cases. You can usually get them in different colors too. That way, common use stuff can be found quickly...???
I keep my glass cleaner, disc lock, glass wipe, tire pressure gauge, light filters, small Gerber tool, spare batteries...

For some of the bigger stuff like gloves and rags, use some "Bulldog" clips to keep them together.

I bought a Joe Rocket Manta tank bag to keep my Rifle lock (for my Helmet) charging cables (phone/GPS) more batteries, granola bars, side stand plate. It holds my phone in one outside pocket and my wallet in another.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use a canvas zip bag to hold most of my little things (sidestand coaster, tire pressure gauge, etc.) keeps it all together and from flopping around.

·
Registered
962 Posts
First thought that came to my mind was cutting a piece of 1/8 plastic the shape of the lid, put a couple hinges in the front, and a latch on the back. Could also velco the lid and the items your want to attach.

Ken

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have never used a tank bag until I bought the Wee, but since there was no place to store small items within reach, I bought a Manta Magnetic Mount tank bag and love it. Keys, garage door opener, sun glasses, etc all fit nicely and can be stuffed in the trunk or taken with me when I park the bike in a theft risky location.

That said, I bought a course mesh top (sorta like small fish net on the top side only) zipper bag at the Container store than I carry in my hunting back pack to store all small items. The good thing about them is that you can use two or three and you can see into them without opening them so you can tell what is in there. The bottom of them is nylon and they have zipper closures so nothing gets away. Had them several years and they are as good as new now.

Wayne

·
Registered
942 Posts
Gym bag

I have a gym duffel bag that fits my Givi V46 top case perfectly. I carry my trip clothes in it. It's got just enough room on top of the bag to put a ball cap or the liner from inside my Fieldsheer Mercury riding pants when it warms up.

On commuting days I put my laptop backpack there. It fits perfectly as well.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The Givi T468 inner bag is a perfect fit and has pockets smaller items that get lost in the expanse. It fills the E36 so leaves a little room in the E45. I use helmet bags too.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Harley Part?

Harley makes an organizer that velcros or glues into the lid of their top case. It ought to fit in yours. My pal has one, it has gobs of pockets, most of them net so you can see what's in there.

As usual for Harley it's stupid expensive. You might find something similar for home use that's a lot cheaper.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
My solution for organizing my E52 topcase?

E21 sidecases! They contain my air pump, first aid kit, rain gear, fire extinguisher, etc. etc. My topcase is otherwise empty and waiting to engulf my gloves and helmet at stops or lots and lots of groceries and other stuff as needed.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but one important tip about packing ... if you leave in the morning wearing thick riding pants and the liner installed in your jacket, leave room in your top or side cases for these extra layers that may be shed later in the day when it warms up.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
A case of beer really helps one organize the top case.....plus get you out of nearly any jam you find one's self in.......And, if you really need MORE room, just drink to fit lager items...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts