StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My awesome daughter :beatnik: graduates from Colorado College on May 20th...her birthday!! This gives me a great excuse to ride there on my 07 wee from my home north of Bend, OR. Approx. 1600 miles depending on the route. Because this is such a big event, this will be a for sure ride. The only way I won't do it is if the weather absolutely prevents it.

I have 5 days to get there and 7 days to get back, with time in between to spend with her. Leaving Sunday, May 12th (after I take my mom to breakfast - it is mother's day) Returning on May 28th. My cousin from Houston, TX on a F800GS will be meeting up with me for a few days on the return trip to ride southern Utah and all (some) it has to offer. We'll probably have 3-4 days to spend goofing off before needing to head different directions. Maybe meet up in Durango on the night of the 22nd.

On the way down I'm thinking I need to head south as quick as possible to get into better weather potentials.

I'd like as much help as I can get from this awesome forum as you all ride the same bike and know it's potential. I have the Utah Benchmark atlas on order and some Nevada and Colorado maps as well. A friend loaned me several Utah jeep and ATV books. So shoot me the routes you think are best for the wee.

How I Ride (I know this is important info)
Tires: K60 front 705 rear
Happy Trails Panniers and Bestem Top Box
Heated grips and jacket liner, tall windscreen.
Try to travel light but will have camping gear - no computer, not tons of crap (my wife will bring my "real" clothes in the plane)
Love dirt and gravel, hate deep sand and mud when loaded.
Twisties are what the bike was made for, so bring it on. :thumbup:
Will probably do 70% paved and 30% dirt but open to more dirt if it's awesome riding. Looking for more dirt while in So. Utah.
Prefer to ride away from all the people, RV's, crazies :thumbdown:
Enjoy the mountains more than the valleys but got to stay out of the snow.
Will probably hotel it more on the way down and camp some on the way back. Don't mind bush camping.
Don't like to plan my stops, but let the location or my body tell me when it's time to set up camp or find a hotel.
Food is not a big deal so restaurant ideas aren't important and I don't drink so the bar scene is N/A
Don't intend on riding any 4 lane if at all avoidable.
I carry a SPOT and use a Garmin Legend HCX and Galaxy S3 phone.
I like paper maps more than GPS's
My Cousin and I are both decent off road riders...however for this trip - fully loaded I'm not interested in black diamond off road routes. Keep me on the easy greens or blues.

I've just really started routing. Here's my route to southern NV so far:

madras to CO Springs - Google Maps

Thinking of trying to ride:
Burr Trail
White Rim Trail
Hwy 12 (Utah)
Hwy 160 (Colorado)

Feel free to offer up suggestions. I have reviewed back about 25 pages of the West and Southwest section of this forum looking for ideas. I am also on ADV and may post up over there, but I really want ideas from Stromtroopers.

Thanks guys... If any of you want to join any portion of the ride.. I'd love to have you along.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
madras to CO Springs - Google Maps

Thinking of trying to ride:
Burr Trail
White Rim Trail
Hwy 12 (Utah)
Hwy 160 (Colorado)

Feel free to offer up suggestions. I have reviewed back about 25 pages of the West and Southwest section of this forum looking for ideas. I am also on ADV and may post up over there, but I really want ideas from Stromtroopers.

Thanks guys... If any of you want to join any portion of the ride.. I'd love to have you along.
Now I understand your Map, that's going to be a fun route, I would then continue thru to Washington UT, this would bring you thru a national forest, cut up to Hurricane UT and continur thru Zion Natl. Park
OR - a faster way is from NV to Cedar City, then down I-15 for about 25+ miles then go thru Zion Natl, Park.
After Zion head to HWY 89 which will bring you thru Orderville, head morth toward Panguitch, but about 10 or so miles is hwy 12, to Bryce canyon Airport. I then google maped the rest of the route for you to Torrey UT.
Panaca, NV to Torrey, UT - Google Maps

From Torrey you can take 12 down to Boulder, that's where the Burr trail is, very beautiful, rode that one with the wife a few years ago. Here's where i can't help you anymore, the Burr trail asphalt ends at one point, people have continued on the trail thru the Natl Park into the other valley.
Hope others will chime in about distance, lodging, especially fuel !!!

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Colorado Springs, CO to Torrey, UT - Google Maps

This map is basic, torrey to Colorado spring, If you have time to take hwy 550 thru Ouray think you won't be dissapointed if you like scenery and curves and mountains. Just outside of Ouray is the Famouse million dollar highway. You could continue to Montrose and then head east on HWY 50 to your daughters graduation.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The 550 from Ouray to Durango is one of my favorite ride:thumbup:
Mike

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'm back....
Rods that you want to ride
Hwy 12 (Utah):thumbup::thumbup:
Hwy 160 (Colorado):thumbup:
Burr Trail:thumbup:but You will hit spots of deep sand good ride
White Rim Trail :confused: You may want to rethink that one.
A coworker rode that on a KLR and said that the last half is deep sand.
Also if he was to do it again it would on a dirt bike with full knobby.
On his KLR he would turn around half way.`
Next post my suggestion on roads I would ride!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Madchap, Plan to do the same just a couple months behind you (August) to
see my brother. Leaving Prineville. Your neck of the high desert. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
NV. to Torrey and some after.

NV. To Torrey Ut. Andreas rout is a good one, Zions is nice scenery but RV hell. :headbang:If you want a view, you must go. Alternate route would be Hwy 14 Cedar City to 89. And Hwy 12 from 89 to Torrey.
If you stay in Torrey, try the Chuck Wagon for a good cheap hotel and Thousand Lakes camp ground ask for Big “E” he can tell you a lot about the area. Tell him that the UBBC said to look him up.
From there you can go back up 12 to the Burr Trail or follow Andreas rout but either way you need to see the Moki Dugway on Hwy 261 it is a must see and below that is the Goose Necks. :thumbup:
More to come!
Andreas, just a question, Why 22 and 62 and not 12? I have not ridden it in a long time but don't remember any thing spectacular about it. Maybe I need to go back?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I've been trying to work with Google maps and it is currently frustrating the crap out of me. Won't let me link up different routes. I'll post up what I come up with once I figure out why it's being stupid.:headbang:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just did a Google Earth fly through of the Burr Trail. Stopped and looked at lots of the pictures in Panoramio..Wow, Wow WOW I cannot begin to described how stoked I am at that route.

Please, Please, Please give me more ideas like that!!!!! It's really making me consider re-working some of my routing through Oregon to get to Utah faster.

I've also just been watching videos of White Rim Trail. I think I can make it if the weather is dry and I don't have any gear on the bike. I watched GS1200's with side boxes do it...... Wouldn't even try if it was wet or I was alone.

Reading about other routes. There's almost too much to wade through on the internet. No wonder people just buy the XBDR maps and do the routes others have researched.

Thanks for the help so far. I'm no where near done as I've only routed one direction and haven't even put one waypoint into a route for the way back. So bring me your ideas.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't know much about off road...but I would highly recommend Lolo pass in Idaho for an on road route

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Trouble, but Colorado Springs is south-east of Oregon, not North-east. :mrgreen: Don't want to make the ride longer than it already will be. And I certainly don't want to risk a spring snow storm in Wyoming.

I'll be heading straight south for several hundred miles before heading east.

I may be heading for Montana is September.....Lolo will be on my list then.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It’s looks like you have a good rout planned out to get there.
There are a lot to places to explore in southern UT. and CO.
141 from Naturita to Gate Way and then over to Grand Junction Co this is a fun road.
You can ride from Gate Way to Moab on a dirt road but I don’t know how good that road is this year.
Douglas Pass road 139 is also good, It starts in Grand Junction and heads north.
If you find your self around Torrey on the way back I know a great rout that will take you to Lolo pass. I have sent riders on this path from Florida and Washington. They all said it was one of the best ride they have ever ridden.
Where can we send you next!

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
The ride on Hwy 12 between Torrey and Burr Trail is a great section of road. It was my favorite section of UT when I rode there a few years ago. Actually got to do it twice on the trip, once north and once south. First time through, it looked like all the trees were dead (it was late May). When we came back through three days later everything was budding out. I hadn't factored in how late Spring arrives at 10,000 feet in altitude. Be sure to stop at the viewpoint at the top.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
NV. To Torrey Ut. Andreas rout is a good one, Zions is nice scenery but RV hell. :headbang:If you want a view, you must go. Alternate route would be Hwy 14 Cedar City to 89. And Hwy 12 from 89 to Torrey.
If you stay in Torrey, try the Chuck Wagon for a good cheap hotel and Thousand Lakes camp ground ask for Big “E” he can tell you a lot about the area. Tell him that the UBBC said to look him up.
From there you can go back up 12 to the Burr Trail or follow Andreas rout but either way you need to see the Moki Dugway on Hwy 261 it is a must see and below that is the Goose Necks. :thumbup:
More to come!
Andreas, just a question, Why 22 and 62 and not 12? I have not ridden it in a long time but don't remember any thing spectacular about it. Maybe I need to go back?
I had 12 on the second map, from Torrey down to boulder, riding burr trail to the other side of the park, then on to Colorado for the Graduation.

Also recommended, but not for the weak at heart, is to do a HWY 12 loop starting and ending in torrey, I hear riding the Backbone is a little nerve racking. People arre known to just stop and freeze because left and right the drop offs are dizzying.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Let's see if this works. Had to break it down.

Madras, OR to Co Springs (if it works)

Madras to CO Springs - Google Maps

Burr Trail to Co. Springs via Moki Dugway and Valley of the Gods

Burr Trail to Co Springs - Google Maps

Not sure what Google maps will show you. It shows me something different each time. I could scream!!!

Your maps look good, Didn't know you want to go that far south. Interesting Idea taking the Ferry. Maybe you could take a few minutes and stop at 4-Corners.

, when the wife and I were planning a 5 state road trip, I bought a western united states map and pinned it to the wall, Then with different Hilighters I had marked different routes after playing with google maps .
Helped us greatly , also was able to mark hotels, keep out daily mileage in check, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Andreas Have you seen Moki if not you need to see it.
Madcap If you get around Torrey you need to ride 72 #one sports car road in the US. (north of Torrey below I-70) Off of 72 there is a road that runs up to Fish Lake. It is well worth the up and back, Fast fun.
If this ends up on your list on the way home, after that cross I-70 catch 10 or east to Co RD 803( neat little hole in the ground) 10 is boring but in the middle there is an odd gentile man that is trying to ward off aliens with sculptures, fun to see. This road takes you to Huntington and Huntington Canyon 31. This road was built to for Coal trucks to run at 65 mph. No trucks now and on a bike it is a A+ road
At the top of this canyon is another road ,96/264 Eccles canyon. Nice road but be careful I bounced at 70 on this road It was not fun.
After that take 6 south to Emma park cutoff to 191 or keep going down 6 to 191.This is another great road that will take you over a high pass and in to a high desert canyon, you will have fun.
At the end of that road is Duchene. On the other side you will find Wolf creek pass. I ride this on most lazy summer weekends. It is that good!
All the roads in this post are open all year long for one reason or another, Except for the last one but it should be open this by this time of the year. If not there other ways around it.
And now where to???? What about the Pony Express trail or Golden spike?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts