StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Never, ever, having done lane splitting, I have a question. When, let's say, multiple lanes of traffic on a controlled highway have crawled to a stop for a red light, and Joe Strom split lanes to the front of the swarm, does Joe really get to the intersection still splitting lanes and in between two cars at the front, the light turns green and Joe Strom gets to gun it and leave all the others in his dust?
I have never even seen this done.
Around here someone would eventually either ram you or shoot you.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This bill is limited to roads with speed limits >50, traffic is going <10, and the moto can't go any faster than 20. Basically it's only for hwy traffic jams. Easy and safe.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Never, ever, having done lane splitting, I have a question. When, let's say, multiple lanes of traffic on a controlled highway have crawled to a stop for a red light, and Joe Strom split lanes to the front of the swarm, does Joe really get to the intersection still splitting lanes and in between two cars at the front, the light turns green and Joe Strom gets to gun it and leave all the others in his dust?
Having done lane splitting in Calif, Panama, and Germany on both an old BMW and GL1500 Gold Wing, gunning the engine is not necessary. My experience is drivers, especially in Germany, are courteous.

During traffic jams on the Autobahn, otherwise known as a stau, drivers moved their cars AWAY from the white line to provide motorcycles MORE room to get thru. Riders were also courteous and not blazing thru stopped traffic. They rode thru at reasonable speeds and blended back into traffic once everyone started moving again.

In Panama City, Panama, one driver could have taken me out when I failed to check before pulling into his lane. Instead, he locked up his brakes and didn't kill me.

To answer your basic question, yes, bikes get to the front of stopped traffic by splitting lanes and pull out in front of most cars. But they still have to blend into moving traffic once the light turns green if there are several bikes lined up.

·
Registered
14,853 Posts
Lane splitting is safe and effective for getting through the traffic that clogs the roadway.
It's so sad to hear some nay sayers suggest no one should do it because they don't think it is safe.
All Yall's go ahead and sit in stopped traffic but don't stifle the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Lane splitting is safe and effective for getting through the traffic that clogs the roadway.
It's so sad to hear some nay sayers suggest no one should do it because they don't think it is safe.
All Yall's go ahead and sit in stopped traffic but don't stifle the rest of us.
You don't mean me, do you?
Honest. I really don't know. Mine were questions, not opinions.
And I still hope for replies more germane to the topic in general. I would like to know.

·
Registered
894 Posts

In California that is how it works. As long as the cars are far enough apart so as not to hit them or their mirrors you can go the front of the line.
Lane splitting is common on the freeways as well. It is intended to be done as traffic is slowing due to congestion. It is not meant to be used like a race track weaving between cars at high rates of speed.
Most but not all of the car drivers will give you extra space IF they see you in their mirrors. I had a driver intentionally cut me off in a 5mph traffic jam. I'm not sure if he thought I was breaking the law, was jealous that that his car wouldn't fit or if he was just a jerk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a sample letter:

Name
Address

Date

Your senator and representative found at
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/findyourlegislator/leg-districts.html

Senator Jeff Kruse (sponsor)

RE: SB385 Motorcycle passing

My name is ______________ and I reside at _________________, Oregon. I am an ___________ working at __________. I am writing you to ask that you help make my commute safer. When the traffic is stopped, I'm at risk of being hit from behind. In a car this would be a fender bender, but on a motorcycle it is a hospital visit. This bill allows me to slowly and safely move out of the way in that situation. Please support SB 385 and help save lives.

I appreciate your help and ask that you please send me a response letting me know if you are able to pass a Bill that would make my commute safer to ride.

Thank you for your time and considering my request.

Sincerely,

Name

·
Registered
204 Posts
On a work trip to Penang Malaysia (a small island) I rented a motorcycle for the weekend and road around the perimeter of the island. They have a higher ratio of motorcycles to cars than we do in Oregon and lane splitting is the norm. All cars were curious in my limited experience. What surprised me the most was how easily I adapted to doing it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Does this mean no "shotgunning" on city streets at stoplights?
I've been splitting on freeways and at stop lights in So. CA for years, and to me there is as much safety advantage to rolling up between lanes at a stoplight as there is on freeways in slow traffic, after witnessing so many rear-enders at lights by non-attentive drivers, and reading too many stories of crushed bikers for the same reason. Would be a shame if that part were not included in the OR bill. That said I'm not entirely sure that this was included in the CA bill (AB 64? maybe that was the pot bill...), but I've split right in plain view of local police with no problem so maybe it's tolerated by extension.

By far the greatest danger in splitting are cars that take sudden and usually illegal lane jerks with no signal. I can see and avoid inattentiveness and phone slaves a mile away.

·
Registered
14,853 Posts
"You don't mean me, do you? "

Only if you think we all otta sit in line.
I've lane split in all lanes of the So Cal Freeways. It's not illegal. Done sanely, no big deal. I've given way to the Truckers who try to merge and Truckers in both adjoining lanes have moved over for me.
I've followed Motor Officers lane split in the High Occupancy lanes and had them follow me and play part the traffic.
It's a matter of mutual respect.
I had an acquaintance mindlessly give slow traffic the finger when he got by first and there were more of us trying to get around too. Dumb on his part.
Many vehicles will pull over and let you have room in the lane once they realize you are there. A polite wave is given to those that do.
It's the dweebs that go overly fast that put people off to the practice.
It was easy when I had the the retired Highway Patrol bike. Hence the notacop. 'Cus I ain't.:grin2:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here's a sample letter:
Date
Your senator and representative found at
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/findyourlegislator/leg-districts.html
Senator Jeff Kruse (sponsor)
RE: SB385 Motorcycle passing
My name is ______________ and I reside at _________________, Oregon. I am an ___________ working at __________. I am writing you to ask that you help make my commute safer. When the traffic is stopped, I'm at risk of being hit from behind. In a car this would be a fender bender, but on a motorcycle it is a hospital visit. This bill allows me to slowly and safely move out of the way in that situation. Please support SB 385 and help save lives.
I appreciate your help and ask that you please send me a response letting me know if you are able to pass a Bill that would make my commute safer to ride.
Thank you for your time and considering my request.
Sincerely,
Name
Cryoman, thanks for the help!
I've leveraged you sample letter that will go out in tomorrows mail and have sent an email as well, ccing Senator Jeff Kruse.
I noted that I commute about 7k miles a year, etc.
Cheers,

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm all for a conservative approach to lane sharing/filtering which the Oregon Bill proposes. The argument usually used to bolster the case for lane sharing is a reduction in injuries or death for motorcyclists from being rear ended however it does add an additional safety risk, but why?

The problem I've found is finding adequate quantitative stats. The Hurt Report is from 1981 with stats from the late 1970's.

The MAIDS study from 5 countries in Europe was recently published and from what I can tell the underlying majority of accidents between motorists and motorcyclists occurs from both motorists and motorcyclists failing to do a traffic scan ("traffic scan error"). Of course, the percentage of accidents due to traffic scan error by motorists eclipses motorcyclists (68%). Rear end collisions were very small and in all these countries lane splitting is widely practiced but not legal in some countries. (France just legalized lane splitting in 2016 even though motorcyclists have been doing it for 30 years or more!).

A lack of attention and awareness to the environment surrounding your car or motorcycle is the root cause of most accidents, including rear end collisions. Since the percentage of accidents due to these factors is so high why have lawmakers not addressed this yet find lane filtering at slow speeds "unsafe". If we fixed the problem of people using cell phones will driving and yes, riding, or zoning out thinking about everything else but the task at hand (something that is lethal while on a motorcycle) we can lower the injuries and fatalities and make lane filtering/sharing a safe practice.

So my argument with lawmakers who come up with the added small safety risk of lane sharing/filtering for a reason not to support a conservative approach to lane sharing/filtering is why are you sitting on your hands while avoidable unsafe road practices, primarily by motorists, cause the level of carnage on our roadways. What measures can be initiated to make roads safer for motorcyclists? How do you change behaviour? What works elsewhere? Lack of attention and awareness not only creates significant safety risks for motorcyclists but also pedestrians and cyclists. Cyclists have been better organized in reducing risks to them by getting bike lanes separated from traffic through barriers, several measures are put in place to protect pedestrians and both these measures have reduced, but not eliminated, injuries and fatalities and now its motorcyclists turn.

In a recent journey to California, in a rental car, I had forgotten that lane 'splitting' was now legal however I was surprised, more like frightened, when at 60 mph a motorcyclist passed me between lanes! It's that behaviour that makes lawmakers and motorists anti-lane sharing/filtering.

One important fact, most motorcyclists are also motorists, we own a motorcycle(s) and a 4 wheeled vehicle. In Oregon one campaign to legalized lane sharing/filtering was by a group calling themselves, "Motorists in Favor of Lane Filtering". Pretty smart.

Oregon's Lane Sharing Bill doesn't pass!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Ton pickup with the two foot pass body rear views would be a fun go around.:grin2: Had a big friend that had a old FLH. Every year four of us would ride down to Gattlinburg ,Tenn. to the Shades of the Past car show.The old shovel heads would get hot fast stuck in traffic. He would all ways lane split like it was legal! The rest would look around like we were going to rob a bank and follow from a good ways behind. It was fun and the cars/trucks did not seem to mind.Some even gave us a thumbs up as we went by.
One year I was last and when I looked in in rear view saw a cop about ten cars back just making a right from side road.Took about ten minutes to catch them at turn off to the camp ground were they were waiting.Sure it would have been a hefty fine if I had not seen him.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts