StromTrooper banner

Oregon 2017 Lane Splitting Bill

13K views 65 replies 31 participants last post by  OCL 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Never, ever, having done lane splitting, I have a question. When, let's say, multiple lanes of traffic on a controlled highway have crawled to a stop for a red light, and Joe Strom split lanes to the front of the swarm, does Joe really get to the intersection still splitting lanes and in between two cars at the front, the light turns green and Joe Strom gets to gun it and leave all the others in his dust?
I have never even seen this done.
Around here someone would eventually either ram you or shoot you.

#4 · (Edited)
Having done lane splitting in Calif, Panama, and Germany on both an old BMW and GL1500 Gold Wing, gunning the engine is not necessary. My experience is drivers, especially in Germany, are courteous.

During traffic jams on the Autobahn, otherwise known as a stau, drivers moved their cars AWAY from the white line to provide motorcycles MORE room to get thru. Riders were also courteous and not blazing thru stopped traffic. They rode thru at reasonable speeds and blended back into traffic once everyone started moving again.

In Panama City, Panama, one driver could have taken me out when I failed to check before pulling into his lane. Instead, he locked up his brakes and didn't kill me.

To answer your basic question, yes, bikes get to the front of stopped traffic by splitting lanes and pull out in front of most cars. But they still have to blend into moving traffic once the light turns green if there are several bikes lined up.

#6 ·
You don't mean me, do you?
Honest. I really don't know. Mine were questions, not opinions.
And I still hope for replies more germane to the topic in general. I would like to know.

#8 ·
Here's a sample letter:

Name
Address

Date

Your senator and representative found at
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/findyourlegislator/leg-districts.html

Senator Jeff Kruse (sponsor)

RE: SB385 Motorcycle passing

My name is ______________ and I reside at _________________, Oregon. I am an ___________ working at __________. I am writing you to ask that you help make my commute safer. When the traffic is stopped, I'm at risk of being hit from behind. In a car this would be a fender bender, but on a motorcycle it is a hospital visit. This bill allows me to slowly and safely move out of the way in that situation. Please support SB 385 and help save lives.

I appreciate your help and ask that you please send me a response letting me know if you are able to pass a Bill that would make my commute safer to ride.

Thank you for your time and considering my request.

Sincerely,

Name

#15 ·
Here's a sample letter:
Date
Your senator and representative found at
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/findyourlegislator/leg-districts.html
Senator Jeff Kruse (sponsor)
RE: SB385 Motorcycle passing
My name is ______________ and I reside at _________________, Oregon. I am an ___________ working at __________. I am writing you to ask that you help make my commute safer. When the traffic is stopped, I'm at risk of being hit from behind. In a car this would be a fender bender, but on a motorcycle it is a hospital visit. This bill allows me to slowly and safely move out of the way in that situation. Please support SB 385 and help save lives.
I appreciate your help and ask that you please send me a response letting me know if you are able to pass a Bill that would make my commute safer to ride.
Thank you for your time and considering my request.
Sincerely,
Name
Cryoman, thanks for the help!
I've leveraged you sample letter that will go out in tomorrows mail and have sent an email as well, ccing Senator Jeff Kruse.
I noted that I commute about 7k miles a year, etc.
Cheers,

#9 ·
On a work trip to Penang Malaysia (a small island) I rented a motorcycle for the weekend and road around the perimeter of the island. They have a higher ratio of motorcycles to cars than we do in Oregon and lane splitting is the norm. All cars were curious in my limited experience. What surprised me the most was how easily I adapted to doing it.

#12 · (Edited)
"You don't mean me, do you? "

Only if you think we all otta sit in line.
I've lane split in all lanes of the So Cal Freeways. It's not illegal. Done sanely, no big deal. I've given way to the Truckers who try to merge and Truckers in both adjoining lanes have moved over for me.
I've followed Motor Officers lane split in the High Occupancy lanes and had them follow me and play part the traffic.
It's a matter of mutual respect.
I had an acquaintance mindlessly give slow traffic the finger when he got by first and there were more of us trying to get around too. Dumb on his part.
Many vehicles will pull over and let you have room in the lane once they realize you are there. A polite wave is given to those that do.
It's the dweebs that go overly fast that put people off to the practice.
It was easy when I had the the retired Highway Patrol bike. Hence the notacop. 'Cus I ain't.:grin2:

#18 · (Edited)
I'm all for a conservative approach to lane sharing/filtering which the Oregon Bill proposes. The argument usually used to bolster the case for lane sharing is a reduction in injuries or death for motorcyclists from being rear ended however it does add an additional safety risk, but why?

The problem I've found is finding adequate quantitative stats. The Hurt Report is from 1981 with stats from the late 1970's.

The MAIDS study from 5 countries in Europe was recently published and from what I can tell the underlying majority of accidents between motorists and motorcyclists occurs from both motorists and motorcyclists failing to do a traffic scan ("traffic scan error"). Of course, the percentage of accidents due to traffic scan error by motorists eclipses motorcyclists (68%). Rear end collisions were very small and in all these countries lane splitting is widely practiced but not legal in some countries. (France just legalized lane splitting in 2016 even though motorcyclists have been doing it for 30 years or more!).

A lack of attention and awareness to the environment surrounding your car or motorcycle is the root cause of most accidents, including rear end collisions. Since the percentage of accidents due to these factors is so high why have lawmakers not addressed this yet find lane filtering at slow speeds "unsafe". If we fixed the problem of people using cell phones will driving and yes, riding, or zoning out thinking about everything else but the task at hand (something that is lethal while on a motorcycle) we can lower the injuries and fatalities and make lane filtering/sharing a safe practice.

So my argument with lawmakers who come up with the added small safety risk of lane sharing/filtering for a reason not to support a conservative approach to lane sharing/filtering is why are you sitting on your hands while avoidable unsafe road practices, primarily by motorists, cause the level of carnage on our roadways. What measures can be initiated to make roads safer for motorcyclists? How do you change behaviour? What works elsewhere? Lack of attention and awareness not only creates significant safety risks for motorcyclists but also pedestrians and cyclists. Cyclists have been better organized in reducing risks to them by getting bike lanes separated from traffic through barriers, several measures are put in place to protect pedestrians and both these measures have reduced, but not eliminated, injuries and fatalities and now its motorcyclists turn.

In a recent journey to California, in a rental car, I had forgotten that lane 'splitting' was now legal however I was surprised, more like frightened, when at 60 mph a motorcyclist passed me between lanes! It's that behaviour that makes lawmakers and motorists anti-lane sharing/filtering.

One important fact, most motorcyclists are also motorists, we own a motorcycle(s) and a 4 wheeled vehicle. In Oregon one campaign to legalized lane sharing/filtering was by a group calling themselves, "Motorists in Favor of Lane Filtering". Pretty smart.

Oregon's Lane Sharing Bill doesn't pass!

#35 ·
The MAIDS study from 5 countries in Europe was recently published and from what I can tell the underlying majority of accidents between motorists and motorcyclists occurs from both motorists and motorcyclists failing to do a traffic scan ("traffic scan error"). Of course, the percentage of accidents due to traffic scan error by motorists eclipses motorcyclists (68%). Rear end collisions were very small and in all these countries lane splitting is widely practiced but not legal in some countries. (France just legalized lane splitting in 2016 even though motorcyclists have been doing it for 30 years or more!).

A lack of attention and awareness to the environment surrounding your car or motorcycle is the root cause of most accidents, including rear end collisions. Since the percentage of accidents due to these factors is so high why have lawmakers not addressed this yet find lane filtering at slow speeds "unsafe". If we fixed the problem of people using cell phones will driving and yes, riding, or zoning out thinking about everything else but the task at hand (something that is lethal while on a motorcycle) we can lower the injuries and fatalities and make lane filtering/sharing a safe practice.

So my argument with lawmakers who come up with the added small safety risk of lane sharing/filtering for a reason not to support a conservative approach to lane sharing/filtering is why are you sitting on your hands while avoidable unsafe road practices, primarily by motorists, cause the level of carnage on our roadways. What measures can be initiated to make roads safer for motorcyclists? How do you change behaviour? What works elsewhere? Lack of attention and awareness not only creates significant safety risks for motorcyclists but also pedestrians and cyclists. Cyclists have been better organized in reducing risks to them by getting bike lanes separated from traffic through barriers, several measures are put in place to protect pedestrians and both these measures have reduced, but not eliminated, injuries and fatalities and now its motorcyclists turn.

In a recent journey to California, in a rental car, I had forgotten that lane 'splitting' was now legal however I was surprised, more like frightened, when at 60 mph a motorcyclist passed me between lanes! It's that behaviour that makes lawmakers and motorists anti-lane sharing/filtering.

Wife and I went to Greece about 6 years ago, and we rented a Honda Trans Alp instead of a car so it would be easier to get around. That was the first time I had ever witnessed lane splitting. a large percent - probably 40% or so - of the vehicles in Athens were either mopeds, scooters, or motorcycles. (Of the two-wheeled variety, the numbers were higher with scooters, then mopeds, and last was motorcycles as I recall.) I was skittish at first to try lane splitting, but after a day of watching others do it, I built up the nerve to try it, and I grew comfortable with doing it over the course of a few days. Over there, it's normal and drivers expect it and even make room for the bikes. I don't know if the law says they have to or not, but I can say it's a different experience than I was used to.

I would have mixed feelings if lane splitting were legal in Texas. On one hand, I do not see as many bikes on the road in Houston as I do in other parts of the country, and I don't trust awareness that cagers would have of us on two wheels. On the other hand, I do think it would be nice to roll up to the front of the line at a stop light unimpeded.

#19 ·
Ton pickup with the two foot pass body rear views would be a fun go around.:grin2: Had a big friend that had a old FLH. Every year four of us would ride down to Gattlinburg ,Tenn. to the Shades of the Past car show.The old shovel heads would get hot fast stuck in traffic. He would all ways lane split like it was legal! The rest would look around like we were going to rob a bank and follow from a good ways behind. It was fun and the cars/trucks did not seem to mind.Some even gave us a thumbs up as we went by.
One year I was last and when I looked in in rear view saw a cop about ten cars back just making a right from side road.Took about ten minutes to catch them at turn off to the camp ground were they were waiting.Sure it would have been a hefty fine if I had not seen him.

#21 ·
Died. Rumors have it the bill will be reintroduced in 2019.

#23 ·
Here's the latest:

"Next steps ... please contact your State Representative, asking for their support on HB2314. We’ve made it easy:

1. Go to: laneshareoregon.com/#get-involved

2. Enter your address and name to find your state legislators.

3. Select your Representative, and click the "Send an Email" button. A note will auto-populate your email. Feel free to customize the note, tell them about yourself, and why YOU support HB2314. (We recommend adding your address to the email; it helps your legislators know you're in their district.) Then SEND the email.

4. Repeat (4) for your State Senator.

It only takes a few minutes, but it will make a big difference for HB2314. When Legislators tell us “I’ve been hearing good things about HB2314 from my constituents!” that’s how we win their support. You can learn more about the bill and reasons to support it at laneshareoregon.com.

Thanks to everyone who submitted written testimony for the Feb 20 public hearing. If you're interested you can watch the hearing here: Joint Committee On Transportation 2019-02-20 5:00 PM - Feb 20th, 2019

We will keep you posted on next steps. Thank you for helping out!"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Lane splitting was introduced in Queensland five years ago when I was living in Brisbane.
Four out of every five lane splitters I saw were, I felt, imposing themselves on other motorists.

These are the rules.

"You're only allowed to lane filter in Queensland if you hold an open licence for the motorcycle you are riding and:

your speed when filtering is 30km/h or less
it's safe to do so.

You're not allowed to lane filter:

at a speed more than 30km/h
in school zones during school zone hours
if you're a learner or provisional licence holder
when a 'no filtering' sign applies to the length of road
if it isn't safe.

A motorcycle rider is not allowed to use a bicycle lane to lane filter."
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/rules/motorcycle#filtering

• These rules are often abused. Excessive speed and macho manoeuvres are commonplace.
  • Any rider told so reacts with aggression and says "I'm allowed to".
  • As the 4 lane main feeder roads were not built to handle this lane splitting it can only be achieved by riding within inches of other vehicles.
  • I have seen lane splitting at 100kph. (Harley owner)
  • To me, lane splitting is just queue jumping. It is not as though those motorcycles magically disappear ahead of you. Would you do it at the supermarket checkout?
  • This practice, when abused, reflects poorly on motorcyclists in general.

In 52 years I have never been hit from behind while waiting at the lights.

#26 ·
Good luck with that. I lane split when I have to. Worst was from Las Vegas to Victorville on a hot Sunday afternoon, 172 milse. Very unpleasant and nerve racking.
All those dweebs in their cars pissed from losing their rent money in Vegas or hungover from too much 'what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas'. A rolling road block.

#27 ·
Not too long ago there was a rider at a red light who was rear ended and killed by a gal in an Audi SUV. She later said it was the sun in her eyes, but I dont buy it. Wasnt the first, and won't be the last. I'm constantly ready to gun it between cars as I judge how fast someone behind me is coming to a stop. Lane sharing at walking speeds is not asking for a lot.

#28 ·
In Queensland lane splitting applies to all roads - not just motorways, and I often saw those privileges being abused.
I also saw in the daily commute at traffic lights motorcycles filtering between the two lines of waiting traffic, making for a jumble of vehicles at the head of the queue. Usually when the lights turned green the two cars at the head of the queue would sit there for several seconds waiting for the motorcycles to leave before moving off, meaning that cars at the back of the queue would miss out and have to wait for the next lights cycle to cross the intersection.
To my mind, lane splitting can be a great igniter of road rage.

#34 ·
Usually when the lights turned green the two cars at the head of the queue would sit there for several seconds ...... .....before moving off, meaning that cars at the back of the queue would miss out and have to wait for the next lights cycle to cross the intersection.
Yep, it's a daily occurrence here. The only difference is here it's due to idiots playing on their cell phone instead of paying attention to the traffic signal.

#30 ·
#31 ·
I rather think the guy in the black car are is an A-hole and is guilty of hit and run.
A firm swing with a cricket bat to the back of his head may enlighten him to the stupidity of his ways.
There should be a test of fetus to see if they have the intelligence to function well in society. That would eliminate so many social ills.:fineprint:
Horribly difficult to affect I'd imagine.

#33 ·
Recently moved to Ballard WA from Oakland CA, after 7 years of lane splitting. From comparison to previous riding in Ohio, lane splitting is without a question how it should be everywhere; filtering permitting at minimum.

Since riding again in urban roads, not having the ability to split is ludacris. Trying to get a ballot initiative here in Seattle...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.