StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

Placing an order for crash bars today or tomorrow..I read about the Givi's vibrating a lot and needing ball bearings and expansion foam to quiet them down

From the Hepco & Becker owners, do you also have this vibrating problem..Where did you find the best price and especially those in Canada..how about the price and shipping

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
450 Posts
Not everyone experiences vibration with the Givi's. Of the dozen or so Strom riders I know who use Givi's only one has reported vibration issues. Nothing wrong with the H-B and I'm not saying to get the Givi's over any other, but I wouldn't avoid them either.

·
0 Posts
I've got the HB Crash Bars and Amotostuff Skidplate on my 05 DL 1000 and I have NO vibration whatsoever.

I can attest to the fact that the HB Bars can protect your bike in a fall...10mph in wet grass, left side, no damage to the bike at all. Pushed in the bar maybe 1/4".

I don't know about Givi's...but can recommend HB's.

Adventure Motostuff is where I bought mine...but I live in the US.

BTD.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I just wanna know why anyone would be grabbing the crash bars while the bike is running. I have no idea if the H-B bars vibrate or not and I've got 60k miles on them. :confused:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I just wanna know why anyone would be grabbing the crash bars while the bike is running. I have no idea if the H-B bars vibrate or not and I've got 60k miles on them. :confused:
I don't think they are complaining about the (HB) bars vibrating, they are talking about the bars causing vibration that can be felt in other parts of the bike. Handel bars, seat, pegs and so on.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
The presence of any excess vibration whether perceived in normal riding position or not would seem to be of interest or concern - bolts coming loose, metal fatigue, etc. That is why I felt my Givis and was concerned. The addition of the skidplate and HT highway bars may have moved those vibs into the perceptable range - 5-6k is rather vibey. 4.5k dead smooth, 6+k not-so-bad.

That said, I might someday try a different set, but feel no real need to do so. The Givis appear to come up farther and offer more protection, but also make access to the lower, rear cowling fastener (the one going into the radiator) a pain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
HB Price

My HB Crash Bars and Amotostuff Skidplate were bought earlier this year from Adventure Motostuff. Cost for the two was $450 USD + $50 USD shipping.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I read about the Givi's vibrating a lot and needing ball bearings and expansion foam to quiet them down
This seems to be a serious question and not an attempt at humor. But....BALL BEARINGS for crash bars?!!

Ummm...where would you install the ball bearings? And how would a ball bearing -- which is, after all designed to reduce friction between a shaft (like an axle) and the surface the shaft contacts (like wheel hub) -- reduce vibration anyway?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Crash Bars

I use the SW Motec from twisted throttle. I have no vibration or noise issues. I have droped the bike several times with only scratching the paint but no bending. Also, I was able to mount the SW Motec skid plate (all the others are useless for any serious hits) and foot pegs with excellant ergonomics. Weight is on the heavy side. Mounting was easy but I am mechanically inclined.

Good luck and hope you never need to use the crash bars.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've got Givi's- no vibration issues at all, I like they way they actually cover more of the bike than the H-B's, IMO, that's what crashbars are for. Cheers-BB

·
Registered
900 Posts
My Givi's vibrate. When you look at them they are a blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Worst at about 5800 rpm. I installed some radiator hose wedged between the bars and the bolt hole, as suggested in one of the MANY fixes,that helped some.I also did the RTV fix at the joint that tyes them together, no help there. The ball bearings are really BBs for a BB gun. Havn't tried that yet. It is enough to loosen bolts that have never come loose before. At 5800 RPM you can't see in the mirror.
Now that said...................I think I am especially critical, one of the reasons I bought a Wee was the silky smooth bike. If I wanted something that vibrated, I might have bought something else. The vibs are worse than my old KZ750, witch most people would say was farily smooth. Many people say you get used to it. Maybe so. But why would you want to.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I have the Givi's also and no vibration at all. I will also use them as an additional leg position while moving down the interstate, just throw you leg on top and rest for a while.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Givi installation

At the front where the 2 bars join there is a wide metal washer--it is loose and the joining bolt cannot be tightened any more. I think that is the source of the noise and vibration--seems to me there should be rubber spacers installed--is mine installed correctly?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mine are tight. There are some suggeations for modding that joint, but mine didn't need it. I did add some RTV in the joint, as suggested, no help. They just pick and amplify all the harmonic engine pulses. I now have developed a buzz in my morror, that is from the constant vibs of the Givi's. I also have bolts comming loose that never came loose before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts