StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many nights of research I decided the 2610 would be just right for me at just over $200. I talked to Garmin to see about the updates and to also make sure that the place I was ordering from was a certified dealer. The rep I talked to said that the 2610 was a good unit but was NOT eligible for the next update. She said the 2720 would be an even better unit and come with the new software.

So back to the drawing board I went: I found that the 2720 had a couple more features for about the same amount of dough (including the $75 update for the 2610).

Then I found Getfeetwet.com which had the debunded version of the 2730 for about $25 more. This would add the MP3 player and FM stereo. I chose the debundled version WITHOUT the XM antenna because I knew I would never use it. This saved me over $200. So to make a long story short, my 2730 will arrive tomorrow and I'm just real excited, that's all. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Nice, how are you planning on mounting it? That Motech mount on twisted throttle looks like the nicest available mounting solution. Is that 2730 waterproof?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd love to get the Touratech mount, but at $200 I just can't justify it. A very nice piece of equipment it is, but maybe later. I went with the Garmin motorcycle mount. I don't believe it locks, so I'll have to take it off everytime I stop. The XM antenna would be nice, but I figured if I could save $200, I would. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
The garmin mount has a security screw in it so you can leave it on the bike. If someone wants to get it they would be able to break the mount though. Just depends on how motivated the thief is.

Love my 2730, and the XM. I listened to XM all the way from Northern VA to TN and back. MP3 function is good for when you are in mountain region where the XM loses signal constantly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you're planning on using the GPS in conjunction with a PC, then go for the RAM mount--you have to take the 27xx series out of the mount to plug in a USB cable (unless you've got one with a right-angle connector that you can leave permanently installed) and the RAM mount makes that a lot easier. If you've got the GPS mounted up under the windshield it's difficult to get it off the Garmin mount without scratching the windshield, not that scratches there are a big deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts