StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Sonics arrived yesterday. I've seen in an earlier post somewhere that it is recommended to drain the fork oil by removing them (removing all the other bits as well). The premise for this was to inspect the forks while you have them apart. Sounds like good sensible reasoning but.....i'd like your thought on the following.......

My bike is an 06, 5000 km, and I try to keep it meticulous. It is low kms so far, no shock problems, seals appear good (from outside anyway). Seems to me that all the key parts I'd want to inspect come out just as easily by leaving the forks on and using a sunction gun to remove the fork oil , them reinstalling the SONICS as per spec. Seems to be less work with no apparent increase in risk?

I know how to sling wrenches but don't profess to be a master bike builder or mechanic - it just seems that if things are generally working OK now and there's a regular mtce schedule to follow anyway - why dissassemble more parts than are necessary to do the right job. My thoughts - I'd like to hear yours.

Thanks and safe riding,

Bob

·
Registered
314 Posts
Aside from the probability of leaving some old oil in there, I guess you can change them out on the bike. I removed my forks when I installed my Sonic Springs. Pumping the forks up and down (to remove air bubbles) when adding new oil may be a little more tedious. It's not rocket science as long as you end up with a reasonable/similar volume of oil in each leg.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
I did the complete removal and disassembly at 5000 miles. It really surprised me how dirty the oil was. Most was from the breaking in of the parts(metal glitter in the oil). If you have a center stand it's a fairly easy job, about 2+ hrs. I'm sure it will stay cleaner now and am really glad I did it. Don't think you could do nearly as good a job without complete disassembly. Good luck.

PS- remove one leg, then the fender, then the other leg.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
My new Sonics arrived yesterday. I've seen in an earlier post somewhere that it is recommended to drain the fork oil by removing them (removing all the other bits as well). The premise for this was to inspect the forks while you have them apart. Sounds like good sensible reasoning but.....i'd like your thought on the following.......

My bike is an 06, 5000 km, and I try to keep it meticulous. It is low kms so far, no shock problems, seals appear good (from outside anyway). Seems to me that all the key parts I'd want to inspect come out just as easily by leaving the forks on and using a sunction gun to remove the fork oil , them reinstalling the SONICS as per spec. Seems to be less work with no apparent increase in risk?

I know how to sling wrenches but don't profess to be a master bike builder or mechanic - it just seems that if things are generally working OK now and there's a regular mtce schedule to follow anyway - why dissassemble more parts than are necessary to do the right job. My thoughts - I'd like to hear yours.

Thanks and safe riding,

Bob
Bob,

It's really best to pull the tubes and dump the old oil that way. You'll never get all the old oil out with the suction method, and the part that remains is the worst of it with the majority of the sludge and wear metal particles. It's also harder to set the level accurately with the tubes on the bike.

Taking the tubes off is one of those jobs that seems bigger than it is. Actually quite simple (and fast), just follow the steps in the instructions.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - appreciated

To all respondents to this post -many thanks. I read each response a number of times and particularly appreciate the fact you pointed out the risk(s) I would eliminate , or the benefits I'd gain by doing the proper install.

It's this kind of "do it this way, and here's why" advice I greatly appreciate since it is the same kind of advice I supply my own customers (I run my own consulting company in telecommunications, specializing in solutions development).

Much appreciated and Thanks.

Rich: your customer service at Sonic is excellent. Thanks for answering my questions and the promptness of your feedback.

Safe riding,

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts