StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you wear it ? Do you think it's a good idea to wear it? Opinions sought, let er rip. I am considering doing a piece on the subject for a magazine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I always wear a hi viz vest. It does make a difference. How much of a difference depends on environmental and situational variables. I think it sends a better message over loud pipes. They never say they didn't hear you if you get in a wreck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
after 5 years of riding, and over 102K miles....

I started off as big believer in hi-viz clothing and markings...now, not so much....it helps but its not the end all to keep you safe either.

This article I read and I posted about pretty much says it all: LINK

Not to dissuade anyone re using Hi-Viz of course, just don't rely solely on it to be visible or avoid "incidents" with unseeing, unwary, clueless cagers.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
All I can say is that when it's time to replace the current riding gear, I will be considering it because I think the possible benefits outweigh fashion, etc. Not sure I'd pay a premium price for a jacket if I could get the same or similar non-hi-vis at clearance prices.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I always wear hi-viz gear. I believe that it helps others see me better in traffic, but I don't rely on it. I still expect people to enter my right of way. I think that hi-viz riding gear helps reduce the number of times that this happens though.

I specifically look for motorcycles in traffic and I still have a hard time noticing the guys that are dressed all in black.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi viz is just a tool. co_g30, I'm targeting your post at all and agree with it.

We had 2 threads in the past few months and some individuals in the anti hi viz crowd seems to claim that people who wear hi viz like to use hi viz as a crutch and not pay attention to the road or use the z line or be proactive in their safety in any other way. I don't think I have seen anyone post that they use their hi viz in that manner. It is a tool just like your helmet.

I don't hear anybody suggest that people wearing a helmet are not proactive about safety by wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I got a neon yellow scorpion 700 helmet. My first really high viz piece of equipment. It REALLY stands out and unlike others I can prove it.

I got a ticket a week later and the cop said I stood out like a sore thumb

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've noticed how well the hi-vis shows up and can see no harm in it. If it helps even one person in a vehicle see me sooner then it is worth it. Have a white helmet for the same reason. Those things and a loud horn for those don't see me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Darien jacket is hi-viz. Actually, it WAS hi-viz when it was new. Not quite so hi-viz now. Somewhat over 300K miles riding in the past 10 years, all but the first 2 years with Hi-viz. I think it's one more thing that might make me stand out, but absolutely don't rely on it. Especially here around DC, every little bit helps.

When I was riding the ST1300, it was not unusual for people to move out of the lane, thinking I was a cop.

Chris
'05 Vee

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wear a hi viz jacket..... don't really care about anybody elses positive or negative opinion on it either. Everytime I leave the house I leave a few things at home I couldn't live without so I ride around like a lightning bug.

On a side note..... I met a local girl this past weekend who rides a brand new GSXR 750 and she wears one of those airbag jackets. She had an accident with one last yr with the bike totalled and she swears it saved her live.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I usually put a high-viz mesh cheapo vest over my jacket when I head out, but the bulk of my gear is black, simply because I was shopping for bargains when I bought it.

If I were getting anything at full price, I would have a white helmet and a screaming yellow one-piece suit... down the line, maybe, but not for now.

The numbers apparently do bear out that if you wear hi-viz, and a white helmet, and stay off the road at night your odds of getting clipped by another vehicle are substantially lower.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I usually put a high-viz mesh cheapo vest over my jacket when I head out, but the bulk of my gear is black, simply because I was shopping for bargains when I bought it.

If I were getting anything at full price, I would have a white helmet and a screaming yellow one-piece suit... down the line, maybe, but not for now.

The numbers apparently do bear out that if you wear hi-viz, and a white helmet, and stay off the road at night your odds of getting clipped by another vehicle are substantially lower.
Interesting..... I wear a Shoei Multitec in crystal white and a hi-viz yellow Olympia AST..... on an orange bike. No research involved, just my own decisions to look like a bowl of fruit loops out there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I realize many might disagree, but fashionable or not. . .most anything that I can do to make myself more visible--whether it be "hi-viz" colors, modulating headlights, blinking stop lights, etc., makes sense to me.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Try this out if you are a non-believer. Last weekend my wife and I went to Harlan for an ATV outing with about 40 like minded maniacs. On the drive down we played a game...kinda like spot the bettle (VW). Only we played spot the Hi-Viz guy.

Like it or not there are lots of us now who have decided fashion should take a back seat to safety...always.

So, next time you see a Hi viz rider ask yourself...

Did I see him early because he glows?
Did I see him better than riders wearing black?
Did he look like he was having less fun than the guy in black?

Yes, its my soapbox when it comes to Hi-Viz. Nothing else is cheap, weighs nothing, isn't hot or cold, and can save your life like Hi-Viz. Last week I passed a Harley Poker Run on the interstate. These guys were all on chromed out pirate ships but over 50% had Hi-Viz shirts on. It apperas Hi-Viz is the new leather...even for Pirates.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Can you see me Now??

A co-worker saw me about 1 mile ahead of him, on the freeway, while on my way to work

Too bad it's hard to keep as clean as day one. After a few years I think I'm ready for a new one. A little green in it this time :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Me too. I painted my helmet white; it was a ghastly cracked skull graphic that was outdated and cheap when I bought it.
I've noticed how well the hi-vis shows up and can see no harm in it. If it helps even one person in a vehicle see me sooner then it is worth it.
+1
My Darien jacket is hi-viz. Actually, it WAS hi-viz when it was new. Not quite so hi-viz now.
Hi viz needs to be really new & clean & bright to be truly hi viz.

A couple of points--one of the lime green high viz items does not stand out well against sunlit greenery. Orange is better here. A Class 3 hi viz vest has sleeves with reflective stripes, which can help one stand out at night when wearing a back pack (dangerous when you fall) or if you carry tall luggage on the rear rack. The reflective strips on high viz vests are especially good at night, because they are unlike the other things a motorist expects to see and sometimes fails to notice.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was rear ended on my Wee about 6 weeks ago as I was slowing to make a right turn. If I ever recover from a broken back:bom_veryangry2:, I'll be wearing hi-viz.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts