StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the factory panniers like for the new bike?
I gather they're only moderately sized, at I think 29+26 litres.. A bit more space would have been nice.

I wondered if anyone can talk about how well they fit onto the bike? Fairly neatly and well, or do they stick out miles to the side? is the space inside pretty usable or is it hard to pack?

Some photos of the cases would be lovely too!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just got my panniers yesterday. They shipped them separately from the motorcycle, (adventure version). I will attach pics later. My impression? Don't like them. I can tell the locking mechanism is not going to hold up, very cheaply made, they are pretty small as well. The left side can hold 2 1 gallon jugs, will find out today after work if it will hold a 12 pack of beer. The right side is even less as it has a huge hump to make room for the exhaust pipe. I'm going to sell them on eBay and get better panniers in the future. They must contract accessories out to another company as the panniers do not match the rest of the bike in terms of quality.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
jmackd1,
Thanks for the honest evaluation. I believe you just made a number of Vstrommers happy knowing they will be buying aftermarket panniers and get what they really want. I hope you are enjoying the GOOD things about the Vee2. :thumbup:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think the aftermarket is going to be the way to go. I'm going to bit the engine guards and center stand from suzuki and that's it. And I'm only getting the engine guards from them due to a discount from the dealer I bought the bike from. Ill buy the bash plate from one of our vendors here, Yan says his will fit the new bike so well see.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I think the aftermarket is going to be the way to go. I'm going to bit the engine guards and center stand from suzuki and that's it. And I'm only getting the engine guards from them due to a discount from the dealer I bought the bike from. Ill buy the bash plate from one of our vendors here, Yan says his will fit the new bike so well see.
Jake,
I am pretty much doing the same thing. I did order the Suzuki engine guards on Ebay after recommendations from those that have them as being made well.
I paid 335. no shipping or tax. I will wait for an aftermarket skidplate (hope they come soon as I have a few weekend rides coming up), and have to decide on either retrofitting my Givi V46 topbox or getting a new one. The prices of Suzuki's topbox, panniers and other accessories are crazy.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Jake,
I am pretty much doing the same thing. I did order the Suzuki engine guards on Ebay after recommendations from those that have them as being made well.
I paid 335. no shipping or tax. I will wait for an aftermarket skidplate (hope they come soon as I have a few weekend rides coming up), and have to decide on either retrofitting my Givi V46 topbox or getting a new one. The prices of Suzuki's topbox, panniers and other accessories are crazy.
I decided to go aftermarket on all of my add-ons. The deciding factor for me (if I was to buy a new Wee which I am not) would be the high cost of Suzuki stuff as well as the mediocre quality of their add-ons. There is high quality stuff out there for less than what Suzuki wants for theirs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just got my panniers yesterday. They shipped them separately from the motorcycle, (adventure version). I will attach pics later. My impression? Don't like them. I can tell the locking mechanism is not going to hold up, very cheaply made, they are pretty small as well. The left side can hold 2 1 gallon jugs, will find out today after work if it will hold a 12 pack of beer. The right side is even less as it has a huge hump to make room for the exhaust pipe. I'm going to sell them on eBay and get better panniers in the future. They must contract accessories out to another company as the panniers do not match the rest of the bike in terms of quality.
Here are the pics of the stock panniers..It is confirmed that the left side does in fact hold a 12 pack but for $1600 list price you can find alot better panniers.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
More pics, as you can see they are not very big...
Picture 163959 says it all :thumbup:

Suzuki went from one side of the scale to the other. The bags on the DL1000 were ginormous. The European surveys Suzuki undertook came back with the riders wishing for smaller bags.

Now they (and we) have those smaller bags. Am I disappointed in the available space? Yes. What's more disappointing is the amount of usable space. I intend to make a box for each that fits the odd space in order to make them more functional for touring.

On the other hand, they look good and are nice to zip through traffic with. If you're just commuting with some wet weather gear, a lunch and a laptop, they work just fine.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The BM system panniers on the oilheads were similarly challenged on space and convenience. They were sensible enough to offer bigger lids which added an extra 6 litres per side, which on the exhaust side made it go from not much use to being usable, if you used the inner bags as well. That way for short trips solo you had the narrow width of the small lids, and the carrying capacity for two up trips where essentials like a hair dryer are a pre-condition of being on a trip on the bike, but you lost a little filtering ability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Givi Trekker Outback

The mounting bar only came out a few days ago (at least here in Europe), but I mounted them (see pics) just tonight : 2 X 48l. They are huge, but in the end make the bike only 20 cm wider ( 2 x 10 cm) or a total of 115 cm (46 in). The nice thing is they are the stock standard panniers - they get mounted above the exhaust. They top out a few cm above the passenger saddle. I did not drive them yet, but sitting on the back saddle you still have room to rest the middle of your foot on the support, but not much further back. The price (with tax) for the whole set was 861€

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,523 Posts
The mounting bar only came out a few days ago (at least here in Europe), but I mounted them (see pics) just tonight : 2 X 48l. They are huge, but in the end make the bike only 20 cm wider ( 2 x 10 cm) or a total of 115 cm (46 in). The nice thing is they are the stock standard panniers - they get mounted above the exhaust. They top out a few cm above the passenger saddle. I did not drive them yet, but sitting on the back saddle you still have room to rest the middle of your foot on the support, but not much further back. The price (with tax) for the whole set was 861€
THAT.....is how the new Vee2 should look!!!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I saw the Adventure version today in person, and because of the exhaust, aftermarket racks are going to have to stick out a fair bit on the right side. The Outback cases shown above, as mentioned, sit above the exhaust and therefore can be pulled in a bit. I got the sense that deeper panniers will not fit unless the rack is way out there. Probably the smaller Outbacks will be a good fit overall. As for the stock cases, the right one especially, is basically useless. I doubt it is sized as large as some of the numbers that have been posted. Another good mod would be if someone came up with a lower slip-on that still looked good and was mountable.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I saw the Adventure version today in person, and because of the exhaust, aftermarket racks are going to have to stick out a fair bit on the right side. The Outback cases shown above, as mentioned, sit above the exhaust and therefore can be pulled in a bit. I got the sense that deeper panniers will not fit unless the rack is way out there. Probably the smaller Outbacks will be a good fit overall. As for the stock cases, the right one especially, is basically useless. I doubt it is sized as large as some of the numbers that have been posted. Another good mod would be if someone came up with a lower slip-on that still looked good and was mountable.
I think when Jesse Luggage comes out with theirs in a few weeks I think we will all be impressed.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Will one of the suzuki cases at least hold one full face helmet?

·
Registered
50 Posts
One look at those bags was enough for me to know I wouldn't buy them. ridiculously small, and way too expensive. I have GIVI E36s on my wee, and they work very well for me, especially when I go on trips. And they cost me something like $150 apiece, plus the cost of the rack. I am waiting to see if they make a rack for the V2 that will hold GIVI monokey bags, so I can just use these E36s. I even bought GIVI bagliners for these bags at something like $35 apiece.
The story I heard is that the California riders wanted small bags so they could lane split!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the OEM panniers, they came standard on the adventure model, no they are not big enough for a full face helmet. I will be ordering the SW-mototech racks and the Trax ALU-BOX cases soon. The stock panniers are a joke...They will carry your lunch to work if you commute, but that's about it...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought the Adv bike partly because of the bags. Just did a three day trip all I added was a small soft bag on top and I was good. They are a smaller version of BMW RT or FJR bags in terms of similar construction and mounting, which is what I wanted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts