StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Opinions on what to offer for used Vee... (Photo's Added)

I am looking at a Used 2004 Vee with 49k on the clock. Bike has been repainted to Purple (Puke) but has meticulous maintenance records. Bike comes with 3 piece Hepco and Becker Luggage and a worn out back tire. Owner is asking $2500 for the bike. Or I have found an 06 Wee with 4k on the odometer and a full Leo Vince Exhaust and nothing else for $4k Red in color. The mileage on the 04 Vee doesn't scare me and seems to have been taken well care of. The 06 is almost new condition it seems but no luggage. What bike should I put my offer in on and what should it be? I lean towards the Vee cause of my size being 6'4 240 but hear nothing but good about the Wee's also. Decisions decisions. If I end up with the purple bike it will get a 3m Di-noc Carbon wrap immediately. I'm not a purple guy.... lol.. I think the guy with the Vee might take $2200 or maybe even $2k but I know the guy with the Wee won't budge much, maybe $200 max..

Talked to the owner. He is Firm at $2300 for the Vee. He sent me a Photo of the bike and Luggage. What do you think? Pic's aren't very good quality..

Is this Luggage any good? I only know about the Gobi's.. This is not the Gobi luggage..

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Vee for 2k hands down. If you watch your fuel milage constantly then the wee is right for you.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vee for 2k hands down. If you watch your fuel milage constantly then the wee is right for you.

Fuel Mileage is a concern of mine but for my size "Power" is more important. Not sure the Wee would put a smile on my face. I have ridden a Wee and even though I wasn't disappointed I couldn't help but think how much different it would be with full luggage packed up for a week long trip. I have never ridden a Vee but would imagine there would be a noticeable power difference..

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Not sure the Wee would put a smile on my face. I have ridden a Wee and even though I wasn't disappointed I couldn't help but think how much different it would be with full luggage packed up for a week long trip..
Oh man, I hear the stampede of tiny hooves approaching. Wee riders can hear complaints about power and comfort from a mile away. Ever see "The Gods Must Be Crazy?". Like rhinos (hippos?) to a fire.

Have to agree with CBR. That Vee's worth 2k in aluminum and luggage, and if it's been well cared for, and you're taking care of the paint...?"

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Sounds like a perfect excuse to rhino line it!

·
Registered
522 Posts
How does that Rhino Liner work on a Tank? Ever seen any photo's of a bike done? If so you have any links or pics?
Be different and paint you bike with "Flexstone" patio furniture paint. It looks like granite and feels like it if you don't use clearcoat sealer. A buddy did this with an EX500 years ago and we called it the ROC 500 (we'll see if anyone gets this).

·
Registered
96 Posts
$2k sounds about right for the Vee. It's a little trickier to make the Vee engine smooth, but it's a great bike. I was pretty set on a Wee but the cheap price of my Vee swung me. Not looking back :D.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Yeah 2000 would be nicer.

Pics are more revealing.

I think that'll be a tough sell at 2300.

But then, I already have a strom, so I can afford to wait for a better price.

Looks like the front tire isn't that great either. Might be the photo.

·
Registered
237 Posts
With all the low mileage (below 20k) Vees around, I have to wonder what makes this Vee so special. It's great to have maintenance records but the mileage is high compared to the majority of used bikes and I wouldn't buy a bike that wasn't the color I liked.

That's just me. Why not figure out which you want first (650 or 1000) and then go from there?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
A quick look on cycletrader and Salt Lake City CL suggests the possibility that this may very well be the only used DL1000 within 250 miles priced under 7 grand.

·
Registered
237 Posts
And this is a heck of a time of year to ride a motorcycle in Salt Lake City. The key to getting a good used bike is patience. I still think the OPer needs to sort out if he wants the Vee or the Wee. I'd vote for the Wee.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
How does that Rhino Liner work on a Tank? Ever seen any photo's of a bike done? If so you have any links or pics?
I have done all but the tank on one and I would think the tank will not work any different then the plastic bits. The best part about it is the bugs don't stick to it at all. The time from prep to paint to back on the bike is only about 24 hours.

Here is my wife's DL 1000 I did it myself with a Raptor bed liner kit. I also used the tint-able liner for the silver parts...

If and when I do my bike I am going to do the all of the body parts. A quick scuff and apply is all that is needed.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Before you get yourself set on a wee and buy one you need to ride it. I rode one for a week and I can tell you at 5500 rpm they vibrate the handle bars quite well. It made my hands fall asleep in about 2 min. 5500 is about 72 or so in top gear. I don't think I ran across that many main hi ways or freeways except in local areas that have a slower speed limit then that. Heck it was the first state I ever saw an 80MPH speed limit sign in. At those speeds the wee does not get any better mileage then the vee.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The kits are cheap you can get them at a Napa paint center near you. Or even off of ebay. I think they are like $120. If you get a tint-able liner your local paint store can do their best to match a color. Just know the starting color is off white so an exact match will not happen but hey for the money it is very easy to do. It only took 1.5 of the four cans to do her bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts