StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone from Athens Greece. Trying to find some feedback on the RS III's , esp fitted on V strom 650s. I am currently on Tourances but I'd like to go 100% on road for my next tyre. Metzeler Tourance next would be a safe choice, but.....Any help will be appreciated.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
Never had any luck with Dunlops, stick with Bridgestone or Michelin in my opinion.

Reactions: kostis-k4

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Shinko 705 tires, if you can get them.
Great tire, low price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lrobby thanks for answering....we have the Shinkos here but they r not very popular so u will probably get production dates from way back. They are more aggressive than the Tourances i'm currently running on and i'm looking to go smoother and more quite.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Lrobby thanks for answering....we have the Shinkos here but they r not very popular so u will probably get production dates from way back. They are more aggressive than the Tourances i'm currently running on and i'm looking to go smoother and more quite.
You have a point there about "quiet".
the Shinko's are not quiet. Between 35-50 they sing a loud song.
But in terms of ride quality and handling, I went from Tourance EXP's to Shinkos and LOVED the change.
good luck, friend.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
FWIW, I ran the Roadsmart I on my Aprilia when they first came out and they were OK, but didn't get any more mileage out of them than any other tire, 8K miles. I then tried a set of Michelin Pilot Roads, they improvement was dramatic, they felt extremely planted and gave me a lot of confidence in corners, I could lean the bike endlessly. My buddy was similarly impressed with them on his Kawasaki ZRX 1100, we also got great mileage, 12K+ miles. I haven't run them on the V Strom only because they're expensive and Bridgestone Battlewings 501/502's work so well and are inexpensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank u all for yr feedback. Just came back from the tyre shop. I fitted the new Trailsmart max on an offer i couldn't say no to. First impressions ....well....the bike seems to want to lean on its own....no resemblance to the Tourances noisewise .... mileage and performance through time remains to be seen....Thanks again....safe trails !!!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
FWIW, I ran the Roadsmart I on my Aprilia when they first came out and they were OK, but didn't get any more mileage out of them than any other tire, 8K miles. I then tried a set of Michelin Pilot Roads, they improvement was dramatic, they felt extremely planted and gave me a lot of confidence in corners, I could lean the bike endlessly. My buddy was similarly impressed with them on his Kawasaki ZRX 1100, we also got great mileage, 12K+ miles. I haven't run them on the V Strom only because they're expensive and Bridgestone Battlewings 501/502's work so well and are inexpensive.
When I got my bike it had PR3s on it which seemed fine. I went with a PR4 on the rear and it really handles great but looks like I am only going to get about 7K miles out of the rear so I am a little disappointed with the mileage. I recently put a PR4 on the front so I'll have to wait and see how that holds up but it is grippy.

I'm probably going to go with the Battlewings when the rear is due, even if I don't get more miles at least they are cheaper.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
When I got my bike it had PR3s on it which seemed fine. I went with a PR4 on the rear and it really handles great but looks like I am only going to get about 7K miles out of the rear so I am a little disappointed with the mileage. I recently put a PR4 on the front so I'll have to wait and see how that holds up but it is grippy.

I'm probably going to go with the Battlewings when the rear is due, even if I don't get more miles at least they are cheaper.
LMAO wish I could get 7K out of a rear tire!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
LMAO wish I could get 7K out of a rear tire!!
I was hoping for 9-10K so I guess my expectations were a bit high, the cost of the PR4 made it feel worse. I was jealous of om28 because he got 12K on his PRs. If you want to get 7K you'll just have to go easier on the throttle (probably not going to happen!)

·
Registered
287 Posts
....and Bridgestone Battlewings 501/502's work so well and are inexpensive.
I feel the same way.. Just had my 3rd set installed. Replaced as a pair each time with 8k miles (front could've gone quite a bit further in each case)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
dmfdmf;5140442 I'm probably going to go with the Battlewings when the rear is due said:
It appears the Battlewing 501 &502's are discontinued, they aren't on Bridgestone's website, replaced by the A41 I believe. Vendors still have them, but it seems they're stock is dwindling. I just picked a set least week, had to get the front and rear from different vendors. I haven't check the dates on the tires, but I'll bet they're a few years old. I'll wear through them in 2 seasons, so not much of an issue.

I seem to get the best mileage out of A/T 90/10 type tires, the original TW, Conti TrailAttacks, and BW's all got around 13K miles. I don't believe it's because of tread compound, it's just that they have more rubber with deeper tread.

Glad to hear the OP found some tires.

·
Registered
268 Posts
First impressions ....well....the bike seems to want to lean on its own....
Nice, new round tires will do that. That's a good thing, no? I have had good success with the Roadsmart line. Rather inexpensive and as long lasting as any I've tried.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
It appears the Battlewing 501 &502's are discontinued, they aren't on Bridgestone's website, replaced by the A41 I believe. Vendors still have them, but it seems they're stock is dwindling. I just picked a set least week, had to get the front and rear from different vendors. I haven't check the dates on the tires, but I'll bet they're a few years old. I'll wear through them in 2 seasons, so not much of an issue.

I seem to get the best mileage out of A/T 90/10 type tires, the original TW, Conti TrailAttacks, and BW's all got around 13K miles. I don't believe it's because of tread compound, it's just that they have more rubber with deeper tread.

Glad to hear the OP found some tires.
I'm going to lament the passing of the Battlewings. I was having the same trouble as you trying to locate them. Revzilla and American Moto Tire were the only vendors selling both sizes, and Revzilla had them priced as if they were made of Unobtanium. They were my alternate choice if I wanted something besides a Shinko 705. If the A41's are supposed to be a replacement, then they're an expensive replacement.

·
Registered
252 Posts
As you are thinking about 100% road tires I might throw out a suggestion.
I don't know if Pirelli is available where you are but I'm currently running Pirelli Night Dragon cruiser tires.
Although I only have about 3,000 miles on them, currently they look nearly new. They did take about 500+ miles to scuff and I suspect they will wear far better than my previous Metzler 880s.
Regarding Dunlops, I looking forward to the day I can get a set of Dunlop Elite or E3 to fit. I had Dunlop RS on either my BMW or GSXR (both were bagged for touring) I don't remember anything either good or bad about them.
Good Luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts