StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about debadging the chrome "S" on my tank...it just doesn't seem to fit, it looks like a sportbike logo on an adventure bike. I think the K9 V-strom decal looks good on it's own and I don't want to take that off. Just the S. Opinions?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I agree. I removed the S, which came off quite easily with a little heat from my daughter's hair dryer. I then got into trouble trying to remove the VStrom decal. I started with the left side, with some reservation, but it just did not want to come off. It took me about 20 minutes with hair dryer, fingernail scraping it in little pieces etc. I now have some stubborn sticky residue glue that I cannot remove. I've tried Goo B Gone, tar and bug remover, gasoline, WD-40 and paint thinner. It will just not come off. :furious:

I wonder if I should try a power grinder.:confused:

·
Registered
456 Posts
You're right, it doesn't fit - junk it like I did. If you take it off carefully you can always just put it back on - that backing tape stays very sticky.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If/when you decide to sell it you'll have people asking questions about spills, crashes etc. Some will believe you, others won't. I de-stickered my Wee and had to deal with that. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If anyone is having trouble getting adhesive off of paint an excellent product is SEM Solve. About 15 years ago my dad decided to desticker our conversion van, this left a 2 inch strip of the worst sticky I have ever seen. We had to go to an automotive paint store to find something to take it off. A quart of this in the garage is always handy.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I have no opinion on the subject, just trying to keep my post count up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
hmmmm?

The thing I have used and had work well is the bore cleaner that you use to clean yer shootin irons. It has desolved everything I have ever tried to remove including lead deposits. :jawdrop:

Flint

·
Registered
174 Posts
The S on the left side of my '09 just fell off... made it easy to decide pull the Right side (which was stuck on very well).

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I put BMW "Roundels" on my Vee. Fools everybody. Chicks dig it too.
I put "Vespa" stickers on mine, really pisses off the BMW guys when I pass them.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I put a small picture of boobs on mine. Just the boobs. I wanted something different, I suppose.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'll try the Hoppe's bore cleaner first when I get the bike back to Washington and the Sem-Solve if that doesn't do it. If that fails I'll go to the flat grinder or a jack hammer.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My sticky adhesive came off with rubbing alchohol.
Well I'll be darned. I never considered using that with all the other stuff I tried. I just tried it and it takes a bit of rubbing with fresh alchohol but it is coming off. This glue is really tough. They should sell it to NASA to use on the space shuttle to keep the tiles from separating upon reentry.

Now I don't have to use a jackhammer. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey, if you get 'em off in decent shape, can I have 'em? I got mine already de-badged and would kind of like to have just the silver S's back on. I'll pay whatever shipping charges there are.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If/when you decide to sell it you'll have people asking questions about spills, crashes etc. Some will believe you, others won't. I de-stickered my Wee and had to deal with that. Just something to consider.
"Hell yeah I crashed it! Lot's of times! But I rebuilt it - made it better, faster than it was before. Now that you mention it, the price just went UP!" :green_lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just used a fingernail to peel mine off. The S came off pretty easily, in about three pieces. It's just double sided tape holding it on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts