StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several threads - Big Oil Thread for example- which have become very long and tedious to scroll or read through. Couldn't we close those threads and start another one like Big Oil Thread II which would reference the original thread. I have been told a couple of times that I should have posted a question on such threads and my thread would then be closed. Heck who wants to read through 50 pages to see if your issue has been addressed before in a different format perhaps using different phrases. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Mod, shouldn't this post be moved to the "Complaints about long threads" thread? ;)

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Well,
Considering that there's nothing to figure out about oil (the manual says what to use and when to change it), the basic assumption is that anyone wondering about oil is anal-retentively OCD and will read through the 50 page oil thread anyway.

If you have time to worry about oil, then you have time to read the big oil thread.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Maybe consider splitting it into a chronological grouping to allow people to find the most current information while still having quick access to the older information.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You don't need to read the big oil thread. I do wish there was a better way to search a particular thread though. You can ask a question about oil. Just open the BOT and post a new question there. If you are willing to search for your answer first, use relevant search terms in the Google search box at the top of the page and Google will display links to specific pages in the BOT containing those terms.

I don't see how chronology would work. Very little has changed over time.

Do you really think this is a DL650 2004-2011 specific question?

·
Administrator
13,916 Posts
You don't need to read the big oil thread. I do wish there was a better way to search a particular thread though. You can ask a question about oil. Just open the BOT and post a new question there. If you are willing to search for your answer first, use relevant search terms in the Google search box at the top of the page and Google will display links to specific pages in the BOT containing those terms.

Pat, what's a "BOT"?

..Tom

·
38,103 Posts
BOT= Big Oil Thread. I got tired of typing it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
this thread makes me feel like Andy Rooney.....

·
38,103 Posts
Again, nobody's required to find anything already posted, just ask in the proper thread.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Heck who wants to read through 50 pages to see if your issue has been addressed before in a different format perhaps using different phrases. Just my opinion.
Hey Fuzz you don't have to rifle through it all. The standard search, advanced search and custom Google search are all 2 clicks away or less.

The advanced search is especially useful for drilling down in specific forums. Really does take the edge off.

·
Administrator
13,916 Posts
Again, nobody's required to find anything already posted, just ask in the proper thread.
We might need to make a thread so that people can ask which thread would be the most appropriate to to ask a question. Sometimes its hard to know which thread unless you are already aware there is such a thread.

It can be called "The Which Thread Thread"

:)

..Tom

·
Registered
15,732 Posts
To seek knowledge takes patience and perseverance. Something seems to be lacking here.
I wanna know and I wanna know now...Wah!:green_lol:

·
Registered
899 Posts
You think this is bad, try posting a question on the ST Owners forum. They have individual forums for each tire brand. That's forums, not threads. Seems like they create more forums every week...

I'd rather have a long thread than a 100 forums to watch.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't see the issue about some of these threads that have been closed because there's another. I would expect my question to get buried in the big thread and not receive as much exposure.

Who cares if it's been asked before. I'm sure most questions have been asked before so why don't we just turn this into a reference site rather than a forum, where discussion occurs. If you don't like the thread, don't go into it.

I won't be surprised to see the BOT causing problems later. Other forums I've been on have had to lock the big threads and start new version 2 threads to save resources.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts