StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I agree with the general consensus that the motor is fine. However, I thought I'd contribute an engineering explanation of what "break-in" actualy means so you can understand why the motor (probably) wasn't damaged by the rev to redline. There are two main elements to break-in; wearing or conforming mated, moving parts together and work hardening.

When a new motor is assembled many parts that are in physical contact with, such as bearing surfaces, cylinder wall and rings, etc. are not smoothly mated. Even though dimensionally within tolerance there are microscopic high points between the mating surface. These high points are a source of high friction and localized heating of the metals. This can cause damage to the crystaline structure of the metal surface leading to pitting, galling and other problems down the road. As the motor breaks-in these high spots are worn down and mate the surfaces together thus reducing friction. My guess is that 80% of that process is done by 200-300 miles.

The second element of break-in is work hardening of load bearing components. The con rods, crankshaft, bearing structures are under heavy loads at higher RPMs. The design and dimension of these components are based on the strength of the metal after being stressed in use. This process is probably 80% done by 2000-3000 miles but it explains the gradual break-in period. Work hardening takes time in service and as the metal strengthens over time it can then handle more stress (i.e. more RPMs) eventually reaching its design strength.

That said, I think the break-in recommendations are probably overly conservative for a variety of business and engineering reasons. With the high tolerances of modern metal manufacturing, the wear-in period is greatly reduced from 20 years ago but the 1000's of miles rule of thumb still persist like 3000mi oil changes.

On the other hand, the work-hardening period is a gradual process but is probably overly conservative to avoid warranty repairs. What causes a forged or cast part to fail under load is the inclusion of a flaw, a void or dislocation in the crystaline structure of the metal, that limits the stress it can take. However, modern casting and forging techniques have really good control over the source of these flaws so even this problem has been greatly reduced over the past 20 years. But the components in the 'Strom engine haven't been x-rayed and analyzed like a jet engine turbine blade to confirm there are no inclusions in the metal. What Suzuki is trying to avoid is breaking parts that have an inclusion that could have survived if the part was allowed to reached its max strength through work hardening.
Holy crap! What an answer! :oops: (y)

I have seen a jet engine mechanics YT channel and they (AgentJayZ) really have high turbine blade standards! This dude.

·
Registered
845 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Red Lines were meant to be broken. 👍 Next time make sure you're saddled and in gear.
I'd be nervous taking the bike off the centerstand without being in the saddle--especially with it running. Seems like a recipe for dumping it. Or--ahem--over revving it. Maybe I'm a weakling? Have I been doing it wrong?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't think I have ever pushed my bike off the center stand while it is running. I don't ride off the center stand either. I do practice walking the bike in gear while not in the saddle working up to mounting it while in gear and moving. Good skill to have to help the bike climb out of difficult situations using engine power when you could not ride. I have done it twice out of necessity. Is it routine for some to start the bike on the stand and then push it off? kfh000

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is it routine for some to start the bike on the stand and then push it off? kfh000
I of course put it on the stand while standing next to it, when there is a need for the centerstand. But generally speaking if I'm about to ride off, I mount the bike and rock it off the centerstand--that puts me astride the bike, with both feet to keep it stable. Then crank and go.

Am I doing it wrong? Feels like it'd be easy to dump the bike falling away from you otherwise.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't know about wrong....but I don't rock it off the stand when I'm on it. I don't hold on to the throttle either.

I stand next to the bike, hold on the same way I do when I put it up: left side handle bar and grab bar in back. Before I rock it off, I put the side stand down. Then, I gently rock it off and lean it slightly towards me- the side stand is deployed to help catch the bike if I've miscalculated the lean, or if the ground is rough and uneven.

..............shu

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I don't know about wrong....but I don't rock it off the stand when I'm on it. I don't hold on to the throttle either.

I stand next to the bike, hold on the same way I do when I put it up: left side handle bar and grab bar in back. Before I rock it off, I put the side stand down. Then, I gently rock it off and lean it slightly towards me- the side stand is deployed to help catch the bike if I've miscalculated the lean, or if the ground is rough and uneven.

..............shu
All this except not the rear rail but both hands on the bars and a finger on the front brake.
There's really no "right or wrong", unless you drop the bike.

Reactions: shu

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quite right about the finger on the front brake- I guess I do it that way too. But only when there is the danger of the bike running away downhill or running into something when it comes off the stand.

............shu

·
Registered
240 Posts
Also, this warning is from painful experience: make very sure that your left foot is not on the spot where the sidestand will contact the ground when bike drops down off the centerstand. Lost a toenail that way.....you'll never do it twice!

............shu

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
All this except not the rear rail but both hands on the bars and a finger on the front brake.
There's really no "right or wrong", unless you drop the bike.
You mean like this? My foot slipped off the center-stand pedal when lifting the Connie, I lost my balance and................. P1040101emailverysmall.JPG
P1040104emailsmallfornet.jpg

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
371 Posts
Thanks for all your input! I feel a little better about it. I did not notice the rev limiter working, all I saw was the needle zoom past 10.000 for a split second. I guess I'm OK as long as it doesn't start smoking on me. 😁:poop:
Here is a little hint for you. Don't start the engine until to are astride the motorcycle and in total control. Imagine what could happen if you bumped the shift lever when taking it off the centerstand with the engine running.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts