StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of putting together a gathering of the Stroms here in Ontario. I realise this would be a bit of work and planning but I think it would be very worth while. Some place central like around Barrie, Muskoka area that is not too far out of the way. Perhaps an out of the way camp ground or even private land where we can camp, do group rides and talk about our Stroms around a campfire. Someplace not too far from restaurants for those that prefer not to cook (or can't). Time it so it does not interfere with a long weekend or the big V-Strom gatherings at the Gap or South Dakota. I would love to have an event up here in Pembroke but this is a little out of the way for the majority. I think we have a good group of Strommers in this area as the ride out of Barrie at the end of April these last few years indicates. I think the time is right. Anyone interested in making this happen?
Gerhard

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I wonder how many over-nighters we would get. Would it be limited to Ontarioans only?

I could be coerced to do some planning if there was interest.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the only stipulation should be is to arrive on a V-Strom. If out of province/country Strommers want to attend. why not. Would be neat to have sponsors and have prizes for most distant attendee or the nicest V-Strom,etc., but at this stage of this idea, that is getting ahead of things. I guess that the most difficult part of this type of project is the right person(s) to put it all together and to find a good location. Once the ball starts rolling, I guess the next step would be to form a "committe" that would have taskings and duties delegated out to various volanteers ie; organised rides, activities, etc. I would love to see this become an annual event. Why should the Strommers south of the boarder have all the fun?
Gerhard

·
Registered
538 Posts
I wonder how many over-nighters we would get. Would it be limited to Ontarioans only?

I could be coerced to do some planning if there was interest.
If the timing was right (i.e. I didn't have some other commitment) overnight would actually suit me better. Those all day rides book-ended by 2-hour slab rides at either end seem to just about kill me these days. Not sure why since I can ride for hours by myself. I guess I stop more often or something when I'm alone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Riding up that way in the past has always presented a bit of a challenge for me coming from London. Not only did it make for a long day with alot of KM's but I always feel like I have to rush off to get home. I never really get the chance to talk to everyone, match faces to on-line names. An overnighter would certainly cure that. If this gets rolling, count me in and I'll offer any help I can supply from way down here in London.

·
Administrator
13,731 Posts
It sounds like a great idea, Gerhard!

The only issue I could see it finding a place to have it as most resorts, etc are booked pretty solid in the summer.

If is was to be camping then that probably would be easier to find a place (Mike's resort?) but there are people that are allergic to Camping. If we gave enough lead time, I am sure we could find a motel or something up north that would reserve a block of rooms.

..Tom

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yeah!

I like to camp too and southern Ontario isn't that far from the southern tier of WNY. I've only met one Strommer from Canada and he was a LEO from somewhere around toronto.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If I am free that weekend, I could see coming up home from Virginia.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Bass Lake Provincial Park is just outside Orillia.

We could satisfy those that choose (for some strange reason) to sleep on the ground AND those that choose (like civilized people) to sleep in a bed, under a roof. ;)
I remember being in between a pair of 2-week canoe trips a couple of years ago and spending one night in a motel on the road. After tossing and turning on the bed for an hour, I got out my trusty Thermarest and sleeping bag, and promptly feel asleep on the balcony. It was very civilized, until the neighbours got up the next morning and almost stepped on me in their haste to check out :mrgreen:.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I'd be interested in this and I think I can talk mikestrom into coming along on his Vee.

SS

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
On the ground???

Camping? You mean like sleeping on the ground? Ack! Maybe there's a local hotel/motel. Besides, I wouldn't want to keep you all awake making my girlfriend moan...

1 - 20 of 132 Posts