StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be taking a short trip in early May and might venture into the states, I am not really wanting to travel through any high congestion areas and was looking for reccommendations for good border crossing points. Not sure where I plan to go, Vermont, Pennsylvania maybe further south? Any suggestions?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Quite a few of your Ontario riding companions swear that, you can't go wrong with riding in the Southeastern portion of Ohio; right up next to West Virginia. And, West Virginia is pretty good too!

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you plan on seeing NY, VT and maybe NH, the most relaxed crossing point is at Prescott, between Kingston and Cornwall. You will not have to stop until you get to the other side, and there shouldn't be many cars to wait behind.

Lake Placid is not very far and you will hit no heavily populated areas at all.

If you should go the other route and cross at Buffalo, you will have to deal with Interstate traffic. There are some great roads around there like 219 that you can follow all day heading south...

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've been up your way from PA a lot and usually cross at Buffalo. I never ride weekends as I worked all of them, so I don't know about weekend traffic.
The area mentioned in Ohio is really nice, as well as West Virginia riding in that area. The oil and gas drilling have all the motels filled and it was hard to get a room there (October 2010). I stayed in New Martinsville and Marietta. There is good riding in between the two and around them in both
Ohio and WV.
If you head down through Buffalo into New York to PA I can give you some routes to ride. There is congestion through Buffalo and for the first half hour or so.
There are two "Grand Canyons" to see down this way- the "Grand Canyon of the East" in NY at Letchworth State Park, and the "Little Grand Canyon" in PA near Wellsboro, at Leonard Harrison and Colton Point State Parks. The NY canyon is a drive though, the PA canyon is an overlook and hiking. Just below the parks is some of the best riding in PA. One route takes you though elk country where you can see elk. (Rt. 36 in NY brings you down to the PA canyon.
Rt. 120 in PA is a good E/W route with 255 and 555 at the West end being in the Elk Viewing area.
You can do a quick trip between this area and the Ohio area by taking Rt. 220 (Rt. 99 now) down to Rt. 68 in MD, and then briefly on Rt. 79 in WV to either Rt. 7 or 20 to Ohio. This is interstate, but you cannot beat the scenery on almost the whole route, and it has little traffic and congestion for the most part. It is like riding a high speed country road with few corners.
Coming into the USA through NY and riding the Adirondacks is another option. Any route through there in the Adirondacks is good. For some reason we always used the Wolf Island Ferry to cross, but I haven't gone up that way for a few years. In VT you can go back and forth across the Green Mts. on Rts 17, 125 and 73 in just a few hours. Another suggestion is to ride down through Vermont on these roads to Bennington, then taking Rt. 9 east to Hampton Beach NH. (if you aren't familiar with the ocean it is a nice trip and nice beach).
If you are riding in PA, I am retired as of last month and would consider meeting up and riding along.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you plan on seeing NY, VT and maybe NH, the most relaxed crossing point is at Prescott, between Kingston and Cornwall. You will not have to stop until you get to the other side, and there shouldn't be many cars to wait behind.

Lake Placid is not very far and you will hit no heavily populated areas at all.

If you should go the other route and cross at Buffalo, you will have to deal with Interstate traffic. There are some great roads around there like 219 that you can follow all day heading south...
I agree with ajpower; you can easily avoid the 401 and GTA by crossing at Prescott and you will avoid large metropolitan areas. I have crossed here a few times and there is no congestion.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Last time I crossed back to Canada from Ogdensburg, I had to wait for 1 (one)
car. Sure seemed quiet at that time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Last time I crossed back to Canada from Ogdensburg, I had to wait for 1 (one)
car. Sure seemed quiet at that time.
The Prescot/Ogdensburg crossing is the one I use the most. It's an hour straight South from Ottawa, so it's easy for me, but I'd drive further to use it. There is also a UPS store in Ogdensburg that does fine business in receiving US parcels for Canadians to pick up. (They'll receive and hold most parcels or tires for $5 a week.) The riding surface on the bridge over the St. Lawrence is open grate, which gives me the wooly-wobbles; it's not a real problem. The ride from your home to Prescott can be done on some very nice roads if you travel across somewhat North of Hwy 7 for much of the way. Once crossed over at Prescot/Ogdensburg, the roads to Tupper Lake and Lake Placid and beyond in the Adirondacks are pleasant riding. Then again, I please easily if the roads have some twist and traffic is light.

I drove trucks for six years, and hated the Windsor to Detroit and Sarnia to Port Huron crossings the most. The lineups were often long, for both cars and trucks, and the border guards stressed and subsequently snarky. Buffalo was better. Thousand Islands (Alexandria Bay NY) was fine. Ogdensburg fine. I don't know what's happening at Cornwall/Massena, I have not crossed there in years. All the ones South and East of Montreal are fine, if you're thinking of hitting Vermont and NH that way, but Montreal is still no fun to get through, and the new Autoroute 30 bypassing the Island is still some years away, I'd guess.

If your idea is to do SE Ohio and parts of West Virginia (it *is* nice there), Lake Erie is smack in your way from Hepworth. I'd pick Buffalo over Detroit to cross over. You can make your way down through NY and PA on the way to Ohio. Riding or driving in Ohio, other than that SE corner, can be a big yawn except for avoiding large trucks.

My own $0.02, your biases may differ.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
For a solo crossing, the Windsor/Detroit or the better Sarnia/Blue water bridge crossing isn't a bother.

It all depends on where you want to end up. Mid Ohio is a worthy destination for fantastic twisties, and fun whacky places to get a beer or grilled baloney sandwich.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
For a solo crossing, the Windsor/Detroit or the better Sarnia/Blue water bridge crossing isn't a bother.

It all depends on where you want to end up. Riding thru Detroit is truly a mind expander, and the food offerings there are really awesome. Mid Ohio is a worthy destination for fantastic twisties, and fun whacky places to get a beer or grilled baloney sandwich.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info, was thinking about heading towards Wheeling, West Virginia so maybe Niagara/Buffalo might be my best bet. Once I get there I'll work on where to go next based on how much time I have left.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Crossing to the US

Make your way to Kingston, have a fine lunch in town or tour Fort Henry, take the free ferry over to Wolfe Island and tour around for a bit then take a small private ferry accross to Cape Vincent New York. The ferry ride is a couple of bucks and it only holds around 8 cars so the line up on the US side is never long.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I have crossed the border a lot.

If you are going to Michigan, which is a fine state to visit, I suggest you cross from Sarnia to Port Huron. The folks at each side of the Blue Water Bridge have always (and I mean from 1963) been cordial to me.

Detroit's Ambassador Bridge seems to be staffed by surly incompetent oafs.
I have been detained there for endless questioning, and nobody would even
tell me why the interrogation was so intense. Another time, when my documents were handed back to me, I also received the papers of a gent from Ohio. The tunnel forbids motorcycles.

Going to New York and Pennsylvania, I find that the bridge from Highway 405
to Lewiston is busier than the Rainbow Bridge is busier than the Peace Bridge.

If you are going to Vermont, then Ivy Lea and Cornwall are good places to
cross, in either direction. Going to and from Ivy Lea, the scenery is great.

I believe Vermont requires reflective tape on the left and right sides of helmets. New Jersey may also.

I take off my helmet and smile. This sight is so gruesome that most Customs Guards hasten to send me on my way almost immediately. The minimum number of questions ever is zero. That was at the NY end of the Peace Bridge.

Good luck!
Keith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts