StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how many of us are there?

Is it worth trying to organize some kind of gathering?

What does everyone think; single day? weekend?

Do we try and gather where the majority are or should we focus on a spot with some good roads?

I'll start off:

I'm Jim, I live in Barrie and I should have a nice shiny 2006 Big Strom by the end of March. (Colour still to be decided)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ian - Barrie with big Strom sitting in the garage.

I'm up for a ride sometime this year. I'll have Sundays and Mondays off so i'd be able to make it for a Sunday ride for sure.

I'm sure I'll be posting a few rides here come springtime, I'm starting to get a few ideas together now.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Shepherd said:
I'm sure I'll be posting a few rides here come springtime, I'm starting to get a few ideas together now.
No pavement? All ski-doo trails? Lots of dirt and mud and bogs and stuff? I hope I get a couple hundred kms on my Strom before I throw it down in the dirt some place. :lol:

Let us know about your favorite roads in our area.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Heavy said:
The Shepherd said:
No pavement? All ski-doo trails? Lots of dirt and mud and bogs and stuff? I hope I get a couple hundred kms on my Strom before I throw it down in the dirt some place. :lol:

Let us know about your favorite roads in our area.
I haven't had the Strom long enough to get on some nice hardpacked and dry gravel yet. I'll be starting off on the pavement for sure in the spring until the surrounding fields and whatnot have time to dry out. I'll be looking to try some gravel roads / rail trails and whatnot but not right away.

As for roads around Barrie, you mentioned Southwoods Rd. #13. I usually combine that with Bala #38 or go through Bala to #632 and back down to Windamere....awesome twisties. Also Coopers Falls Rd. to Hwy #118 then across to Haliburton where I either take #507 down to Bobcaygeon and Fenelon Falls or go further east to Elephant Lake. Rd then through Algonquin Park then head to Dorset and the firetower.

West out of Barrie we do the shorter Creemore / Terra Nova thing and head south for Hockley Valley as well, there is another road between them which is good too. Rd. #2 North just NW of Angus is nice as well, you follow one side of the escarpment through Ravenna to Georgian Bay then we'll take Beaver Valley Rd. back down and check out how they are coming along with the windmills at Shelbourne.

Sometimes I ride for certain roads, other times I just try and pick a destination that is different to go to. Places like downtown Fergus or Bruce Nuclear to check out the big windmills there.

I'll be looking to try and add some gravel bits to some of these rides or come up with other routes. I just need to get a map or two out. Maybe try hugging Georgian Bay tightly or taking a real long ride and going all the way around Algonquin the shortest route possible......hmmm.

I also was looking at this website, http://www.ontarioghosttowns.com/ to see if there is any places that look interesting that would be a decent destination to go take some pictures. I've been through or to a few on the list but will most likely check out a few more.

I don't think I'm going to be doing any mud bogging on the Strom heh, I can certainly see gravel roads and maybe a nice hardpacked dirt trail but I'll leave the slop and big ruts to the dirt bike crowd I think.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like we frequent the same roads around here. I know what you're saying about mud and stuff, I think gravel will be enough fun, specially early on. I saw an article about 3 guys on Stroms that rode the Continental Divide. Almost all dirt and some of it pretty gnarly for a bike the size of ours.

I think the Nippising Road, North of us, would be a good ride.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Heavy said:
Sounds like we frequent the same roads around here. I know what you're saying about mud and stuff, I think gravel will be enough fun, specially early on. I saw an article about 3 guys on Stroms that rode the Continental Divide. Almost all dirt and some of it pretty gnarly for a bike the size of ours.

I think the Nippising Road, North of us, would be a good ride.
I've seen some of the ride reports at http://www.advrider.com/ , some of those guys are alot more hardcore than I think I'd ever be. I'd just be happy to head to James Bay, Goose Bay, or Inuvik at some point on the Strom...though the western US has some really nice scenery.

As for the Nippissing Rd, you are talking about this here? http://www.onlink.net/~woodland/trail.htm , I'd really be up for that. It sounds like it'd be a great ride with alot to see.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ride

We're near Kingston, Ontario. Let us know if you set something up.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dedinpool said:
I would be interested checking it out!

Pete
Hey Pete, you're welcome along. The more people we have in the group the easier it will be to pick up my Strom when I drop it. :wink:

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Ontario riders

Hi
I am Jim in Scarborough. I have a blue 05 Wee Strom. I definitely want to ride the James Bay Road this summer but not alone. Maybe we can put together a small group? Rosseau to Nippising looks like a very interesting day ride.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Jim,

I'm also a Jim. Maybe we can get together a Stromtrooping group and head out for a ride some day before long.

See you around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi, I am from Montreal and willing to ride.
Paulo

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm Bob for Toronto (south Etobicoke) I get my strom on May 13th (15th I turn 48) Can't wait to ride hope the weather's good on the 13th I want to put 3-400 k's on get start getting it broken in. I'd love to ride but need lots of notice. Got a friend with a Triumph Tiger and another with a BMW 900 could they come too?

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like we better start getting organized and consider a possible date for this gathering.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Bob, I'm in Etobicoke north and ride with a bunch of nice folks on Tuesdays. Yes they make fun of my bike and more than a few ride cruisers, but it's all in good fun :lol:

I'd love to do an Ontario ride, but I'm booked until June 17th weekend and the 18th I'm taking a course

Chopper said:
I'm Bob for Toronto (south Etobicoke) I get my strom on May 13th (15th I turn 48) Can't wait to ride hope the weather's good on the 13th I want to put 3-400 k's on get start getting it broken in. I'd love to ride but need lots of notice. Got a friend with a Triumph Tiger and another with a BMW 900 could they come too?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Night Wolf I'm originally from north Etobicoke grew up north of the Albion Mall. Went to good old NACI. Ya I got my wife a 500 Vulcan last year for passing th Humber course. My friend with the Tiger his wife took the course with my wife and she too picked up a 500 Vulcan. Plus someone they met on the course got a Vulcan as well. All three women are 45 and they want to call themselves the Vulcanettes. Blah , ugh. So I have to sheppard them around so they can get experiance. As a truck driver I have a few easy rides planned out west of here.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts