·
Administrator
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I tried, but

The petition is limited to residents of Canada.

I ride a lot in Canada; today I rode two of my bikes in Toronto and Thornhill. So I am subject to this law, the same as anyone else who rides in Canada. I can certainly understand the limitation, and am not complaining about it.

Any measure that gives cops the power to levy penalties is begging to be abused. Due process is mocked and the citizenry are victimized by any such law, instead of being protected.

I repeat, cops are human, and motivated by many things, some of them totally improper. Just like me. Any cop who can cue a drug-sniffing dog to manufacture a reason to search might do it, and therefore some of them will. Any cop who has the power to punish might do it unjustly, and therefore some of them will.

Good luck with your petition.
Keith

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for posting this V-Tom. I'm not a fan of this law to start with and was quite surprised to find out about the 7 day suspension staying on your record even if you are found not guilty!! That isn't what I call justice.

·
Administrator
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been told that there have not yet been any convictions on this law. The prosecution is plea bargaining it down to 49 kph over (in the case of speeding) or other lessor infractions in other cases.

None the less, the seven day license suspension is staying on people's records, and the costs associated with impounding the vehicle and the subesquent relase (I am hearing around the $1000 mark) are yours to pay even if the charges are dropped or you are shown to be innocent.

..Tom

Thanks for posting this V-Tom. I'm not a fan of this law to start with and was quite surprised to find out about the 7 day suspension staying on your record even if you are found not guilty!! That isn't what I call justice.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Just signed. We need sensible laws not this kind of crap.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Signed by moi also.

It's still amazing to me that a vehicle can be impounded on the spot without a conviction. I don't condone reckless driving but anyone charged with an offence should have their day in court before being punished.

- Martin

Disclaimer (for the Guverment's Central Scrutinizer): I am a Good Boy and Never Exceed the Speed Limit Set Forth by the Dear Leader of our Mighty Province. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Guilty of a suspension with no court process is not acceptable.

·
Registered
279 Posts
signed! dangerous law.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Signed

They tried to get me on this one last October on Hwy 9 & 10 for standing on my pegs.

This law includes the word "STUNTING" as in "a driver not sitting on a drivers seat while operating a motor vehicle".

The OPP officer stated that he could impound my bike, and take my drivers licence away. He didn't thank god, but I was pissed.

So I wrote to the Toronto Star Newspaper and Mark Richardson an editor for the Wheels section wrote a nice story about it. You guys may have read it.

This law is not only for speeding over 50kms but includes a lot of hidden sub-sections within it.

Cheers

Rui

·
Registered
213 Posts
Signed up.
I agree the law is flawed.
It gives a cop having a bad day way to much power to make your life miserable. Even if your found NOT guilty in court you still have incurred all that cost for the inpound/tow and the loss of use for the vehicle.
OPP's new slogan "To Serve & Profit"

·
Registered
751 Posts
Done...what a load of CRAP!
Getting a suspension on your permanent record for STANDING ON YOUR PEGS?
WTF???:weapons_73:

·
Administrator
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many people don't realize how bad this law is.. the government might have had the best intentions when they wrote and passed it but so many things are thrown in and with the powers given to the officers there is huge potential for abuse. It has virtually nothing to do with street racing.

Some things thrown in the law:

Not sitting on the seat.
Squealing tires.
Sliding,
Changing two lanes at one time
Too close to another vehicle.
Left turn before opposing traffic goes at traffic light
holding up traffic in passing
50 km/hr over
and I think some others.

I don't disagree with all the infractions being bad thing, but many are left to the officers discretion and even if the officer is proved wrong in court you still have had your license suspended (stays on record forever), vehicle impounded and have to pay to have the vehicle released as well as impound costs. I believe that if you argue with the officer when being given the suspension, etc that fines can be doubled.

Its a bad law!

..Tom

Done...what a load of CRAP!
Getting a suspension on your permanent record for STANDING ON YOUR PEGS?
WTF???:weapons_73:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well I do agree that the discretion of the officer is far to open to suggestion and opinion... I don't think the solution is reducing the sentence.

I do agree with Street Racers losing there vehicle for 7 days. I am Ex-Street Racer myself and while I was never caught (well once I got an imprudent driving ticket for an AWD U-turn under boost) and never crashed I look back and think about the stupid choices I made.

I have known several people killed as a result of street racing and one good friend as a result of stunting.

7 days is better then eternity. Dont want to lose your car or bike, dont race. Its that simple.

Worried about the Officer being unfair? So am I, be humble and have a good attitude and chances are you will be left alone, even after they pull you over for stretching or standing on the pegs.

The Officers discretion applies to alot more laws then this one, and thats where I think the problem lies. When it comes down to it, its his word against yours unless you have witness's, and you know who the court is going to side with.

-Steve

·
Administrator
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If this law was actually being used for street racing alone, and only street racing, I think you would find a lot less resistance, although I would still object to the principal of having roadside officers administrating justice. If the law called for the officer to take you in front of a judge or justice of the peace who could then decide based on what the office says *and what you say* that your license should be suspended and the car confiscated then I would have no problem. (btw, I believe that already was the case before this law was passed.)

I do have a problem as to what is actually going on: people that are only doing one thing wrong (exceeding a limit by 50kph, squealing tires, sliding a car, lifting off of a driver's seat, etc) are getting licenses suspended when in almost every case there is nothing even remotely close to street racing happening. This isn't following the spirit of the law even remotely.

..Tom

Well I do agree that the discretion of the officer is far to open to suggestion and opinion... I don't think the solution is reducing the sentence.

I do agree with Street Racers losing there vehicle for 7 days. I am Ex-Street Racer myself and while I was never caught (well once I got an imprudent driving ticket for an AWD U-turn under boost) and never crashed I look back and think about the stupid choices I made.

I have known several people killed as a result of street racing and one good friend as a result of stunting.

7 days is better then eternity. Dont want to lose your car or bike, dont race. Its that simple.

Worried about the Officer being unfair? So am I, be humble and have a good attitude and chances are you will be left alone, even after they pull you over for stretching or standing on the pegs.

The Officers discretion applies to alot more laws then this one, and thats where I think the problem lies. When it comes down to it, its his word against yours unless you have witness's, and you know who the court is going to side with.

-Steve

·
Registered
538 Posts
I do have a problem as to what is actually going on: people that are only doing one thing wrong (exceeding a limit by 50kph, squealing tires, sliding a car, lifting off of a driver's seat, etc) are getting licenses suspended when in almost every case there is nothing even remotely close to street racing happening. This isn't following the spirit of the law even remotely.

..Tom
I'm curious; this lifting-your-ass-off-the-seat thing keeps getting mentioned as grounds for a suspension, but does anyone actually know of someone that got nailed for that, AND ONLY THAT, under this new law? I sure haven't. Which of course doesn't mean it hasn't happened :rolleyes1:

·
Administrator
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't heard of someone having their license suspended over it, but have heard of serveral riders being pulled over and warned that they could have had their license suspended over it.

My suspicion is that if the officer does not have something else solid to get you on (ie: he thinks you were doing 50 over but didn't have radar and saw you lift you butt for train tracks) he might use it.

I think much in this law is worng, but there is something incredibly wrong with punishment being doled out at the roadside in this manner.

..Tom

I'm curious; this lifting-your-ass-off-the-seat thing keeps getting mentioned as grounds for a suspension, but does anyone actually know of someone that got nailed for that, AND ONLY THAT, under this new law? I sure haven't. Which of course doesn't mean it hasn't happened :rolleyes1:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts